• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AHL/Juniors Option

The Dude

So, this season is pretty much over.

With that said, the Rangers have to face facts. Their top prospects are not playing or producing at a level I consider good enough to warrant staying on the roster. Whether that is their fault or not can and should be a part of the discussion.

It has to be.

Both Lafreniere and Kakko (when healthy) are not looking like top overall picks. Obviously we all want these kids to be huge pieces of the future. We want every opportunity given to them to succeed. It's just not there. They look lost. They do not look anything like the game changers we thought we were drafting.

So, are they still here only due to their draft status? Typically such highly regarded prospects would be getting top minutes, or at least show some spurts of absolute dominance.

Maybe they just aren't ready?

Maybe they need to play in the AHL , or go back to Jr's. They certainly shouldn't be on the Rangers right now. I question if Miller should be, and he looks good!

I obviously feel like it's the coach. If the Rangers aren't going to make a change behind the bench, they really need to make roster moves that will benefit the struggling prospects. It's becoming painful watching Lafreniere look mediocre to below mediocre out there.

This shouldn't continue. Call it a season and tell these kids that they are headed to their respective places, due to a losing environment in NY.

What a waste of their ELC years.

First of all, everyone agrees that Kakko is much improved over last year. LaF had a good game in the win over Boston. The problem with both of these guys is that there is no really good place for them at age 18-19. They will just develop bad habits (like holding the puck) if placed in Juniors or the AHL where they can get away with things that they can't in the NHL. It's frustrating, but you just have to stay the course with them.

LaF sometimes looks like he's coming off a night of fitful rest in which he heard David Quinn's voice telling him what to do all night. He needs to be told to do what comes naturally and have some fun.

First of all, everyone agrees that Kakko is much improved over last year. LaF had a good game in the win over Boston. The problem with both of these guys is that there is no really good place for them at age 18-19. They will just develop bad habits (like holding the puck) if placed in Juniors or the AHL where they can get away with things that they can't in the NHL. It's frustrating, but you just have to stay the course with them.

LaF sometimes looks like he's coming off a night of fitful rest in which he heard David Quinn's voice telling him what to do all night. He needs to be told to do what comes naturally and have some fun.

Which is it? Do what comes naturally? Or do what Quinn says? Who says holding onto the puck is a bad habit? Why is that being drilled into the heads of kids drafted FOR THAT SKILL?

Kakko looking better than last year is not saying much. So you're saying he looks like he MIGHT barely belong at the NHL level, instead of looking like a player that can dominate the NHL.

It's not good enough. They need to be better. It's not happening here. Draft status be damned. They aren't passing any eye test. They need work and they need to develop. It's not happening here.

If they were any other prospect, people would have zero problem with sending them down. Andersson had to do it. Chytil had to do it. Hajek had to do it. McDonagh had to do it.

If there aren't any results... I mean come on. Yes, it's a let down. Hurts like fuck. But I think they are doing more damage to these kids than good.

2 goals.

1 assist

That's their stat line. That's horrendous from your top picks in two drafts. We expected more from lesser hyped players and were fine with demotions. Why not now?

I will say this, Kakko does look better this year but he doesn’t exactly look like a special talent or anything either. He has 3 points and hasn’t scored a goal since Jan 22nd. That’s a 10 game goallless drought. I am not suggesting for one second I think him or ALF have to leave the NHL but if this seasons is lost....well again, it’s time to start suggesting this coach is the actual square peg, not every other under developing player.

But anyway, I’m more baffled by how a guy like Howden remains in the lineup every game. He hasn’t done a thing this year. I’d start there well before ALF or Kakko. He will be 23 I think in March and is in his third nhl season. I’m not sure if he’s really ever going to be more than a plugger but I know he’s not developing right now at all. I think it’s time to get looks to others.

They need to learn at the NHL level.

But they need to be put in a place to succeed. 2nd unit PP time with Lemieux and Smith ain’t it.

Why has this changed with the organization? Any other prospects would have been sent down after game 5. I really don't think playing time here with this coach can help them. They look that lost. That bad. Definitely not game changer level of skill being shown.

I guess more playing time, with better players can't hurt. I'm just seriously depressed with their lack of production and the lack of ability on the ice. I was expecting a shit ton more. Feels like they are in limbo here. They look handcuffed. They don't even show flashes like Chytil did.

Seems like expectations have been considerably lowered. Lowered to the point of being happy that they skate a decent game or almost had a good scoring chance.

I will say this, Kakko does look better this year but he doesn’t exactly look like a special talent or anything either. He has 3 points and hasn’t scored a goal since Jan 22nd. That’s a 10 game goallless drought. I am not suggesting for one second I think him or ALF have to leave the NHL but if this seasons is lost....well again, it’s time to start suggesting this coach is the actual square peg, not every other under developing player.

But anyway, I’m more baffled by how a guy like Howden remains in the lineup every game. He hasn’t done a thing this year. I’d start there well before ALF or Kakko. He will be 23 I think in March and is in his third nhl season. I’m not sure if he’s really ever going to be more than a plugger but I know he’s not developing right now at all. I think it’s time to get looks to others.

Good take on Howden. Hes somehow less impressive than last season. He really looks like he regressed. I'd have zero problem sending him down. He's done nothing with his opportunity. Really bringing nothing to the table this season. At least last year he looked like he had a little bit of offensive ability that was waiting to be tapped. Another player I had higher expectations for.

Why has this changed with the organization? Any other prospects would have been sent down after game 5. I really don't think playing time here with this coach can help them. They look that lost. That bad. Definitely not game changer level of skill being shown.

I guess more playing time, with better players can't hurt. I'm just seriously depressed with their lack of production and the lack of ability on the ice. I was expecting a shit ton more. Feels like they are in limbo here. They look handcuffed. They don't even show flashes like Chytil did.

Seems like expectations have been considerably lowered. Lowered to the point of being happy that they skate a decent game or almost had a good scoring chance.

Well, we know young forwards can’t function under Quinn and whatever the fuck he says. But Hartford isn’t an option, junior hockey isn’t possible. So, it’s the same ole shit, or actually giving them important minutes.

Long Live 30 can come tell us how much ice time Kakko got after penalties expired, and were supposed to think that’s good coaching to develop kids.

But with Strome and Zibanejad both looking like garbage most of the time, the options are limited... but we should still be seeing these guys in the right spots more than we are.

Well, we know young forwards can’t function under Quinn and whatever the fuck he says. But Hartford isn’t an option, junior hockey isn’t possible. So, it’s the same ole shit, or actually giving them important minutes.

Long Live 30 can come tell us how much ice time Kakko got after penalties expired, and were supposed to think that’s good coaching to develop kids.

But with Strome and Zibanejad both looking like garbage most of the time, the options are limited... but we should still be seeing these guys in the right spots more than we are.

Not sure why Hartford isn't an option. At least for Kakko. Kravstov had to go there. Why not Kakko?

Why isn't Jr hockey possible? Aren't some leagues playing? Can Lafreniere be loaned to a college team?

Not sure why there's so much pushback. Every Rangers prospect has had to do it. These guys look worse off than previous players like Andersson/Chytil/DeAngelo/everyone.

I'm anti Hartford as a place to develop, especially when its young, talented wingers born in Quebec or overseas.

I'd like to see how Hartford does this season. I keep hearing its turning around, but wait until its successful before sending top picks there.

Laf is looking a little better imo, just needs some more PP time, last couple games he's almost had a couple and he's made some really good passes.I think he's starting to get a feel for the speed of the game here.

Kakko despite not scoring has looked much more like a man than a kid,I wish the goals would come too.

Don't see a point in having them in the AHL against inferior competition.

I guess the question is what 2 players are being held back by Kakko and Laf?

No offense, but some of this stuff is just silly.

Themselves. They look like shit. They play with zero confidence. They look beaten. A minute bird stint used to be the answer to wake up struggling youngsters. Guess these two are different.

Themselves. They look like shit. They play with zero confidence. They look beaten. A minute bird stint used to be the answer to wake up struggling youngsters. Guess these two are different.

I'll ask you again... What 2 wings would make the NHL club better?

I'll ask you again... What 2 wings would make the NHL club better?

It's not about bringing in someone better. It's about developing their talents and getting them on track to come back to the Rangers and contribute. They need confidence. Not sure what is so hard to understand. The season is a loss. Done. Over. It's not about winning this season.

It's not about bringing in someone better. It's about developing their talents and getting them on track to come back to the Rangers and contribute. They need confidence. Not sure what is so hard to understand. The season is a loss. Done. Over. It's not about winning this season.

If they need a confidence boost, they should call home and talk to mom and dad.. These guys both dominated lower levels, they need to learn how to make it in the NHL.. I'm not sure beating on a roster full of guys who will never be meaningful NHLers does them any more good than seeing day in and day out what it takes to succeed.

This is all moot anyway.

Quinn is going to pound this shit into their heads until it they do it right. And again, until it becomes second nature. They play good defensive hockey on instinct - something’s Kakko and Lafreniere have never been required to do in their careers. (Same with Kravtsov). And not just defensive hockey, but being hard on pucks, tonight on the boards, essentially (hopefully) tough to play against. Once that happens, we see players get a little bit more leeway to allow their offensive talent to shine. Zibanejad, Panarin, having career seasons. Fox was great, but you know what? He shined defensively before he started going-off offensively - because he was doing the things that Quinn demands. As JD says, “it’s a process”. Deangelo, even Strome - career years. And they had to be good defensively, responsible, etc before they started succeeding offensively. Buchnevich is killing penalties. And he should have had a few of those goals, putting him at close to a ppg.

Kakko, started playing “Quinn” hockey. And we started to see him get those chances. He’s close. He’s an NHL player this season, no question. The goals and offensive will come. He’s barely 20. Lafreniere will come along, but what he needs to learn is the NHL game. He can’t learn that anywhere else.

• Like 1

Quinn is going to pound this shit into their heads until it they do it right. And again, until it becomes second nature. They play good defensive hockey on instinct - something’s Kakko and Lafreniere have never been required to do in their careers. (Same with Kravtsov). And not just defensive hockey, but being hard on pucks, tonight on the boards, essentially (hopefully) tough to play against. Once that happens, we see players get a little bit more leeway to allow their offensive talent to shine. Zibanejad, Panarin, having career seasons. Fox was great, but you know what? He shined defensively before he started going-off offensively - because he was doing the things that Quinn demands. As JD says, “it’s a process”. Deangelo, even Strome - career years. And they had to be good defensively, responsible, etc before they started succeeding offensively. Buchnevich is killing penalties. And he should have had a few of those goals, putting him at close to a ppg.

Kakko, started playing “Quinn” hockey. And we started to see him get those chances. He’s close. He’s an NHL player this season, no question. The goals and offensive will come. He’s barely 20. Lafreniere will come along, but what he needs to learn is the NHL game. He can’t learn that anywhere else.

So many good points here, Josh!

This is exactly what I see going on this season. Love Quinn or hate him, these guys are learning to play the NHL game at both ends of the ice. As painstaking as it may be, this is the modern day NHL learning curve in my opinion, and if this is what it takes to sacrifice 2 or 3 seasons until they emerge as a Cup contenders for the next 10-12 years, I'm good with it. :thumbs:

If they need a confidence boost, they should call home and talk to mom and dad.. These guys both dominated lower levels, they need to learn how to make it in the NHL.. I'm not sure beating on a roster full of guys who will never be meaningful NHLers does them any more good than seeing day in and day out what it takes to succeed.

This is all moot anyway.

It works for many players. Most recent example is Chytil.

Your examples are of much older players. Players who were already pretty well rounded. DeAngelo was never well rounded...

We aren't talking about a 22th overall pick, whom you expect to learn the ropes. These are supposed to be game changers. What number 1 picks have looked this lost or average over the last 5 years? They at least put up some points. You don't take such talents and try to change them. This team could draft McDavid and people would be fine with Quinn "pounding this shit into their head".

This isn't going to end with these two players being top six scoring phenoms. Like they were drafted as. Nope. 20 goals and solid PK guys... Awesome. The Rangers want to replace Jesper Fast do bad, that they are willing to sacrifice top scoring talent to create Fast 2.0.