• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox: Norris Candidate? Adam Fox: Norris Candidate!

Phil

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://theathletic.com/2545581/2021/04/27/nhl-awards-watch-kirill-kaprizov-leads-the-calder-trophy-race-but-does-jason-robertson-have-a-case/

The most interesting thing about the list above is which player is not on it — the one many deem to be the front-runner.

*mentally prepares self for impending backlash*

I think Victor Hedman has played himself off the Norris ballot over the last month. There are simply far too many strong choices this season to give someone a reputation vote based on point totals and a strong start.

___

As for those who are worthy, it does feel like Fox should be running away with this. He now leads all defenders in points thanks to an insane 41 assists, but it’s his five-on-five play that makes him the most worthy. Despite facing some of the toughest competition in the league, Fox leads an otherwise unremarkable Rangers team with a 57 percent expected goals rate and 62 percent actual goals rate. Relative to teammates, he’s adding around half-a-goal per 60 in both categories, something no other defenseman can say.

It’s difficult to win a Norris trophy in your first nomination as defenders usually have to wait their turn. Fox really shouldn’t. If he keeps this pace up, him losing due to a lack of reputation would be a travesty. He’s doing it all this year at both ends of the ice.

Let's fucking go. Adam Brian Leetch James Norris Fox

• Like 1

And I don't want to hear the "but no playoffs" bullshit.

I'll entertain the argument for the Hart (I still don't agree with it though), but it's irrelevant for the Norris. You can be the best defenseman in the league and still not have your team make the playoffs.

I'll entertain the argument for the Hart (I still don't agree with it though), but it's irrelevant for the Norris. You can be the best defenseman in the league and still not have your team make the playoffs.

Agreed. I'd look at the team's general defensive numbers too. The Rangers are 9th in GA/game. Last year they were 23rd. Granted there were other changes, Staal out, DeAngelo out (great offense but always below average defensively), but the single greatest difference is Fox going from 19 minutes to 25 minutes a game. Hes just that good, and he's on the ice for close to half the game these days.

Yeah its just dumb. So half the league‘s defenders will not be included? How is that the best in the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

yeah..this playoff BS is BS. Norris trophy, among all other are given for the regular season performance. PLayoffs have their own awards. They award Rocket Richard trophy to leading goal scorer in the league during the regular season, regardless if his team made playoffs or not.

Seems like Leetch must own every rangers defenseman record.

Was Leetch that good or was every rangers defenseman just so bad? I’m inclined to believe the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Leetch is 8th all time for points by a defenseman. Only reason he didn't win a bunch more Norris trophies is he played at the same time a Lidstrom.

Only reason he did not win more Norris Trophies is that his play declined to some degree after 1997. I don't know if I want Fox to get the Norris. It will cost us about $2m in cap space and focus a lot of attention on him.

Only reason he did not win more Norris Trophies is that his play declined to some degree after 1997. I don't know if I want Fox to get the Norris. It will cost us about $2m in cap space and focus a lot of attention on him.

The maximum bonus for winning an award is $250k. Fox's maximum bonuses are $850k which probably just reflects the maximum class A and not class B bonuses which awards fall into. He'll probably max out his bonuses this season, but in no world will they cost $2M.

The maximum bonus for winning an award is $250k. Fox's maximum bonuses are $850k which probably just reflects the maximum class A and not class B bonuses which awards fall into. He'll probably max out his bonuses this season, but in no world will they cost $2M.

I think he meant on his next contract.

Probably won't be 2 mill extra, but the "he's the best defender in the league" card his agent will play is gonna up the cost.

I think winning the Norris could be the difference between 9 and 11 on the next contract. If he is on the 1st All Star team I guess it might be close to 11 anyway. At this point, I think he's close to an assured spot on the 2d team at least.

Seems like Leetch must own every rangers defenseman record.

Was Leetch that good or was every rangers defenseman just so bad? I’m inclined to believe the latter.

He was THAT good, Nashty! Back when Leetch was a rookie, the only guys they were able to compare him to were Park, Greschner...and maybe Dave Maloney. Leetch was what I call, an "All timer". The guy was magic....plain and simple.

The cool thing about Leetch's tenure is that during that time we were able to bring in this Zubov fella ;) ....Holy shit!!....you wanna see a power play with Leetch and Zubov at the points, and then Graves, Messier, and Kovalev up front?? It was like a dream team!

He was THAT good, Nashty! Back when Leetch was a rookie, the only guys they were able to compare him to were Park, Greschner...and maybe Dave Maloney. Leetch was what I call, an "All timer". The guy was magic....plain and simple.

The cool thing about Leetch's tenure is that during that time we were able to bring in this Zubov fella ;) ....Holy shit!!....you wanna see a power play with Leetch and Zubov at the points, and then Graves, Messier, and Kovalev up front?? It was like a dream team!

He was awesome the best Ranger player ever in my opinion with Hank a close second. FUCK Zubov was so slick what a mess getting rid of him Ozzy.

I only started watching in roughly 96/97 so I never got to see him dominate. He was good when I watched him but its crazy to me that he seems to have every record and most by a mile too.

Time for some of them to be broken.