• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: Good, Actually

Phil

Chytil seems to be the odd man out in this case. I still think Strome makes a good 2C. It's the 3C spot that's going to help make this team tougher to play against. I thought Rooney was fine last season in that 4C role.

Who's potentially Bergeron? To me Chytil needs to play wing. He would flourish there with a less demanding simpler role. Straight line, use his speed and size. Part of me thinks he's a better wing prospect than Kakko or Kravtsov. If the Rangers had to move one of those guys to get a legit top 6 center who played with grit (Dubois say) then slide Chytil over to the vacant wing. Top 9 Line up something like this

Laffy Zib Buch

Panarin Strome Chytil

Kreider Dubois Kakko/Kravtsov (whomever remains)

Zibanejad. Can play a shut down role, and can be very hard to play against, while being a scoring threat.

I still like Chytil as C. The Rangers need at least 1 shoot-first C at event strength. Who knows what Zibanejad shows up on a nightly basis. Being a lefty in the middle doing this could be a great fit with Lafreniere, too. Similar to your Panarin-Strome pair, except 1 guy wants to shoot the puck.

it would be interesting to see how Chytil handles this season. if he cant move up to 2nd C and displace Strome, he's garbage

Chytil's underlying numbers are very good. I think he just needs the opportunity. At the same time, I'm not sure the Rangers are in a position where they can go "all-in" on the idea that Chytil will take it and run.

Chytil had the best points/60 at even strength of any C on the team last season. Quality of competition lower, yes, but still an impressive feat. He was 3rd on the team behind Panarin and Buch.

He might be better than Strome already, but he may never get the chance here because Quinn didn't use the opportunity this year to do it.

Chytil's underlying numbers are very good. I think he just needs the opportunity. At the same time, I'm not sure the Rangers are in a position where they can go "all-in" on the idea that Chytil will take it and run.

Chytil had the best points/60 at even strength of any C on the team last season. Quality of competition lower, yes, but still an impressive feat. He was 3rd on the team behind Panarin and Buch.

He might be better than Strome already, but he may never get the chance here because Quinn didn't use the opportunity this year to do it.

I’d still love to see a third line of kids enjoy some consistent playing time against 3rd pair Ds.

What opportunity? Chytil was hurt and Strome has not given anyone a reason to remove him as Pararin's pivot, much less put a player like Chytil there.

What opportunity? Chytil was hurt and Strome has not given anyone a reason to remove him as Pararin's pivot, much less put a player like Chytil there.

I think the last X games of the year when we were clearly done was a massively missed opportunity to exclusively roll the kids big minutes at both ES and PP. Chytil especially given his production rate.

right. chytil did not play well enough to even be considered on the 2nd line in place of Strome. i'd like to see what he does next season. im not a big fan of him on the 3rd line

I think the last X games of the year when we were clearly done was a massively missed opportunity to exclusively roll the kids big minutes at both ES and PP. Chytil especially given his production rate.

Oh, gotcha. Fair point.

Why does he have to play LW if he moves to wing?

He doesn't have to, but he's been traditionally listed as a C/LW and it's "normal" for lefty shots to be left wings.

Exceptions exist to every rule (Panarin, as an example, or Buchnevich the other way), but he'd probably slot in on the left before they try him on the off wing.

This is honestly one of those things that Josh or Pete would explain better from a technical sense - my "because that's how it is" isn't really the best way to understand this and I'm certain there's a reason for it.

He doesn't have to, but he's been traditionally listed as a C/LW and it's "normal" for lefty shots to be left wings.

Exceptions exist to every rule (Panarin, as an example, or Buchnevich the other way), but he'd probably slot in on the left before they try him on the off wing.

This is honestly one of those things that Josh or Pete would explain better from a technical sense - my "because that's how it is" isn't really the best way to understand this and I'm certain there's a reason for it.

But the spot open is likely RW. If they're moving him to wing, it's gotta be in the top 9. Lafreniere, Panarin and Kreider are there already.

The spot likely open is opposite Panarin. Whom I really want to see him play with. I feel like his style and where he wind up on the ice would benefit the both of them. Having him on the doorstep on the right side for tap ins and garbage goals is perfect for him. Add in his puck carrying ability with his willingness to go into the corners and along the boards adds a dimension to that line that they certainly should try.

I just don't think Chytil checks the box we need. He's more a perimeter player from what I've seen of him so far. He is a talented guy and good skater, but I'm thinking he may just be another player best used to secure a "dirty area" type player.

I just don't think Chytil checks the box we need. He's more a perimeter player from what I've seen of him so far. He is a talented guy and good skater, but I'm thinking he may just be another player best used to secure a "dirty area" type player.

individualistic more than anything IMO

• Like 1

I feel like this part of his game is unfair scrutinized. He's actually their best straight line center, and most likely to attack the net. He gets a lot of his goals in front finding open space, or from attacking the net when he has the puck.

I can't find a shot chart, but he always seems to be driving to the net. Great sign from a young kid with size. Needs to pick up the frequency.

I feel like this part of his game is unfair scrutinized. He's actually their best straight line center, and most likely to attack the net. He gets a lot of his goals in front finding open space, or from attacking the net when he has the puck.

I can't find a shot chart, but he always seems to be driving to the net. Great sign from a young kid with size. Needs to pick up the frequency.

I'd really like to see him take steps in his progression this season, Josh. The guy's got a very powerful stride and at 6' 3" could very well be a player that can fill that center hole "in house".

I think the injury last season hurt him more in progress than anything. I think it's more the fact that I really can't rate him because the sample size may not be big enough yet, but I'd love to see him be THAT guy that can be a #1 or #2 Center...I'm trying to see where and how he could fit in.

I'm hoping he can show us more this season....I just don't see him playing wing though.

I'd really like to see him take steps in his progression this season, Josh. The guy's got a very powerful stride and at 6' 3" could very well be a player that can fill that center hole "in house".

I think the injury last season hurt him more in progress than anything. I think it's more the fact that I really can't rate him because the sample size may not be big enough yet, but I'd love to see him be THAT guy that can be a #1 or #2 Center...I'm trying to see where and how he could fit in.

I'm hoping he can show us more this season....I just don't see him playing wing though.

He does take shots from in tight, and can get to the net, but gets to the net by going wide. If he can't beat a guy wide, he peels off and the play dies. He just doesn't get the puck to the middle much.

Now you can say what you want about Strome and Zib but Chytil is more of the same, the other 2 are better and more productive players, which kind of makes him the odd man out. They're also just smarter players than Chytil, who's mostly a player who wants to go 1:1 and not really distribute.

He's much better on the wing going wide and would be good on the right side which he seems to prefer driving down, anyway.

I, too, think he'd be better on the RW over the LW, but I still like him at C.

Everyone's talked about Hertl, but they have very similar games when the same age - with Chytil with more offensive ability, and a much better skater. Both entered the league with defensive question marks. Another good comparison for Chytil - a young Mika Zibanejad. All three have a very similar style in how they cover the ice. Long players that anticipate the play. Chytil is another kid I'm excited to see play in a different system.

He does take shots from in tight, and can get to the net, but gets to the net by going wide. If he can't beat a guy wide, he peels off and the play dies. He just doesn't get the puck to the middle much.

Now you can say what you want about Strome and Zib but Chytil is more of the same, the other 2 are better and more productive players, which kind of makes him the odd man out. They're also just smarter players than Chytil, who's mostly a player who wants to go 1:1 and not really distribute.

He's much better on the wing going wide and would be good on the right side which he seems to prefer driving down, anyway.

I, too, think he'd be better on the RW over the LW, but I still like him at C.

Everyone's talked about Hertl, but they have very similar games when the same age - with Chytil with more offensive ability, and a much better skater. Both entered the league with defensive question marks. Another good comparison for Chytil - a young Mika Zibanejad. All three have a very similar style in how they cover the ice. Long players that anticipate the play. Chytil is another kid I'm excited to see play in a different system.

Chytil seems less instinctive than Strome and Zibby to me, Pete. I would think it's lack of experience, or maybe he just doesn't have the confidence yet. I also consider him the odd man out because he does have the qualities that Josh described...as well as you, But I think G man said it best, "we need a bottle of Dewars Gold, and not Dom Perignon". (I can identify with that!!! LOL)

It's really going to interesting to see what we do with him over the summer. I would absolutely love to see this kid blossom. It would fill a gigantic need up the middle and save us a ton in cap and also assets.

At 21 years old, Zibanejad had finally broken the .5 points per game barrier with 46 points in 80 games during 14 minutes a game while playing horrible defensive hockey. A season later, he was traded to the Rangers.

Chytil put up 22 in 42 and was a +9 during an injury plagued, covid-mess of a season.

At 21 years old, Zibanejad had finally broken the .5 points per game barrier with 46 points in 80 games during 14 minutes a game while playing horrible defensive hockey. A season later, he was traded to the Rangers.

Chytil put up 22 in 42 and was a +9 during an injury plagued, covid-mess of a season.

I don't see how you can compare players way... they're in different roles, the teams are in different stages, hell the conferences are different this year.

11 of his 22 points came against the Devils and Flyers.

I don't see how you can compare players way... they're in different roles, the teams are in different stages, hell the conferences are different this year.

11 of his 22 points came against the Devils and Flyers.

It's the style of play, with some statistics to help the blind [eye test] folks.

Chytil has massive potential. His stock has soured a little because he's been in the league 3 plus years now. He's only 21. K'andre Miller is 21 but people are not knocking his potential despite his inconsistent season. Chytil needs time and to earn more of a role in which to succeed. I'm ok with moving him in the right trade but I do think people are rushing to judgement on what he is and isn't at this point. I do believe Chytil at wing would expedite his development, giving him less responsibility and allowing him to focus on what he does well, skate and stretch the defense. I would much rather keep him over Strome because of the potential and he's cost controlled for a couple more years where Strome is not.

Chytil has massive potential. His stock has soured a little because he's been in the league 3 plus years now. He's only 21. K'andre Miller is 21 but people are not knocking his potential despite his inconsistent season. Chytil needs time and to earn more of a role in which to succeed. I'm ok with moving him in the right trade but I do think people are rushing to judgement on what he is and isn't at this point. I do believe Chytil at wing would expedite his development, giving him less responsibility and allowing him to focus on what he does well, skate and stretch the defense. I would much rather keep him over Strome because of the potential and he's cost controlled for a couple more years where Strome is not.

On paper, yes, but this presumes he remains a center and really requires him to take big steps forward to fill that role. It's a lot to expect of someone who hasn't really shown that big jump in play yet.

I think his work in the corners has improved by quite a bit. Nobody knows his ceiling because he was never really given opportunity in the top 6 or any significance on the PP. I understand the argument that those opportunities have to be earned or whatever, but I think he has all the tools and he just starting to build his game.