• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blue Jackets Give John Tortorella Vote of Confidence

Phil

2. A few years ago, I spent some time asking GMs about the intricacies of firing coaches. How do you know when is the right time? A consistent response was, “When you see no pushback. The momentum changes in a game, and your group consistently wilts in the face of it.”

Publicly and privately, Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen stands up for John Tortorella. This is key, because sometimes what people say in private is not the same as what they say in public. But, as the Blue Jackets were swept last weekend in Nashville, extending the losing streak to five games, it was impossible not to wonder about that “pushback.” Instead, Kekalainen publicly backed his coach on Tuesday morning, disputing the idea players have tuned out Tortorella.

“We owe him a lot for what he’s done for this franchise…. I don't believe in quick fixes — that you all of a sudden blow up something that you've been building for a while. I have full confidence we’re going to snap out of this.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhl-exploring-nba-top-shot-trend/

Roslovic is almost a point per game player since the trade too. They definitely won that one.

You are right though, if Laine can become the consistently elite sniper he's definitely capable of being, it'll save Torts. He's pushed them to be a team that overachieves and the wheels were bound to come off eventually but Laine ups the talent level there so much.