• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn is "Sweating profusely," in ESPN+ Head Coaching Hot Seat Heat Index

Phil

The Rangers should be better than a middling .475 points percentage, and perhaps at the end of the season they will be better. If not, then Quinn is squarely on the hot seat. He has two more years left on his contract after this one, a contract that was signed in May 2018, just over three months after "the letter" the team sent its fans to signal a rebuild. That rebuild has been expedited through acquisitions of players such as Artemi Panarin and Jacob Trouba. Meanwhile, some of the young players Quinn was tasked with developing -- Adam Fox excepted -- aren't playing with the necessary consistency, as a slew of Rangers fans have noted.

Influential New York Post columnist Larry Brooks doesn't buy the player development argument, but he called out Quinn last month for the team's lack of effort and, more important, his lack of answers. This is a classic "fire the rebuild coach for the proven NHL coach who takes the team to the next level" situation.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/31004704/nhl-head-coach-hot-seat-heat-index-rankings-candidates-get-fired-next

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still would like to give Quinn the benefit of finishing the season. If that be the case and the team isn't looking like they've progressed to the level they "should be at", then fine...replace Quinn.

The question is, with whom??

Torts??? I mean, I wouldn't mind Torts....I actually loved when he was here, and he is probably one of the better coaches that may very well be available after this season is over. I'm not too crazy over Babcock and Boudreau.....but who else may be out there?

Does he not get a life line with the injury to Igor ? I'm not sure what you accomplish by firing him now as he had to deal with ADA and Parnarin, his top center playing like shite and now the loss of his starting goalie.

Plus COVID.

There’s a million excuses unfortunately. I could see them waiting until next season begins before they pull the chute.

Zibanejad COVID, Panarin situation, Shesterkin injury, Kaako COVID protocol, other injuries = job security until next year.

You might be correct in that other people's misfortune buys him time. While the bandwagon is certainly adding rows for riders jumping on the 'fire Quinn' ride, it would be kinda' tough for JD to fire him THIS season for the reasons Sharpshooter stated.

With the situations with ADA, Zib, Panarin and now Sheshty, we don't need a coaching change mid-season to create more havoc. It's not as if a mid-season coaching change might get us in the playoffs when we otherwise would not make it. I'm satisfied with having a hard look at coaching after the season. I don't know whether to give credit for the improved defensive play to Quinn of Martin.
  • Like 1

I still would like to give Quinn the benefit of finishing the season. If that be the case and the team isn't looking like they've progressed to the level they "should be at", then fine...replace Quinn.

The question is, with whom??

Torts??? I mean, I wouldn't mind Torts....I actually loved when he was here, and he is probably one of the better coaches that may very well be available after this season is over. I'm not too crazy over Babcock and Boudreau.....but who else may be out there?

This isn't a Torts type roster. I wouldn't want to see what he'd do to piss off our young players. Hard pass.

Other teams are making changes with the same excuses. Montreal and Calgary have dropped their coaches. Unless Quinn continues this current run, I don't think he finishes the season.
Other teams aren't at this stage of a rebuild with a virtual daycare center full of developing kids. He's Gorton's hire. He's got miles and miles of rope left.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Other teams aren't at this stage of a rebuild with a virtual daycare center full of developing kids. He's Gorton's hire. He's got miles and miles of rope left.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Meh. Montreal is pretty similar.

https://novacapsfans.com/2021/01/01/capitals-enter-2020-21-season-with-nhls-oldest-roster/

Rangers average age- 25

Flames average age- 27.1

Canadians average age - 27.5

Columbus is likely firing Torts. Their average age is 26.2

Buffalo? Definitely another coach coming. 26.7

Let's not act like this isnt possible it like the Rangers are in unheard of territory.

I am shocked how they are the youngest team in the league.

Meh. Montreal is pretty similar.

https://novacapsfans.com/2021/01/01/capitals-enter-2020-21-season-with-nhls-oldest-roster/

Rangers average age- 25

Flames average age- 27.1

Canadians average age - 27.5

Columbus is likely firing Torts. Their average age is 26.2

Buffalo? Definitely another coach coming. 26.7

Let's not act like this isnt possible it like the Rangers are in unheard of territory.

I am shocked how they are the youngest team in the league.

I just don't think you're reading the body language of Gorton and JD.

even for the coaches Rangers give excessive contracts. why not give Quinn a 3 year contract? why does it have to be 5 for a rookie coach? did they really expect him to last at least 5 years?

Because money is no object when it comes to coaches. He wanted security - which is good thinking on his part. Rangers have no problem paying two coaches at once, they've done it many many times. 5 years or 10 years, doesn't matter to the Rangers, he'll get canned if they don't like the job he's doing.

Because money is no object when it comes to coaches. He wanted security - which is good thinking on his part. Rangers have no problem paying two coaches at once, they've done it many many times. 5 years or 10 years, doesn't matter to the Rangers, he'll get canned if they don't like the job he's doing.

That’s just bad business. Why waste money? Sign him for 3 years and if u like him—give him an extension

They were having a hard time uprooting him from BU. He very likely needed a time guarantee to make it worthwhile. He was the guy that Gorton wanted. JG gave him the guarantee knowing he could can him if it didn't work out. No salary cap for coaches. Plenty of cash. No mysteries here.