• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Place Shayne Gostisbehere on Waivers

Phil

Rough year for former 60 point defensemen who can't play defense.

If ghost clears it shows to me that ADA was never going to be claimed then because of those cap reasons alone. The negative press around him just made it even worse but I still (just my opinion) think it was ultimately because there are only 4 teams or so that could have even fit him in the first place.

Why would any of these teams take him and add a contract when they could, presumably, just trade something to the Flyers to offset the costs (and contract)? I doubt he gets claimed.

Empirically, I'd guess the Flyers won't view it as a "my trash for your trash" conversation.

I'm having a very hard time understanding why teams like Detroit, LA, or Ottawa would pass on claiming him. He's been good enough this year - kind of "par for the offensive defenseman" look of a positive offensive contribution and a "within the range of normal, but below average" defensive contributions. Further, he's owed something like 8m over the remainder of this season and the next two, and has a cap hit 40% higher than his salary.

Screams Ottawa to me, IMO.

Empirically, I'd guess the Flyers won't view it as a "my trash for your trash" conversation.

I'm having a very hard time understanding why teams like Detroit, LA, or Ottawa would pass on claiming him. He's been good enough this year - kind of "par for the offensive defenseman" look of a positive offensive contribution and a "within the range of normal, but below average" defensive contributions. Further, he's owed something like 8m over the remainder of this season and the next two, and has a cap hit 40% higher than his salary.

Screams Ottawa to me, IMO.

Florida, actually, makes the most sense with Ekblad out for the season.