• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Likely to Recall Vitali Kravtsov in Near Future

Phil

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do to Ozzy

We'll get there, Lefty....half the fun is the chase!!

I'm just enjoying watching these kids grow..I love watching them win, but I'm not getting crazy when we blow a game. It's going to happen, and actually it's gotta happen.

I really feel good for them when they score or make a great play. This season isn't about winning, or the playoffs, or any of that stuff to me. It's about seeing these kids in an NHL game, in NHL situations, and seeing how they react, respond, and learn from their mistakes and successes in the games moving forward.

They may eventually move on from Quinn, but I will say that the majority of them have definitely learned how to defend like an NHL playoff caliber team. That in itself may have been the best lesson they could've experienced this season. The defensive part of this game is the hardest to grasp, I believe, and it's the teams that can defend, counter and hold leads, are the ones that get their names on that Silver Chalice.

We'll get there....I think the core is pretty well defined, and even with half a season to go, I think we're going to see growth in a few more guys....especially after the trade deadline. :thumbs:

"Rangers fans can totally be patient during a rebuild".

Where's that LMAO smiley?

lol there's some truth there for sure. For me personally, I've got no problem being patient with Kravtsov. When he was drafted, the expectation was never for him to play or contribute right away. I think a lot of fans were down with being patient for prospects like him until we landed the #2 and #1 overall picks and were told they can step right in and do damage right away. Well, the expectations change, and so does the patience level along with it. You start to expect to see progress sooner. Now we are left wondering if our prized picks are busts or not. The scouting was clearly wrong on both.

"Rangers fans can totally be patient during a rebuild".

Where's that LMAO smiley?

there's a huge difference between wanting to see a 21 year old top 10 draft pick get in a game vs calling a 19 year old top 10 draft pick a bust because he's not scoring

The drafting has been really good (besides Andersson).

Last 1 rnd picks: Laf (no brainer), Kakko (no brainer), Schneider (looks like a good pick, still early), Lundkvist (looks amazing, love the pick), Miller (another amazing pick), Chytil (basically a steal at that point, not setting the league on fire, but nice value from a late 20's pick), Kravtsov (Love him as a prospect, dont like the idea of him with Quinn. His playing style gonna have him benched and on the 4th line a lot with this guy. Also a few good players taken after him that both at the draft and now seems like more "safe" picks, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Farabee, Smith. Even Miller and Lundkvist would go ahead of him in a re-draft atm). A lot of good picks in the later rounds aswell.

The drafting has been really good, the development of the young D's has been good so far (or is it just Fox being Fox and Miller having a decent season?). The development of the young forwards has been brutal, and DQ has to take most of the blame here. There's just no way so many high level talents just turns into dog shit in the same organisation in a few years without it being something really wrong in how the org handles them.

Its been pointed out a lot in regards to the captaincy that we dont see whats going on "behind the doors", but there's obviously something really wrong going on there in regards to developing young forward talent and it needs to be adressed RIGHT NOW if this team wants to go somewhere. The next 1-3 years will decide the future for this franchise. If Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, (Kravtsov) continue like this we're basically fucked.

When it comes to rebuilding and waiting for kids to develop, I am patient. But like you said, there's still concern knowing this team's track record of scouting and drafting young forwards. This can be traced all the way back to the late 90's-early 2000's. They've never really had an issue developing defensemen or goaltending, forwards always seem to be the bugaboo. Am I necessarily concerned about Kakko and Lafreniere right now? No, but I watch with baited breath, that even though this franchise has a new(er) administration, I've seen too much in my lifetime. lol

Maybe Lafreniere just isn't as NHL ready as some thought and he and Kakko could have used some time in the AHL. Although the whole COVID pandemic put a wrench in certain things with camps and whatnot being truncated. I'm not going to blame everything on Quinn, even if his coaching style maybe just doesn't fit Lafreniere or the team in general anymore. Lafreniere is a guy who is go-go-go and likes to make plays. This team is just constant dump, dump, dump and sometimes chase. It's all perimeter play and they're afraid to go to the middle of the ice. It's a legitimate concern, and I don't really see how offensive players can do a whole lot in a system like that. I also have the feeling that most of the players have tuned him out at this point. Watching his body language behind the bench doesn't exude a lot of confidence as a fan, let alone what the players may be thinking.

I think this franchise is basically set in goal and on defense, but if all or most of these top forward picks don't really pan out, they're in a really tough spot.

But the rangers never really built for the future like they are now,always win now ,do we really want to push Kravtsov like we did our number one and two picks

I wouldnt call it pushing him when he's played professional hockey for 5 years.

It's not like he'd be getting 1st line minutes with a ton of pressure. It's playing time so he doesnt have to go through the "adjusting to the NHL game/rink/speed" next season.

I wouldnt call it pushing him when he's played professional hockey for 5 years.

It's not like he'd be getting 1st line minutes with a ton of pressure. It's playing time so he doesnt have to go through the "adjusting to the NHL game/rink/speed" next season.

Beat me to it. lol He's put some time in the AHL. He went back overseas to hone his game. I'm actually not overly concerned about him to be honest. He's ahead of the others in some ways.

But the rangers never really built for the future like they are now,always win now ,do we really want to push Kravtsov like we did our number one and two picks

"Pushing him" would be to put him right in the lineup last season.

Now with 3 full seasons in the KHL, 40 games in the AHL and a week+ with the team now, its not really pushing him.

Its not like he's gonna lose us a game or get destroyed playing an NHL game now, so I dont really see the problem.

Worst case? He plays to the level of Lafreniere/DiGi/Rooney/Howden and probably gets benched the rest of the game and then they can teach him whatever they feel he needs in practice the day after.

Best case? He comes in and does well and gives the team a much needed boost.

I was fine with not playing him in the weekend, but if he's not playing today Im gonna go find my pitchfork.

The more time he spends in practice with DQ, the worse. Even Howden showed some offensive life before Quinn got to him.

I’d say waiting a year and a half for the kid is showing patience. Wasn’t he drafted in 2018? :)
Kaprizov was drafted in 2016 and is a rookie at 23.

Wahlstrom was drafted after Kravtsov and just entered the league.

Rangers fans really don't have patience LOL.

Walstrom got 9 games last season, even without 3 weeks training with the NHL team. Right from the AHL team to the NHL team. (Wahlstrom played 10 AHL games more than Kravtsov, so its not like he "learned the system" any better than VK in the A). Now he has played 30 games and looked really good.

Farabee played 5 AHL games before it was right up with the big boys. Now closing in on 100 NHL games.

But VK with 150 KHL games and 40 AHL games still needs to learn how to play hockey for a couple more weeks.

We've been patience af with Krav lol. He was supposed to be "ready" last year, he wasn't and got sent to AHL. He did a good job there before returning to KHL and had a really good season there aswell. The next step now is the NHL, not practicing with Quinn.

Walstrom got 9 games last season, even without 3 weeks training with the NHL team. Right from the AHL team to the NHL team. (Wahlstrom played 10 AHL games more than Kravtsov, so its not like he "learned the system" any better than VK in the A). Now he has played 30 games and looked really good.

Farabee played 5 AHL games before it was right up with the big boys. Now closing in on 100 NHL games.

But VK with 150 KHL games and 40 AHL games still needs to learn how to play hockey for a couple more weeks.

We've been patience af with Krav lol. He was supposed to be "ready" last year, he wasn't and got sent to AHL. He did a good job there before returning to KHL and had a really good season there aswell. The next step now is the NHL, not practicing with Quinn.

Farabee

Wahlstrom

Kaprizov

Kravtsov

Which of these things are not the same?

And no, you haven't been patient at all LOL. Everyone was whining that Krav didn't make the team last camp. Then when he went back to Russia and got demoted to Saturday night club hockey folks realized he might need some seasoning.

Calling Ranger fans patient throughout any of this process is revisionist history at its finest.

Farabee

Wahlstrom

Kaprizov

Kravtsov

Which of these things are not the same?

And no, you haven't been patient at all LOL. Everyone was whining that Krav didn't make the team last camp. Then when he went back to Russia and got demoted to Saturday night club hockey folks realized he might need some seasoning.

Calling Ranger fans patient throughout any of this process is revisionist history at its finest.

So all russians needs more time than americans?

I was talking about the org being patient, not James and David on Twitter. 150 KHL games, 40 AHL games, its time for 1 NHL game. Why not? Whats the worst that can happen?

Patience is hard when you sign a world beater in Panarin, break the bank with Trouba and have a (now) dominant 1st line center in Zibby, you are gifted a 1st and second OA pick. The team is built half win now and half rebuild with patience. Having raised expectations with the draft luck we have had is to be expected.

One player I wish we kept was JT Miller. Look at how good that kid has become....

Anyway, give VK a shot. It won't hurt anything. More practice with the team does no good. Time in a game will be more fruitful.

So all russians needs more time than americans?

I was talking about the org being patient, not James and David on Twitter. 150 KHL games, 40 AHL games, its time for 1 NHL game. Why not? Whats the worst that can happen?

I mean Russians tend to stay in the KHL longer, if they ever come over at all. This is common knowledge.

Shesterkin waited until 23. Kravtsov just turned 21. He is much younger than many other RUssian imports.

Krav will get an NHL game when he's ready. There is no rush to play him today.

Patience is hard when you sign a world beater in Panarin, break the bank with Trouba and have a (now) dominant 1st line center in Zibby, you are gifted a 1st and second OA pick. The team is built half win now and half rebuild with patience. Having raised expectations with the draft luck we have had is to be expected.

One player I wish we kept was JT Miller. Look at how good that kid has become.

Ryan Graves was the guy I thought of, JSM...but we have such a glut of good defenseman now. JT is doing great out in Vancouver, and I'm really happy for the guy. I think we locked into a good thing with Strome though. Strome is having a helluva good season, and he's progressing nice for a young center.

Every situation with every player is different. Minnesota didn't tell Kaprizov to marinate in the KHL. He wanted to do that. Having Kravtsov just sitting around, practicing one time since he ended the KHL playoffs, makes absolutely no sense to me. Clearly they don't want to send him to Hartford. Maybe they're afraid he'll just go back to Russia? Whatever the case is, this limbo thing seems like the worse thing you can do with a young player. Whoever got better by not playing?

• Like 1

Ryan Graves was the guy I thought of, JSM...but we have such a glut of good defenseman now. JT is doing great out in Vancouver, and I'm really happy for the guy. I think we locked into a good thing with Strome though. Strome is having a helluva good season, and he's progressing nice for a young center.

Totally agree. We lucked out on Strome thankfully. He fills that second line center role as well as anyone. I just hope the young talent up front starts to really kick it up a notch and we can start competing next year, at least for a playoff spot.