• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eric Staal Back to Carolina?

Phil

OK, so this one has a Hallmark movie feel to it. But it just so happens, as I discussed on TSN’s Insider Trading on Thursday, that the Hurricanes have brought up Staal’s name internally and discussed the possibility of bringing him back. I wouldn’t describe it as a top-of-the-agenda item for the contending Canes, who honestly don’t need a thing in my mind. Their lineup is loaded. But I know the Carolina brass recently discussed the merits of picking up the phone closer to the April 12 deadline if Staal was still on the Buffalo roster and seeing what it would take in a softer deal to get the pending UFA. You can imagine Jordan Staal would love the idea. And I mean, who wouldn’t?

You might argue the aging Eric Staal has lost a bit of a step and maybe doesn’t quite gel with the Canes’ up-tempo game. But I would also say there are going to be games in the playoffs where the rulebook gets thrown out on some nights and it’s a grudge match out there. Staal remains a strong, physical presence who can play both centre and wing. I love the idea of him back in Carolina.

https://theathletic.com/2443636/2021/03/12/lebrun-trade-fits-these-6-contenders-should-explore-ahead-of-nhl-deadline/?source=twitterhq