Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laine Opens Up About Deep Struggles with the Blue Jackets

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    I think people are confusing Safe is Death Torts with modern-day Torts.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    And that's what im saying. I'm not saying he's the end all be all reason some players come and go but he's a reason. I guess you can say that for every coach techically but some coaches perk up a player's radar more than others. Torts is the more.
    I think what hurts Torts the most is his reputation. Some players might just be afraid of the idea of playing under a "hard-ass" when that isn't a wholly accurate description of him. When it comes to Babcock versus Tortorella I'd take Tortorella any day because, despite Babcock's record, Tortorella has shown to be the more compassionate and understanding of the two. His time in Columbus has done quite a bit in rehabbing his image because he's started to understand the nuances of interpersonal relationships with players. It's crazy that it took nearly two decades of coaching experience to get there, but I'd argue it's better to make that discovery than not. I wish he would've had more patience with players like Avery and Gaborik back in the day, although his criticisms of them were justified to an extent.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I think people are confusing Safe is Death Torts with modern-day Torts.
    I don't know. I'd say most of us here watch enough current hockey to give an educated opinion. We are talking about tjr guy that benched Laine like 4 periods into his Columbus career. He's evolved for sure but he still has some flaws.

I don't know. I'd say most of us here watch enough current hockey to give an educated opinion. We are talking about tjr guy that benched Laine like 4 periods into his Columbus career. He's evolved for sure but he still has some flaws.
    Players liked safe is death torts. They all hate modern Torts.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Players liked safe is death torts. They all hate modern Torts.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    But you're immediately assuming he was wrong to bench Laine.

Since when did players become immune to riding the pine? That's really the only way you can get your point across with athletes, playing time. By the time he got benched, it's completely plausible that Torts had a dozen conversations with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But you're immediately assuming he was wrong to bench Laine.

Since when did players become immune to riding the pine? That's really the only way you can get your point across with athletes, playing time. By the time he got benched, it's completely plausible that Torts had a dozen conversations with him.
    Well anything is possible of course. But it was like his 3rd or 4th game on the team, he didn’t specifically ask to be there, and Torts is the older wiser guy. Some kid gloves probably would go a longer way for a 22 year old kid. I’m sure Laine was 100% wrong. Think he mouthed off. Douche move but still a kid though that just went through a tough time. Not about being immune. Its just about reading a moment. He had come off a 2 goal and 1 goal game after his 3rd game as a BJ. Might have actually started to come into his own. Then he had a lapse. Meh. Is that really the time to flex muscle?

3 goals in first 4 games as a BJ. Benched. 4 goals the next 25. Atta boy Tortsy!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Well anything is possible of course. But it was like his 3rd or 4th game on the team, he didnít specifically ask to be there, and Torts is the older wiser guy. Some kid gloves probably would go a longer way for a 22 year old kid. Iím sure Laine was 100% wrong. Think he mouthed off. Douche move but still a kid though that just went through a tough time. Not about being immune. Its just about reading a moment. He had come off a 2 goal and 1 goal game after his 3rd game as a BJ. Might have actually started to come into his own. Then he had a lapse. Meh. Is that really the time to flex muscle?

3 goals in first 4 games as a BJ. Benched. 4 goals the next 25. Atta boy Tortsy!
    He had 10 points in his first 10 games after coming over. I don't know why you're trying to make the benching some type of tipping point.

He's also 23 and has been in the league for 5 years and force the trade off a team pretty much for the same reason he's struggling right now. He didn't see eye to eye with his last team on effort level either.

I just think the Torts narrative is tired.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    When he was rumored to be on the outs from Winnipeg, I saw people being willing to send Kakko the other way. Anybody still feel that way?
    Hidden Content

?'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.? Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    When he was rumored to be on the outs from Winnipeg, I saw people being willing to send Kakko the other way. Anybody still feel that way?
    It's tough. although he's another RH shooter for the PP, he's also a shooter, so he wouldnt be on the PP.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Uh, Yes.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Laine is guaranteed production. I take scoring over the hope of it any day.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Laine is guaranteed production. I take scoring over the hope of it any day.
    Laine has 1 goal and 4 points in his last 18 games.

Kakko has 15 goals in nearly 100 NHL games (0.15 G/GP). Laine has 147 in 334 (0.44 G/GP). I'll take the latter, every time.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Laine has 1 goal and 4 points in his last 18 games.
    Are you suggesting the last 18 games nullifies or diminishes in any way the previous 316 games of his career?

The real answer is No, you dont acquire ANY young players for this team under its current make-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He had 10 points in his first 10 games after coming over. I don't know why you're trying to make the benching some type of tipping point.

He's also 23 and has been in the league for 5 years and force the trade off a team pretty much for the same reason he's struggling right now. He didn't see eye to eye with his last team on effort level either.

I just think the Torts narrative is tired.
    Well, thatís your opinion of course. I think part of it is true right now. Heís a two time Jack adams winner, cup winner, most wins in the history for American born coaches and has overachieved with the roster several times even in Columbus. Yet, heís not under contract next year and there is very little news about extending him.

Fine. Ignore the first benching. Then we can talk about the second benching, in a game where Laine had a goal and an assist. March 11th. That was the last time Laine scored a goal. 10 games without one now.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Are you suggesting the last 18 games nullifies or diminishes in any way the previous 316 games of his career?
    Kakko has 15 goals in nearly 100 NHL games (0.15 G/GP). Laine has 147 in 334 (0.44 G/GP). I'll take the latter, every time.
    Wasn't comparing him to Kakko. Just don't know that he's guaranteed production. He's more like Krieder. He'll score you goals but he'll also disappear for 10 game stretches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes, and ultimately give you more than Kakko, who to this point in his career looks more like late-career Rick Nash (defensively sound, offensively inept) than early-career Rick Nash, which is who we thought we were getting.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    The team that needs him is Buffalo.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Isles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123