Thread: BUF Trades Eric Staal to MTL for 3rd, 5th-Round Picks

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

BUF Trades Eric Staal to MTL for 3rd, 5th-Round Picks

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Price can't stop shit. Trade for a center. Makes sense.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Trade happened for a 3rd and 5th round picks

Senior Member Midget Division
    The unloading begins.

The Buffalo Sabres have traded veteran centre Eric Staal to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2021 third-round draft pick and a 2021 fifth-round draft pick.

The Sabres have also retained 50% of Staal’s contract.

Staal, 36, registered three goals and seven assists for 10 points in 32 games with the Sabres this season.
    https://www.thefourthperiod.com/mar-...l-to-canadiens

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They already got $14M or so tied up in goaltending. That's an unfixable situation. So why not put a band-aid on other shit? It at least makes some sense.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    They already got $14M or so tied up in goaltending. That's an unfixable situation. So why not put a band-aid on other shit? It at least makes some sense.
    I guess? They're not a bad offensive team though. Surface level stats are 10th in goals and PP, 3rd in shot per game. I don't watch them so I don't know what their problem is aside from Price and that they don't know how to play in overtime.

Good business for the Sabres, though. They need all the futures they can get their hands on right now.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

It's just solid center depth. Down the middle they've got Danault, Suzuki, and now Staal. That's pretty damn good no matter how you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Unfixable in-season, for sure. You basically have to make a massive call on whether or not Price is your guy anymore. If he isn't, who is and how are you managing to move Price? His reputation probably allows for it in spite of his contract (unlike Bob), but there's no way that doesn't cost Bergevin his job.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Unfixable in-season, for sure. You basically have to make a massive call on whether or not Price is your guy anymore. If he isn't, who is and how are you managing to move Price? His reputation probably allows for it in spite of his contract (unlike Bob), but there's no way that doesn't cost Bergevin his job.
    Yeah that's what I meant. Off-season is the place to evaluate that. But, for now, you gotta roll with Price and Allen.

The only way I see anyone even wanting Price is for another major problem and even then I still don’t think it happens since I don’t see Price agreeing to go anywhere.

Who wants an 11m goalie? Maybe Buffalo for Skinner but I’d think even then you’d need to throw in more to entice Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    The only way I see anyone even wanting Price is for another major problem and even then I still dont think it happens since I dont see Price agreeing to go anywhere.

Who wants an 11m goalie? Maybe Buffalo for Skinner but Id think even then youd need to throw in more to entice Buffalo.
    Buffalo actually makes a ton of sense in a big deal with multiple players.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Right. But does it make sense for Price to agree to it.buffalo is a tough sell I’d say.

HNIC BSBH Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Right. But does it make sense for Price to agree to it.buffalo is a tough sell Id say.
    What else would Montreal have to include to get Buffalo to take that contract?

What else would Montreal have to include to get Buffalo to take that contract?
    I’d think you are looking at Montreal having to do Price + 1st for Skinner + 2nd. If I’m buffalo I ask for their first in two years in the better draft that’ll be a bit more known and deeper. Buffalo spins it that they are adding a proven goalie in a position that has been a void while also getting a future. For Montreal they spin it that you’re getting an under 30 yr old you can try and get a reclamation out of and at worst is easier to absorb a lesser cap fwd bad contract than goalie one. Plus a low second is like a high first anyway. Allen has been fine for them anyway.

But who knows. Still would have to sell it to Price
    Last edited by Keirik; 03-26-2021 at 09:24 PM.