• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Brendan Lemieux to LAK For 4th Round Pick

They'll be okay, but I could see them signing and established fourth line presence this off-season to shore things up. Not sure who's available but someone in the Martin or Clifford mold. Big, tough, but can legitimately play and keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They’re about to get run the fuck over today. It’s going to happen too often the rest of the season.

“Well it’s only Lemieux”

Yeah, but those Lemieuxs do some pretty crazy shit. You know when you’re playing Lemieux bc you keep your head up. That dude still needs to Claude a few people.

PDG, Rooney, Howden? It’s like a shift off

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day I don’t believe there is one team in the NHL who was thinking “oh shit, we better not take any liberties because we will have to deal with Brendan Lemieux”

I give the kid credit for always sticking his nose in there, but he was not a deterrent.

Rangers line-up lacks some serious toughness, though.

Great point. This is totally contrary to how JD built STL and CBJ.I thought JD believed in size, speed and toughness? The Rangers have some speed but that's it. Makes no sense to me. Trade toughness for nothing...

Is Lemieux really that tough of a player? Getting called for a lot of penalties doesn't make you tough. I felt like most of them were just braindead penalties and not from playing a hardnosed or tough game. He didn't have size or speed either. Truth be told, he never offered much. Sean Avery he was not.

I think what JD believes in is tough to play against. I don't think Lemieux was tough to play against.

Is Lemieux really that tough of a player? Getting called for a lot of penalties doesn't make you tough. I felt like most of them were just braindead penalties and not from playing a hardnosed or tough game. He didn't have size or speed either. Truth be told, he never offered much. Sean Avery he was not.

I think what JD believes in is tough to play against. I don't think Lemieux was tough to play against.

100%!

I don’t think we’ll notice a difference without him in the lineup. He really added nothing of substance.

And? Buch which does that too lol

I don’t necessarily want my highest skilled

guys being the “enforcers”. Again, this isn’t the end of the world but I feel like it’s par for the course with this team. The move won’t cost them the Cup. [emoji38]

I don’t necessarily want my highest skilled

guys being the “enforcers”. Again, this isn’t the end of the world but I feel like it’s par for the course with this team. The move won’t cost them the Cup. [emoji38]

Don’t get me wrong I think this team needs more toughness but this isn’t a loss I’m worried about.

He was atleast a guy who would stand up for other players despite his small size.

True, although I think that just irritated the opposition more than sending a message, and often got him into penalty trouble (although that was probably more due to his reputation), but regardless put the team on the backfoot.

I wouldn’t go as far as good roster management as I’d say indifferent roster management. He wasn’t really a problem and if it was to make roster space for Kravtsov so be it, but at least he somewhat had grit.

My problem isn’t so much getting rid of him as it is that we have no other toughness really. You really can’t just have 4 lines of the same style and we still have a zero identity 4th line. We just became more vanilla and I wasn’t 3vrn sure that was actually possible. I’m also not so huge on specifically having your toughest guys be defensemen in terms of the possibility of fighting. If they do fight, it puts a strain on the rest of the D a lot more than if it’s a fwd but that may be nitpicking.

Speaking of nitpicking. How sad is it that Lemieux had more points than Kakko? Jesus.

I hear that, but you also can't have "just" toughness - it's got to be a value add.

You can be tough and also be a shutdown forward. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a goalscorer. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a puck possession master. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a situationally aware playmaker. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also trusted to win key faceoffs. That's not Lemieux.

You can be Ryan Callahan, or Mike Fisher, or Brad Marchand, or Matthew Tkachuk, or even Sean Avery and still succeed in this league. You can't be just tough - it's got to be "tough, and" - and Lemieux is "just tough". Doubly so when he's a player getting paid over league minimum and would be a loss in the expansion draft.

I know it subtracts an element from our lineup, but this is probably the best possible outcome for us. Get a decent mid-round pick, clear some cap, clarify the expansion draft situation for a guy that's generously replacement level. That's a win.

I hear that, but you also can't have "just" toughness - it's got to be a value add.

You can be tough and also be a situationally aware playmaker. That's not Lemieux.

You can be Ryan Callahan, or Mike Fisher, or Brad Marchand, or Matthew Tkachuk, or even Sean Avery and still succeed in this league. You can't be just tough - it's got to be "tough, and" - and Lemieux is "just tough". Doubly so when he's a player getting paid over league minimum and would be a loss in the expansion draft.

I know it subtracts an element from our lineup, but this is probably the best possible outcome for us. Get a decent mid-round pick, clear some cap, clarify the expansion draft situation for a guy that's generously replacement level. That's a win.

All those guys had legit enforcers behind them.

And it's not so much of who or what Lemieux is, just take a look at the top 9 of this team. My AA Peewee team would run these guys over.

There's such that... disconnect? between those who have played, and realize how easy it is to run over better teams just because you are bigger or stronger. There's a different feeling you have when you go out on that ice knowing you have a bunch of big dudes that got your back vs going out knowing yeah, I got a bunch of guys on my team that might stick up for me but they'll just get their ass beat too.

Believe me, as a small guy, in a leadership role on a most of my teams - fuckin A. You think guys feels safer knowing Blackwell's got their back? This team doesnt even have that physical player to rally around.

But hey, Pierre DiGipetto is back. Sweet.

• Like 1

I thought Di Giuseppe had some sandpaper, but he really doesn't. He has like 16 PIMs since 2012.

He hustles.

He hustles so much, did you realize he's played in more games than Panarin this season? I didn't.

I thought Di Giuseppe had some sandpaper, but he really doesn't.

I'm of this sentiment too but to be gair, the guy is trying to make it as a productive hockey player and not the team's enforcer. He needs more game time for me to write him off just yet. Bigger body than Lemieux and more skill via the eye-test. Lemieux did his thing but that was not enough to stay. He's not a CUP difference maker IMO. Naw talk about Essa...if he was like that guy, sure, keep him.

Super. Room made for The Pyrite Brett, no room at the Inn for Kravtsov, and trade away the only forward with balls.

This guy has some views on roster construction that conflict with mine.

Still thinks he's coaching college.

All those guys had legit enforcers behind them.

And it's not so much of who or what Lemieux is, just take a look at the top 9 of this team. My AA Peewee team would run these guys over.

There's such that... disconnect? between those who have played, and realize how easy it is to run over better teams just because you are bigger or stronger. There's a different feeling you have when you go out on that ice knowing you have a bunch of big dudes that got your back vs going out knowing yeah, I got a bunch of guys on my team that might stick up for me but they'll just get their ass beat too.

Believe me, as a small guy, in a leadership role on a most of my teams - fuckin A. You think guys feels safer knowing Blackwell's got their back? This team doesnt even have that physical player to rally around.

But hey, Pierre DiGipetto is back. Sweet.

Meanwhile, Artemi Panarin is 5'11 and weighs 170 soaking wet, and he seems to be perfectly fine just gallivanting around the ice scoring points. Adam Fox is 5'10, maybe 180 after a plate of spaghetti and again, seems to have no fear on the ice. Mika Zibanejad had zero problem dumping Brendan Dillon like a cheap date and scoring a goal last time we faced the Caps. Ryan Lindgren is fucking tiny and seems to have no issue blasting someone.

If Lemieux's going to just go out there and be that second group (the "yeah, I got a bunch of guys who might stick up for me and get their ass beat" - which sounds like Lemieux to a T), why is this trade such a big deal?

I guess but calling a fourth a decent pick is well, possible. Fourth founders are a gamble. There’s no guarantee anyone in that round has a high chance of NHL success.

I do get the tough and x,y, or z but it fits also for everyone else we currently have on our 4th and part time third liners except none of them really even have toughness either.

As for the expansion notion that trading him was good because we likely would have lost him in expansion. I think that trading him instead is a negative. I’d love for him to have been claimed in the expansion. That means we don’t lose someone else. But I’d love for Howden to be taken too. I’d rather not lose Gauthier even though I wouldn’t mind him being traded since his flashes of talent give him some value for something tangible.

Like I said, I’m not losing sleep over this but we did make ourselves even more vanilla than we were. Feels like we are trying to be a college style team finding nhl success .

Meanwhile, Artemi Panarin is 5'11 and weighs 170 soaking wet, and he seems to be perfectly fine just gallivanting around the ice scoring points. Adam Fox is 5'10, maybe 180 after a plate of spaghetti and again, seems to have no fear on the ice. Mika Zibanejad had zero problem dumping Brendan Dillon like a cheap date and scoring a goal last time we faced the Caps. Ryan Lindgren is fucking tiny and seems to have no issue blasting someone.

If Lemieux's going to just go out there and be that second group (the "yeah, I got a bunch of guys who might stick up for me and get their ass beat" - which sounds like Lemieux to a T), why is this trade such a big deal?

Those players also had their asses handed to them and did nothing vs Carolina.

Like Marek says, there's guys who get you there and there's guys who get you through. We don't have anyone getting us through. I like Kevin Rooney as much as the last Paul Carey and Greg McKegg....But he ain't it.

Really wish they'd have gotten a Pat Maroon-type.

Those players also had their asses handed to them and did nothing vs Carolina.

Like Marek says, there's guys who get you there and there's guys who get you through. We don't have anyone getting us through. I like Kevin Rooney as much as the last Paul Carey and Greg McKegg....But he ain't it.

Really wish they'd have gotten a Pat Maroon-type.

I get that - and that's totally fair. We're not really at the stage where we need the "guy that gets you through" though, are we? I feel like that's the move we make this off-season or at the 2022 deadline to get us over the hump, barring having been able to pull a Ryan Reaves or a Pat Maroon in.