• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Seeking AHL Loan from Rangers [NOTE: *Warning in OP*]

Phil

Yup, that's where I'm at. That's why I'm surprised they are even entertaining it. I don't think another club is going to take them up on it, though. He's still radioactive. Team X picking him up for their AHL team isn't going to avoid the question simply because he's not on the main roster, you know?

I actually see this as a way for a franchise to kind of dip their toe's in the water a bit. If the reaction to his addition to an AHL roster is toxic, then the franchise can just steer clear. If they don't hear much in the way of criticism, they might want to work out a deal with the Rangers. I think a GM would be smart to attempt this. What's the risk? If the publicity is so bad, they can just cut ties with no ramifications. A real smart GM, when they bring ADA in, would also have some type of real remorseful puff piece from ADA generated from their media team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually see this as a way for a franchise to kind of dip their toe's in the water a bit. If the reaction to his addition to an AHL roster is toxic, then the franchise can just steer clear. If they don't hear much in the way of criticism, they might want to work out a deal with the Rangers. I think a GM would be smart to attempt this. What's the risk? If the publicity is so bad, they can just cut ties with no ramifications. A real smart GM, when they bring ADA in, would also have some type of real remorseful puff piece from ADA generated from their media team.

Using the Red Wings as an example: the risk is, Yzerman will be the one pulling off this deal. DeAngelo isn't on an AHL-level deal, so even if he's going to play there, he has to be invited/allowed by the NHL GM, who can't skirt the obvious question: "The Rangers completely severed/cut ties with this guy and wouldn't let him near their AHL team. Why are you letting him near yours?"

It being a loan is a mitigating factor, for sure, but it doesn't alleviate the Red Wings' front office and PR department from having to do a lot of heavy lifting.

That despite all of this TSN has him as the third-highest on their board, though, makes me think it's a real possibility. Like, do they do this to allow him to remain in game-shape and begin the legwork on his reformation campaign as a means to make a trade more likely?

Plus honestly with ADA asking for this, he is betting on himself to not cause any issues whatsoever. If he does from the AHL, he knows his career is even more over than it is now.

That's definitely true. Imagine the Rangers striking a deal to loan him to another AHL club and he pulls some shit again? He'll never be welcome in the NHL again.

Using the Red Wings as an example: the risk is, Yzerman will be the one pulling off this deal. DeAngelo isn't on an AHL-level deal, so even if he's going to play there, he has to be invited/allowed by the NHL GM, who can't skirt the obvious question: "The Rangers completely severed/cut ties with this guy and wouldn't let him near their AHL team. Why are you letting him near yours?"

It being a loan is a mitigating factor, for sure, but it doesn't alleviate the Red Wings' front office and PR department from having to do a lot of heavy lifting.

That despite all of this TSN has him as the third-highest on their board, though, makes me think it's a real possibility. Like, do they do this to allow him to remain in game-shape and begin the legwork on his reformation campaign as a means to make a trade more likely?

Right. Of course there are going to be some delicate moments for a franchise (Detroit in your example). The front office will have to closely monitor this and will have to really sell it but I think it's manageable as long as ADA plays ball. If he doesn't or the blowback is too much, bye Tony. Good luck finding another opportunity.

Plus honestly with ADA asking for this, he is betting on himself to not cause any issues whatsoever. If he does from the AHL, he knows his career is even more over than it is now.

He bet on himself last year, signing after a brief hold out and had a career year. Once he got paid it fell apart. He's been working on earning this reputation for a decade. I think he's probably past the point where a team is gonna take a chance like this on him mid season.

He bet on himself last year, signing after a brief hold out and had a career year. Once he got paid it fell apart. He's been working on earning this reputation for a decade. I think he's probably past the point where a team is gonna take a chance like this on him mid season.

Agree to disagree.

not for nothing, but he's well liked amongst his peers, as supported by Vince Mergloglianglino and he seemed to be on just about every lockerroom video MSG put out last season.

not for nothing, but he's well liked amongst his peers, as supported by Vince Mergloglianglino and he seemed to be on just about every lockerroom video MSG put out last season.
They saw what Kakko go "Nice city" and immediately sought a non-immigrant.

I would think if a team wanted to take him on they would want him for their NHL club and their power play. Once and if they get past the off ice stuff and decide to give him a chance why not put him where he can help you. If your going to take the heat for bringing him on you might as well get the reward

I would think if a team wanted to take him on they would want him for their NHL club and their power play. Once and if they get past the off ice stuff and decide to give him a chance why not put him where he can help you. If your going to take the heat for bringing him on you might as well get the reward

Well, he didn't come to camp in game shape. He wasn't playing well. He'd have to work out the kinks he had months ago before anyone would want to use him.

Is there still a such thing as re-entry waivers? Isn't that how the Rangers got Avery back and had Dallas paying half his salary? Is that an option?

I think there are definitely teams willing to give him a chance.

No, they were ended a while ago. The Rangers were willing to retain last we heard, though.

Good karma in letting him pursue something elsewhere. There must be interest or it wouldn't come up. I assume his agent has been sniffing around and found a potential suitor for his services for free.

Regardless... this ends in buyout or trade by the off-season.

Good karma in letting him pursue something elsewhere. There must be interest or it wouldn't come up. I assume his agent has been sniffing around and found a potential suitor for his services for free.

Regardless... this ends in buyout or trade by the off-season.

He needs to do what Avery suggested in a pod cast months ago. Even if it's bullshit, go get anger management counseling or self help. Show effort that you are going to atleast try to change the persona. Crap, maybe it could actually help him.

Let's be honest: this was always the most likely outcome. He. Is. NUCLEAR. No one in their right mind would touch him unless it's entlrely on their own terms, with the risks completely mitigated. In effect, bought out, able to be signed to a one-year "show me" deal is infinitely more attractive than trading for a player, even with full retention.

Who is "they?" the report of what happened occurred well before they confirmed it. The only person who ruined his trade value is him. What were the Rangers supposed to do, lie?

They = management. They delivered an ultimatum. Just trade him at that point, for whatever. I don't believe for one second they didn't have offers before all this shit went down, even if they were meh offers. If you're at the point of delivering an ultimatum, pull the trigger before it's too late. Then instead of keeping a lid on it and putting him in the press box for any number of reasons, they publicly send him home and say he's not welcome anymore? Yikes...awful asset management on this one.