• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: Good, Actually

Phil

You made your post at same time as mine. Yeah, stomach churning is accurate lol

I would do 5 yrs max on Strome if we had to keep him. I wouldn't keep him though for the reasons I've stated in the homo thread. He's in that one trick pony group and we need to cut those down.

Sure, but Pete's point about Nylander/Gomez echoes loudly here. Don't fuck with happy. I'd rather see him fail in the playoffs before I'm willing to cut bait and potentially bring in an option that may ultimately fare worse.

Sure, but Pete's point about Nylander/Gomez echoes loudly here. Don't fuck with happy. I'd rather see him fail in the playoffs before I'm willing to cut bait and potentially bring in an option that may ultimately fare worse.

I would agree with this statement but this statement is far from the same as giving Strom 6-8 years then waiting to see if he fails in the playoffs. Quite honestly I don't want to give anyone 6-8 years. Now of course elite players will force your hand but Strome while good is not elite and I'm not signing him for that long, period. I will trust that Panarin can produce with other centers besides Strome rather than give in to those demands.

You guys realize that 8 years now is really 9 years because he has a year left on his deal? It would take him until he's 37. That's insanity. He hasn't proven enough over a long enough period of time to be worth that kind of committment.

I'm completely with you here, that's beyond stomach churning. At least 3+ years too long imo. I would think there's a better chance he's dealt before he signs a 8 year deal here.

I would agree with this statement but this statement is far from the same as giving Strom 6-8 years then waiting to see if he fails in the playoffs. Quite honestly I don't want to give anyone 6-8 years. Now of course elite players will force your hand but Strome while good is not elite and I'm not signing him for that long, period. I will trust that Panarin can produce with other centers besides Strome rather than give in to those demands.
People thought Jagr could produce with anyone, too.

I get it. I don't WANT eight years either. Ideally, it's five and perfectly runs alongside Panarin's contract, but the key is AAV. If another year or so is needed to bring it down, I'm okay with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He also fucked up his shoulder - which are tough injuries to come back from. Shoulder injuries always linger for the rest of your career.

Trying to throw a punch at ... Scott Gomez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

People thought Jagr could produce with anyone, too.

When somebody score 766 career goals and has almost 2000 points I'm pretty sure that yes he can produce with anyone. The one year he had with Nylander was special but still not his best statistical year. His second year here was an average year for him than he fucked up his shoulder at 36 years old and never put up the numbers Jagr was used to. That said he was still productive relative to the average NHLer and that was in his late 30's into 40.

Nylander did shit his entire career without Jagr. Jagr has 20 plus years and is an all time great yet you are hung up on 1 season Jagr had while playing with Nylander? That's the reasoning now 15 years later to why not to make a trade of Ryan Strome for a much better player? I think there is an argument to avoid Eichel, ie money, injury, attitude. To me it is not because Ryan Strome is indispensable

The Rangers want to be hard to play against. Strome is easy to play against. If he was not on PP1 his his production would be just ok. As far as I'm concerned he is the poster child for the type of players the Rangers need to move on from, not extend in any way.
  • Like 1

The Rangers want to be hard to play against. Strome is easy to play against. If he was not on PP1 his his production would be just ok. As far as I'm concerned he is the poster child for the type of players the Rangers need to move on from, not extend in any way.

On the money.

Strome has produced the numbers. With a different set of centers here he would fit fine. Rangers cannot have 2 soft centers as their top 2 with Chytil taking the third center spot you are playing 50plus minutes of the game with jello soft players down your middle. It's a problem not entirely made up of Strome. In all honesty 2 of them need to go.

I'm not super upset to see Strome dealt for a center that's harder to play against, but I think the opposite is true as well: if you get Strome a player who's hard enough to play against that space is created, Strome can take advantage of that and score. He's proven that nicely.

More than one way to skin this cat.

Problem being, this is every Rangers center.

Thing is, Strome is a smart player. His defensive game will only improve with age. And his offense has been great since he came. What you hope is for more consistency among all the Cs, and you have what could be Bergeron-Krecji-Hertl comparisons with Zibanejad-Strome-Chytil once they round out form. Obviously high projections but that’s your potential

Problem being, this is every Rangers center.

Thing is, Strome is a smart player. His defensive game will only improve with age. And his offense has been great since he came. What you hope is for more consistency among all the Cs, and you have what could be Bergeron-Krecji-Hertl comparisons with Zibanejad-Strome-Chytil once they round out form. Obviously high projections but that’s your potential

Who's potentially Bergeron? To me Chytil needs to play wing. He would flourish there with a less demanding simpler role. Straight line, use his speed and size. Part of me thinks he's a better wing prospect than Kakko or Kravtsov. If the Rangers had to move one of those guys to get a legit top 6 center who played with grit (Dubois say) then slide Chytil over to the vacant wing. Top 9 Line up something like this

Laffy Zib Buch

Panarin Strome Chytil

Kreider Dubois Kakko/Kravtsov (whomever remains)

Who's potentially Bergeron? To me Chytil needs to play wing. He would flourish there with a less demanding simpler role. Straight line, use his speed and size. Part of me thinks he's a better wing prospect than Kakko or Kravtsov. If the Rangers had to move one of those guys to get a legit top 6 center who played with grit (Dubois say) then slide Chytil over to the vacant wing. Top 9 Line up something like this

Laffy Zib Buch

Panarin Strome Chytil

Kreider Dubois Kakko/Kravtsov (whomever remains)

Problem is that if Chytil plays wing, he plays LW. And he's wasted in a third line role. So you're moving off Laf or Panarin if you want that, not Kakko or Buchnevich.