• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Fires Referee Tim Peel Following Hot-Mic Comment About Penalty Call on Predators

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-caught-on-live-mic-wanting-to-assign-make-up-penalty-vs-predators-024632571.html

In Tuesday night’s game between the Nashville Predators and Detroit Red Wings, as the broadcast was heading to commercial, one referee was caught on a live microphone explaining how he wanted to penalize the Predators to, presumably, create a more even match.

"It wasn't much but I wanted to get a f—in' penalty against Nashville early in the...” and then the poor producer cut it off just as it was getting good.

Update: After the game, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported that the NHL would be looking into the incident. Stay tuned!

It's perfectly reasonable to go with something like "warning, warning, penalty" if it was a thing going on (i.e. "I wanted to get Nashville a fucking penalty early in the period if they didn't stop the the borderline holding")

This was a borderline dive-trip. I find it hard to give the benefit of the doubt here.

Yeah, what Karan said. This is has been commonplace for years. I'm glad it's come to light. I really don't like how the referees feel they need to make things more 'fair' by trying to make the powerplay opportunities as equal as they can. If one team is being more disciplined than the other, then so be it. Don't screw with the games to try and even things out.

It'd be different if it were Wes McCauley, but thank god we're done with Tim fucking Peele, lol.

Nah, too much sports betting and shit these days. You can’t be caught on mic saying you’re... fixing games.

Feel bad for the guy because game management 101 involves this stuff. It happens every game in every sport. It's part of sports. IMO it's often good refereeing to do this to keep the game under control. There's a lot of grey area that people who have never refereed a game don't really understand when it comes to managing the tempers of adult men playing competitive sports. You don't want anyone to get hurt and mismanaging a game is a good way to get people hurt. I've done it before, and I regret it.

The nhl of course had no choice here, especially with the prevalence of betting, than to take this action because whether or not this is part of the game it is dangerous for it to be a public facet when people are staking money.

Even up Andy was a thing. And its pretty common. Doesnt make it okay but how many times a year have you seen any team get a BS powerplay and then say "Refs are going to look to even this up so dont do anything remotely stupid" in your head ?

Watch how the game changes with calls now

Yeah, I think it's gonna get real stupid in response. For the next few weeks, I think we're either gonna see refs call absolutely nothing, like it's a playoff game, or call every single infraction under the sun and we'll wind up with 8 penalties per team. And they'll be like, "Is this what you wanted?!"

Yeah, I think it's gonna get real stupid in response. For the next few weeks, I think we're either gonna see refs call absolutely nothing, like it's a playoff game, or call every single infraction under the sun and we'll wind up with 8 penalties per team. And they'll be like, "Is this what you wanted?!"

I mean... then they can just be fired and easily replaced. This isn't the time for friggin' referees to take a stand. Nobody cares about them.

And they'd be correct.

I know some actual NHL players who believe, %100, that the playoffs are "managed" to maximize revenue. As in, the refs are instructed to manage the playoff series as best they can, without being overt, to maximize games.

And they'd be correct.

I know some actual NHL players who believe, %100, that the playoffs are "managed" to maximize revenue. As in, the refs are instructed to manage the playoff series as best they can, without being overt, to maximize games.

You know multiple NHL players personally? And they all believe in the same conspiracy? Hmm.