• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox: Norris Candidate? Adam Fox: Norris Candidate!

Phil

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that coast to coast goal he had earlier against the Devils and I'm thinking to myself, I think the last time I saw that happen was Brian Leetch in the early 90's. lol

I said the same thing, Sharpy!!! :rofl:

I think we may finally have our Brian Leetch type of defenseman we've been pining for since he was traded. We thought we might have had it with Del Zotto and DeAngelo, but I think we really have it now. I purposely did not even bother mentioning Tom Poti.

LOL !!!!!!

He is easily the best defenseman this team has had since Leetch was good. Guy is worth everything they gave up for him and more.

He has those Leetch type qualities where the game comes to him so naturally.

great read, now please delete everything off the internet about this guy so we can keep him when our window is open...shit guys do we want a cup here or what

We'll buy out Panarin if thats what it takes to keep Fox. His agent's not an idiot, he will get paid for his play, not the recognition he's getting.

Fox is elite, a top 5 (or atleast top 10) D-man in the league. Its time for people to realise that. He'll get paid either way, and im happy to pay him whatever he wants.

I remember that coast to coast goal he had earlier against the Devils and I'm thinking to myself, I think the last time I saw that happen was Brian Leetch in the early 90's. lol

Actually, the last time you saw that was with Neal Pionk a few years ago.

Truth be told, Leetch declined from an ultra elite player after 1997. He pepped up and had a great run for half a season or so back about 2001 when his contract was due. Leetch in his prime, about 1990 to 1997, was incomparable.

I agree that it may be just as well that Fox get the official accolades before he comes off the entry level contract. He's going to rate a monster as it is. I first thought we had another Don Sweeney, who was smallish and not that physical but immaculately smart and effective, but now I think we have something even more.

Hold that "C"? I'm not sure if he's the right personality yet.

Actually, the last time you saw that was with Neal Pionk a few years ago.

Truth be told, Leetch declined from an ultra elite player after 1997. He pepped up and had a great run for half a season or so back about 2001 when his contract was due. Leetch in his prime, about 1990 to 1997, was incomparable.

I agree that it may be just as well that Fox get the official accolades before he comes off the entry level contract. He's going to rate a monster as it is. I first thought we had another Don Sweeney, who was smallish and not that physical but immaculately smart and effective, but now I think we have something even more.

Hold that "C"? I'm not sure if he's the right personality yet.

Yeah, true about Pionk. I was bummed when they traded him and I'm even more bummed seeing how well he was doing. Even though he did do stuff like that, Fox is just another level. Leetch did drop off during that crap run of hockey which made it even more depressing. Plus, you've seen someone like Brad Park play who was obviously great, just kind of overshadowed a bit because he played during the same time period that Bobby Orr did. Hopefully Fox can become that elite Park/Leetch dynamic offensively with the fantastic defensive play. So far it's looking pretty good.

People have a short memory about how good McDonough was during his peak here. I don’t think it’s fair to say fox is a top 5 defenseman either. He’s dam good and may eventually be recognized as that but doing it year in year out is what qualifies a player as such. Fox to no fault of his own just hasn’t been in the league long enough.

People have a short memory about how good McDonough was during his peak here. I don’t think it’s fair to say fox is a top 5 defenseman either. He’s dam good and may eventually be recognized as that but doing it year in year out is what qualifies a player as such. Fox to no fault of his own just hasn’t been in the league long enough.

Cant fault him for that. Since he's been in the league he's been top 5 (or atleast top 10). People said last season was because of "sheltered minutes", but he's taken his game to another level this year playing even tougher minutes.

Im not saying he should win the Norris this year or is the greatest defender of the last decade, but he's been one of the best allround D's since entering the league. The stats back it up and the "eye-test" is even better.

There's not a single defender in the league I would swap 1-for-1 with Fox. If Hedman was 24 I guess I would take him, but age and everything considered, im taking Fox over anyone.

In the 15 years that I've been watching the Rangers, he's easily the best defenseman I've seen. Ryan McDonagh was an excellent defender and absolute workhorse, I always felt confident when he was on the ice because I knew he'd make the right play. Fox is a different beast, though. He has none of McDonagh's physical gifts yet it doesn't impede him at all. Where McDonagh could be trusted to make the right play, I feel like Fox is thinking three plays ahead. I don't know if there are 10 smarter players in the NHL than him, it's that obvious to me that Fox thinks the game at a high level. He's playing chess while most are out there playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. Fox blends safety and creativity to make the right plays consistently. I rarely feel that he's forcing a skilled play the way someone of his skillset might. Instead, he looks for the option that really is the best even if it means making a simple play to then lead to something bigger. Defensive pressure never seems to phase him and he's incredibly good at using his partner for support. I even feel pretty confident on 2-on-1s against because he's that good at anticipating the play and breaking it up. Fox is a gift. I can't imagine watching Rangers hockey over the last two seasons without him. It'd probably be much worse. His impact on the team is immeasurable. He's going to win the Norris trophy at some point. I have no doubt in my mind about that.
  • Like 1

Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto both in preseason back during their rookie year. They completely sucked afterward but I remember being in awe of the coast-to-coast rushes that I believe they scored in the same game.

Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto both in preseason back during their rookie year. They completely sucked afterward but I remember being in awe of the coast-to-coast rushes that I believe they scored in the same game.

I think I was more hyped for Del Zotto than Gilroy even though he looked good too. At the very least I though they'd be quite good. It's too bad. But, I think the Rangers are finally set on defense with everyone they have, and Lundqvist coming, so I'm excited about it.

Yeah. McDonagh was amazing for us - do not get me wrong here - but Fox feels like a different beast. McDonagh was always billed as a big, two-way D with a good shot and isn't afraid to get physical. And that's what he was - and he was great at it.

Fox isn't special in any "traditional" way. He's not fast. His shot isn't breaking glass or making defenders think twice. He's not at all physically intimidating. His stickwork isn't exceptional. I've literally never seen a player who thinks the game as quickly and as well as Fox does, though. He's playing grandmaster chess and everyone else is like "what's a horsie"? And it's special to watch.

Ahh yes didnt Gilroy have that fantastic end to end rush which helped him make the team and then he did absolutely nothing else as a ranger :rofl:

In the 15 years that I've been watching the Rangers, he's easily the best defenseman I've seen. Ryan McDonagh was an excellent defender and absolute workhorse, I always felt confident when he was on the ice because I knew he'd make the right play. Fox is a different beast, though. He has none of McDonagh's physical gifts yet it doesn't impede him at all. Where McDonagh could be trusted to make the right play, I feel like Fox is thinking three plays ahead. I don't know if there are 10 smarter players in the NHL than him, it's that obvious to me that Fox thinks the game at a high level. He's playing chess while most are out there playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. Fox blends safety and creativity to make the right plays consistently. I rarely feel that he's forcing a skilled play the way someone of his skillset might. Instead, he looks for the option that really is the best even if it means making a simple play to then lead to something bigger. Defensive pressure never seems to phase him and he's incredibly good at using his partner for support. I even feel pretty confident on 2-on-1s against because he's that good at anticipating the play and breaking it up. Fox is a gift. I can't imagine watching Rangers hockey over the last two seasons without him. It'd probably be much worse. His impact on the team is immeasurable. He's going to win the Norris trophy at some point. I have no doubt in my mind about that.

Yeah. McDonagh was amazing for us - do not get me wrong here - but Fox feels like a different beast. McDonagh was always billed as a big, two-way D with a good shot and isn't afraid to get physical. And that's what he was - and he was great at it.

Fox isn't special in any "traditional" way. He's not fast. His shot isn't breaking glass or making defenders think twice. He's not at all physically intimidating. His stickwork isn't exceptional. I've literally never seen a player who thinks the game as quickly and as well as Fox does, though. He's playing grandmaster chess and everyone else is like "what's a horsie"? And it's special to watch.

The word that comes to mind when I watch Fox is POISE.... He never seems to panic with the puck and makes very good decisions when trying to either clear the puck or make a smart play. I watch his every move out there and he's doing a fabulous job growing into that QB role.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Fox grow with this team.

• Like 1

Was thinking the same thing as I've watched the last several games Sharp. His feel for the game and knowing when to take a risk is frighteningly similar. The first time since Leetch in his prime i find myself tracking a defenseman constantly in a game.

Was thinking the same thing as I've watched the last several games Sharp. His feel for the game and knowing when to take a risk is frighteningly similar. The first time since Leetch in his prime i find myself tracking a defenseman constantly in a game.

First off, welcome aboard my friend!!! :cheers:

I'm ancient enough to say I saw Leetch as a rookie and watched him very closely as he developed. Leetch was a phenomenal skater and could "think the game" as well as the Coffey's, Bourque's, Housley's and Chelios' of that era. I think when the Rangers acquired Messier, Leetch absolutely took off! That's when he hit elite status in my eyes.

The broken ankle hindered him for a while but I think it hampered him more as he got older.

Fox has a similar start to his career, and he looks very promising. Actually I feel as though Fox has caught on faster than Leetch did, way back when. There's no doubt we've caught lightning in a bottle with Fox. He's a pleasure to watch game in and game out!!

The word that comes to mind when I watch Fox is POISE.... He never seems to panic with the puck and makes very good decisions when trying to either clear the puck or make a smart play. I watch his every move out there and he's doing a fabulous job growing into that QB role.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Fox grow with this team.

Not going to take credit for this, since I think it was AmericanJesus who kicked this over to me, but this Substack article from a Leafs Analyst is just a phenomenal read on understanding both how Adam Fox slipped through the cracks and why he's so frigging good.

Not going to take credit for this, since I think it was AmericanJesus who kicked this over to me, but this Substack article from a Leafs Analyst is just a phenomenal read on understanding both how Adam Fox slipped through the cracks and why he's so frigging good.

He used the word "Poise" in there as well, G Man! See???? I'm as think as you drunk I am!!! :rofl:

That's actually the "feel" I get from watching him as well.