• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Likely to Recall Vitali Kravtsov in Near Future

Phil

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. That's been the frustrating part for me with DQ. We aren't winning, and the right players havent soaked up what should be additional ice time so they can play.

I would think JD and Gorton are on board with the way Quinn is handling the players and their icetime, otherwise things changes would be made. Quinn isn't JD's guy so I don't think he would sit back and allow something to happen if he didn't agree with it when it comes to how the young guys are handled. So while Quinn is the easy target and I would be glad to see him go I don't believe he's a dictator here. JD and Gorton must be buying into whatever he's selling for now at least.

https://twitter.com/aj_ranger/status/1369323603465011204

Laf - Zib - Buch

CK - Strome - Kakko

Bread - Chytil - Kravtsov???

Play them all 17 minutes per game and the 4th line gets 9. Roll the lines 1-2-3-1-2-3-4

https://twitter.com/aj_ranger/status/1369295740888096775

I don't want to be "that guy" because I hate bashing David Quinn in every thread, but I really don't see him doing this.

I'm legitimately concerned with how the Rangers will use (or not use) Kravstov.

Why? Based on Gauthier's usage?

Laf and Kakko have been solidly in the top 6 for a while now, and Chytil plays plenty.

I don't want to be "that guy" because I hate bashing David Quinn in every thread, but I really don't see him doing this.

I'm legitimately concerned with how the Rangers will use (or not use) Kravstov.

I definitely wouldn't put my money on it, but that's probably the best way to spread both the talent and roles. Kravtsov will undoubtedly get the Quinn "ease-in" but I think he moves his feet enough and plays strong enough of a defensive game now that he should at least be free of the doghouse.

Why? Based on Gauthier's usage?

Laf and Kakko have been solidly in the top 6 for a while now, and Chytil plays plenty.

Well his usage with almost every player has been questionable outside of Zib, Strome and Panarin. Kakko played half of one game on the 2nd line before being demoted in game 1 of the season. He didn't come back into the top 6 until there were injuries. Laf didn't get a chance until Putin threatened Panarin. Quinn hasn't made any positive moves until the situation dictated it. Shesterkin and Georgiev split time even though Shesterkin clearly won the job last year (which IMO helped prolong Shesty's run of poor play to start the year). Lafreniere was again demoted to the 3rd line in the last game. Gauthier has played very well and basically hasn't seen the ice all year. Hell, even Blackwell had one bad game and goes straight to the pressbox over players like Lemiuex and Howden.

I just don't really agree with any of Quinn's moves, especially the in-game demotions which he hands out after a single bad shift. Players aren't allowed to make mistakes. There's no room for error - even though this team is clearly not an upper level team. I simply don't trust him to give Kravstov the leash to make errors - which he is going to make.

IMO Rangers have fucked up Kravstov's development by bringing him here too early and putting him with a coach who doesn't allow for mistakes without punishment. Kravstov complained about how the coaching staff treated him last time he was here. Now they have a 2nd chance at this and I haven't seen anything change from last year that makes me think it'll go well.

What I expect from Kravstov is 9 minutes a night of dump and chase hockey and another offensively gifted prospect who doesn't put up points. That's just how the Rangers "develop" young players.

Well his usage with almost every player has been questionable outside of Zib, Strome and Panarin. Kakko played half of one game on the 2nd line before being demoted in game 1 of the season. He didn't come back into the top 6 until there were injuries. Laf didn't get a chance until Putin threatened Panarin. Quinn hasn't made any positive moves until the situation dictated it. Shesterkin and Georgiev split time even though Shesterkin clearly won the job last year (which IMO helped prolong Shesty's run of poor play to start the year). Lafreniere was again demoted to the 3rd line in the last game. Gauthier has played very well and basically hasn't seen the ice all year. Hell, even Blackwell had one bad game and goes straight to the pressbox over players like Lemiuex and Howden.

I just don't really agree with any of Quinn's moves, especially the in-game demotions which he hands out after a single bad shift. Players aren't allowed to make mistakes. There's no room for error - even though this team is clearly not an upper level team. I simply don't trust him to give Kravstov the leash to make errors - which he is going to make.

IMO Rangers have fucked up Kravstov's development by bringing him here too early and putting him with a coach who doesn't allow for mistakes without punishment. Kravstov complained about how the coaching staff treated him last time he was here. Now they have a 2nd chance at this and I haven't seen anything change from last year that makes me think it'll go well.

I think you're blowing things out of proportion.

Laf played with Panarin and Zib before Panarin left. How is Shesty's poor start on Quinn? If Shesty played better to start the year he'd have solidified the #1 spot sooner.

I don't see how Kravtsov's development is fucked up. He's had a great year. Last year is all on Kravtsov's attitude. He got demoted by Traktor after he went back to Russia. That has nothing to do with Quinn. He's coming back in mid season form. He should slide right in and play just fine.

• Like 2

I think you're blowing things out of proportion.

Laf played with Panarin and Zib before Panarin left. How is Shesty's poor start on Quinn? If Shesty played better to start the year he'd have solidified the #1 spot sooner.

I don't see how Kravtsov's development is fucked up. He's had a great year. Last year is all on Kravtsov's attitude. He got demoted by Traktor after he went back to Russia. That has nothing to do with Quinn. He's coming back in mid season form. He should slide right in and play just fine.

The #1 spot wasn't Shesterkin's to lose. You're not reading what I'm saying. Players struggle. They need to be given time to work through it. Quinn doesn't allow that unless your name is Panarin, Zibanejad, Strome, or Howden.

Sure you can blame last time on Kravstov's "attitude." You can also blame Anderson's lack of development on his "attitude." Maybe Kakko's struggles last year were attitude based too. Or maybe the Rangers just aren't that fucking good at developing players, putting them in a place to succeed and giving them confidence.

I'll be absolutely shocked if what I said above doesn't come true for Kravstov. That's what happened to every other highly-skilled, offensive young player that's come in here. All I can base my opinions on is what's happened in the past and in the past the coach wants them to dump and chase for 9 minutes a night and not get scored on.

The #1 spot wasn't Shesterkin's to lose. You're not reading what I'm saying. Players struggle. They need to be given time to work through it. Quinn doesn't allow that unless your name is Panarin, Zibanejad, Strome, or Howden.

Or Kreider. Or Chytil. Or Smith. Or DeAngelo, candidly. Or basically anyone who isn't "mid-2019 Kaapo Kakko and/or Julien Gauthier".

Sure you can blame last time on Kravstov's "attitude." You can also blame Anderson's lack of development on his "attitude." Maybe Kakko's struggles last year were attitude based too. Or maybe the Rangers just aren't that fucking good at developing players, putting them in a place to succeed and giving them confidence.

Hard to buy that based on Strome and Chytil and Fox and Miller and Zibanejad and Lindgren and Buchnevich and bluntly, Kakko at this point. You may not like what you're seeing on the scoresheet for all of them, but it's really hard to argue the development. They all have developed under the Rangers in the past two years.

I'll be absolutely shocked if what I said above doesn't come true for Kravstov. That's what happened to every other highly-skilled, offensive young player that's come in here. All I can base my opinions on is what's happened in the past and in the past the coach wants them to dump and chase for 9 minutes a night and not get scored on.

They sent him back to Russia in no small part because if he didn't crack the top 6, he's not going to grow how they want him to. Let's not assume they're going to play it incorrectly.

Kravtsov is already better defensively than most of the bottom 6 forwards, with the exception of Rooney.

Not really sure why Kravtsov has to be a top 6 players, either. The third line is, potentially, a scoring line.

If you are an opposing coach, what do you do?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov

Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich

Kravtsov is already better defensively than most of the bottom 6 forwards, with the exception of Rooney.

Not really sure why Kravtsov has to be a top 6 players, either. The third line is, potentially, a scoring line.

That's also part of it, no? We're at a point where our 3RW is a scoring position, not a defensive assignment. Do we particularly care which of those three lines gets the extra 2 minutes at ES? I don't think I do.

It's an incredibly exciting top 9 if it works out that way. I'm just not gonna hold my breath.

It's not Quinn's fault Kravtsov got sent to the VHL last year.

It's not Quinn's fault that the Kings sent Lias Andersson to the AHL.

It was Laf's own admission that he was rusty adn couldn't keep up to start the year following a 10 month layoff. That's not Quinn's fault.

Seems like they way Quinn handled Shesty worked just fine since he was top 5 in the league in SV% and GAA average from Jan 28th until he got hurt.

Gauthier is the only player that has consistently play under 9 minutes per night, but that hasn't been the case the last handful of games after playing well and earning his way up to the third line. Laf and Kakko played under 10 minutes once each. Chytil never played under 10 minutes excluding the game he got hurt. Even last year, when Kakko was terrible, he only played under 10 minutes 3 times.

This whole Krav is gonna be on the 4th line 9 minutes per night is completely made up.

https://twitter.com/aj_ranger/status/1369323603465011204

Laf - Zib - Buch

CK - Strome - Kakko

Bread - Chytil - Kravtsov???

Play them all 17 minutes per game and the 4th line gets 9. Roll the lines 1-2-3-1-2-3-4

https://twitter.com/aj_ranger/status/1369295740888096775

sick move

It's not Quinn's fault Kravtsov got sent to the VHL last year.

It's not Quinn's fault that the Kings sent Lias Andersson to the AHL.

It was Laf's own admission that he was rusty adn couldn't keep up to start the year following a 10 month layoff. That's not Quinn's fault.

Seems like they way Quinn handled Shesty worked just fine since he was top 5 in the league in SV% and GAA average from Jan 28th until he got hurt.

Gauthier is the only player that has consistently play under 9 minutes per night, but that hasn't been the case the last handful of games after playing well and earning his way up to the third line. Laf and Kakko played under 10 minutes once each. Chytil never played under 10 minutes excluding the game he got hurt. Even last year, when Kakko was terrible, he only played under 10 minutes 3 times.

This whole Krav is gonna be on the 4th line 9 minutes per night is completely made up.

we havent really seen Laf or Kakko spend any significant time on the 4th line, if at all. i think Quinn has given them every opportunity to succeed on the top 9. I dont see any different with Kravtsov. if he cant handle top 9, they'll send him to AHL

we havent really seen Laf or Kakko spend any significant time on the 4th line, if at all. i think Quinn has given them every opportunity to succeed on the top 9. I dont see any different with Kravtsov. if he cant handle top 9, they'll send him to AHL

That was the exact reason they gave for sending him down last year.

Another thing to add, Kakko and Laf came in as 18/19 year olds. Kravtsov is now 21. Those extra years of physical maturity plus being in midseason form should result in a much easier transition.

Kakko played with Howden and Lemieux for a stretch. That's 2 tiers below 4th line hockey.