Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: H.R. 1, the "For the People" Act, passes House, to be Debated by Senate

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Most every state has an ID requirement to register. Some 30-ish states have a "present ID for in-person/for same day registration" requirement. These are largely perfunctory laws that, while many Democrats assert suppress voter turnout among some constituencies, there's honestly not much data to support the assertion, or the expected damage has been wiped out through registration drives and similar events. Most Republicans assert that voter ID laws reduce voter fraud, which is an equally unsupported stance. I believe I posted a link to most of this earlier in the thread.

It's honestly sad to see what Georgia is doing and what other states will assuredly follow with. We just saw the most secure election in American history, inclusive of the single largest volume of voter turnout (and by percent of eligible voters - nothing so high since the election of William Howard Taft). What reason could there possibly be to place these unnecessary barriers to participating?
    Thank you.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Most every state has an ID requirement to register. Some 30-ish states have a "present ID for in-person/for same day registration" requirement. These are largely perfunctory laws that, while many Democrats assert suppress voter turnout among some constituencies, there's honestly not much data to support the assertion, or the expected damage has been wiped out through registration drives and similar events. Most Republicans assert that voter ID laws reduce voter fraud, which is an equally unsupported stance. I believe I posted a link to most of this earlier in the thread.

It's honestly sad to see what Georgia is doing and what other states will assuredly follow with. We just saw the most secure election in American history, inclusive of the single largest volume of voter turnout (and by percent of eligible voters - nothing so high since the election of William Howard Taft). What reason could there possibly be to place these unnecessary barriers to participating?
    The answer is obvious. "Competitive disadvantage."

Will Hurd — the former Republican representative (and CIA clandestine officer) from Texas-23 — was literally a guest on the latest Hacks on Tap podcast talking about this. I'm paraphrasing him here, but he basically spoke to the fact that if Republicans want to ever win a national election again, "get better ideas." Instead, because they don't have better ideas, and appeal to a shrinking minority, they're attempting to rig aspects of our election process that would allow them to effectively steal close elections at both the state and national level.

The major talking point re: Georgia right now is the provision about it being illegal to hand food or water to anyone waiting in line to vote in the state, which I think most of us would agree, is an absurd thing to include in your state's law. But the actual most dangerous provision is the one I highlighted from the Times OpEd that would give GOP-controlled state legislatures control over state election boards, empowering the GOP state legislatures with the final say on electors should they so choose. If this were in place prior to the 2020 Presidential election, Donald Trump would have been made President based on state-level buy-in/compliance on The Big Lie that would almost certainly have rejected the certified results in Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, all of whom are GOP-controlled state legislatures.

The tl;dr version? If you can't win, cheat, by reducing the potential count advantage of your opponents.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

CEOs plan $$$ threats to lawmakers over voting laws

Top CEOs plan to get dramatically tougher on state legislators over proposed new restrictions on voting:

• After a weekend Zoom summit, the CEOs are threatening to withhold campaign contributions and to punish states by yanking investments in factories, stadiums and other lucrative projects.
    • The call included a long list of business luminaries, including James Murdoch, Ken Chenault, Ken Frazier, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman, Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh, Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, and executives of Delta, United and American Airlines.

Why it matters: After a slow response to Georgia's new limits, corporate America is suddenly making voting access a foremost issue and is going beyond words with sweeping economic threats.

• Saturday's historic Zoom summit was organized by Professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld of Yale School of Management, who told me they "fortified each other": "There was no sense of fear."
    https://www.axios.com/newsletters/ax...alshare#story1
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456