• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BUF Trades Eric Staal to MTL for 3rd, 5th-Round Picks

Phil

The Buffalo Sabres have traded veteran centre Eric Staal to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2021 third-round draft pick and a 2021 fifth-round draft pick.

The Sabres have also retained 50% of Staal’s contract.

Staal, 36, registered three goals and seven assists for 10 points in 32 games with the Sabres this season.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/mar-2021/sabres-trade-centre-staal-to-canadiens

They already got $14M or so tied up in goaltending. That's an unfixable situation. So why not put a band-aid on other shit? It at least makes some sense.

I guess? They're not a bad offensive team though. Surface level stats are 10th in goals and PP, 3rd in shot per game. I don't watch them so I don't know what their problem is aside from Price and that they don't know how to play in overtime.

They already got $14M or so tied up in goaltending. That's an unfixable situation. So why not put a band-aid on other shit? It at least makes some sense.

Unfixable in-season, for sure. You basically have to make a massive call on whether or not Price is your guy anymore. If he isn't, who is and how are you managing to move Price? His reputation probably allows for it in spite of his contract (unlike Bob), but there's no way that doesn't cost Bergevin his job.

Unfixable in-season, for sure. You basically have to make a massive call on whether or not Price is your guy anymore. If he isn't, who is and how are you managing to move Price? His reputation probably allows for it in spite of his contract (unlike Bob), but there's no way that doesn't cost Bergevin his job.
Yeah that's what I meant. Off-season is the place to evaluate that. But, for now, you gotta roll with Price and Allen.

The only way I see anyone even wanting Price is for another major problem and even then I still don’t think it happens since I don’t see Price agreeing to go anywhere.

Who wants an 11m goalie? Maybe Buffalo for Skinner but I’d think even then you’d need to throw in more to entice Buffalo.

The only way I see anyone even wanting Price is for another major problem and even then I still don’t think it happens since I don’t see Price agreeing to go anywhere.

Who wants an 11m goalie? Maybe Buffalo for Skinner but I’d think even then you’d need to throw in more to entice Buffalo.

Buffalo actually makes a ton of sense in a big deal with multiple players.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What else would Montreal have to include to get Buffalo to take that contract?

I’d think you are looking at Montreal having to do Price + 1st for Skinner + 2nd. If I’m buffalo I ask for their first in two years in the better draft that’ll be a bit more known and deeper. Buffalo spins it that they are adding a proven goalie in a position that has been a void while also getting a future. For Montreal they spin it that you’re getting an under 30 yr old you can try and get a reclamation out of and at worst is easier to absorb a lesser cap fwd bad contract than goalie one. Plus a low second is like a high first anyway. Allen has been fine for them anyway.

But who knows. Still would have to sell it to Price