Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bettman Says Salary Cap Will Likely Remain Flat for Next Four Years

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Not sure I follow.

I was thinking more along the line of; Player x wants 11mil a season to play. You give him that and tag him as your franchise player. His cap hit is 1/2 of his cost- 5.5 mil.
    That's entirely appropriate. What I mean is the tag itself can't be a means to reduce salary compensation for players, just reduce the cap charge of it that hits the teams' salary cap (not payroll).
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    The PA wont agree to not paying the players anything.

But even a team like the Sabres can benefit from buying out shorter contracts like Okposo, than they'd benefit from signing another free agent, or having Eichel's cap not count against them. A compliance buy out is something that can benefit every and any franchise, where a franchise tag doesnt. This isnt the NFL where every team is raking.
    Why not both?

The reality of the NHL right now is that you have a number of small-market teams that need liquid cash, a significant number of teams hugging the cap, a deficit of a billion dollars between players and owners, and some teams that have serious money they're willing to spend.

Why can't we have a luxury tax and a compliance buyout? Or a franchise tag? Or the ability to rework contracts in mutual negotiation?

Part of the beauty of the NFL or the Premier League or even the NBA is the level of flexibility franchises have - and players have - to seek better arrangements. It's crippling to small market, non-traditional market, or teams that have to deal with currency fluctuation to be stuck with deals like Okposo, Skinner, Bob, Lucic, Eriksson, Neal, Subban, Johansen, etc.

I pity Florida. They've figured it out, and they're stuck with fucking Bobrovsky, will lose Dreidger in the Krakendraft, and probably don't have the cash to keep the players they really need to. Should we not give them a means of having a real shot at finally establishing a presence and get them off that Bob deal in some way?

At the same time - fuck, you think Johansen wants to stay in Nashville for a rebuild? Think Skinner wants to spend the next 7 years playing fourth line hockey? Yeah, there's a money consideration, but many of these solutions provide some sort of guarantor to help the franchise and the player.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's entirely appropriate. What I mean is the tag itself can't be a means to reduce salary compensation for players, just reduce the cap charge of it that hits the teams' salary cap (not payroll).
    Yea we're on the same page there.

If anything I think it helps other guys on the team get paid more too so win-win there I guess.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flat cap for four years underscores the limited market for Eichel and is $10 per contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Flat cap for four years underscores the limited market for Eichel and is $10 per contract.
    Yeah, that's a factor for sure. I'm sure the Sabres would want to open this up to the biggest tent of bidders possible, but how much bigger can it get, really? We already have teams operating with internal caps on spending who also have to adhere to the external cap the league imposes. I'm not sure this is going to become the bidding war they think it is.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    flat cap makes Trouba signing infinitely worse

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I don’t know. I think we will still see players signing smaller dollar value contracts in these flat cap times. Just very few teams can spend right now. There are probably like 4 or so players in this league where a team wouldn’t blink before giving a blank check and 2 of them are on Edmonton for a while.

Players, agents, gms, everyone pretty much knows contracts signed pre covid times really aren’t that comparable right now to ones coming up in the midst of this.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I suspect that there will be a bit of a disconnect between agents and teams with respect to market rates. It will take a couple of significant players to go UFA and not get what they would have a couple of years ago to get players and management on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I suspect that there will be a bit of a disconnect between agents and teams with respect to market rates. It will take a couple of significant players to go UFA and not get what they would have a couple of years ago to get players and management on the same page.
    I mean, that already happened last off season. Nothing that's happened since should give any party involved hope that the outlook has changed when the league itself is talking about four straight years of at least a flat cap, if not potentially a cap rollback.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Xander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Not until we're struggling for money. And we aren't struggling to fit under the cap yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Not until we're struggling for money. And we aren't struggling to fit under the cap yet.
    We are struggling to play defense though and hes a big part of that

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division Xander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    We are struggling to play defense though and he’s a big part of that

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Actually, our problem is offense. We're a top-10 defense in this league in terms of goals against, but we're 8 goals behind the 'goals for' league average. I think our defensive "struggles" get exacerbated because we're so bad at scoring.

Our high-danger scoring chances against for the year are 56, with a league average of 83. Our high-danger goals against are 8, while the league average is 12. We're within half a percent of the league's average high-danger conversion rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Actually, our problem is offense. We're a top-10 defense in this league in terms of goals against, but we're 8 goals behind the 'goals for' league average. I think our defensive "struggles" get exacerbated because we're so bad at scoring.

Our high-danger scoring chances against for the year are 56, with a league average of 83. Our high-danger goals against are 8, while the league average is 12. We're within half a percent of the league's average high-danger conversion rate.
    Fair enough- he's not good at the offense either

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12