• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Phil

I'm looking forward to this. The final season of Clone Wars on Disney+ was fantastic aside from the second story arc.

Also curious what this means for Commando lore in Star Wars. One of the best Star Wars games of all time in Republic Commando is getting a remaster coming out next month. Would be awesome if we finally got the long-awaited sequel, Imperial Commando, assuming the remaster and Bad Batch perform well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I think it’s fine. I wish it were more of a connected story as opposed to one offs. I know that’s typical of Clone Wars, Rebels, The Mandalorian, etc. but I didn’t picture this as a show they’d try to drag out. It just feels like they’re trying to copy the Mandalorian formula with throwing in a child so a bunch of rough characters have to take on paternal roles. It feels weaker than some top Clone Wars episodes.

It seems like a father/child or even a mother/daughter figure relationship thing has been trending when it comes to storytelling in TV and even video games. Sweet Tooth on Netflix has been doing that a bit also.

Good awareness. This all stems from The Road, which is a fantastic novel. I like to call this genre "Roadlikes", and imo it would include The Last of Us, Children of Men, The Mandalorian etc.

It feels overdone. Particularly in a setting where it feels shoehorned in. I have no issue with Omega or how she's being used, I just feel like this is Disney and Lucasfilm misusing the time period it's set in. The time period that the show is set in is considerably darker than any we've seen in mainstream Star Wars media and they're just not using that setting as well as I'd have hoped for. The Empire in its early days is space Nazi Germany. It's a weird setting with too many real-world allegories to be the backdrop of a bunch of wacky hijinks.

I like that they're addressing the clone chip and clone replacement by non-clone volunteers, but that's all happening slowly in the background of events that I largely don't care about. I wish that was more of a focus along with other elements of the period. There are huge events that happen directly after the fall of the Republic that I wish played more of a role. Planets are being invaded for resources and slave populations (Mon Cala, Kashyyk, etc.), non-humans effectively become second-class citizens, the Inquisitorious is just formed to hunt remaining Jedi, etc. That's just what's current canon. It seems like they're building towards a Legends storyline of conflict between the Kaminoan cloners and the Empire which hopefully leads to a battle on Kamino.

The Bad Batch just felt like a weird group of characters and a wasted setting to use on a show emphasizing some of the lighter tones seen in Clone Wars. For a kids' show, we've seen better and more grounded content in other arcs like Mandalore, Umbara, etc.

• 2 months later...
It feels overdone. Particularly in a setting where it feels shoehorned in. I have no issue with Omega or how she's being used, I just feel like this is Disney and Lucasfilm misusing the time period it's set in. The time period that the show is set in is considerably darker than any we've seen in mainstream Star Wars media and they're just not using that setting as well as I'd have hoped for. The Empire in its early days is space Nazi Germany. It's a weird setting with too many real-world allegories to be the backdrop of a bunch of wacky hijinks.

I like that they're addressing the clone chip and clone replacement by non-clone volunteers, but that's all happening slowly in the background of events that I largely don't care about. I wish that was more of a focus along with other elements of the period. There are huge events that happen directly after the fall of the Republic that I wish played more of a role. Planets are being invaded for resources and slave populations (Mon Cala, Kashyyk, etc.), non-humans effectively become second-class citizens, the Inquisitorious is just formed to hunt remaining Jedi, etc. That's just what's current canon. It seems like they're building towards a Legends storyline of conflict between the Kaminoan cloners and the Empire which hopefully leads to a battle on Kamino.

The Bad Batch just felt like a weird group of characters and a wasted setting to use on a show emphasizing some of the lighter tones seen in Clone Wars. For a kids' show, we've seen better and more grounded content in other arcs like Mandalore, Umbara, etc.

Yeah, I completely lost interest in this. Read up on the last two episodes for the information, but I don't have an overwhelming desire to watch. I went back and played Republic Commando instead. I can't say this show ever picked up steam.

After having finally watched the last few episodes, I would have to agree. It was definitely overdone, and at 16 episodes, too drawn out. My interest in it waned after the first half of the season. I wouldn't say I forced myself to watch the rest of it, because it was still enjoyable. But, definitely an overhyped program that just took too long to get the point, that wasn't that rewarding anyway.

• Phil changed the title to Star Wars: The Bad Batch