• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#19) Rangers vs. Boston Bruins // Looks Like Bear's Back on the Menu

Morphinity 2.0

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where Quinn gets fired as its his game plan. 5-4 PP 3 guys in the corner no one in front of the net and the bruins pass it right in front of the net, no one there. 6-4 PP non one in front of the net and all they did was chase the puck around the perimeter. Bruins get their asses handed to them and Cassidy makes the adjustment ( NHL coach ) Quinn and no f...king clue

This is where Quinn gets fired as its his game plan. 5-4 PP 3 guys in the corner no one in front of the net and the bruins pass it right in front of the net, no one there. 6-4 PP non one in front of the net and all they did was chase the puck around the perimeter. Bruins get their asses handed to them and Cassidy makes the adjustment ( NHL coach ) Quinn and no f...king clue

Don't know why this team is so perimeter oriented; when they've had success it's been from keeping it simple, shooting, going to the net. But they fall in love with trying to making the perfect pass. Is that the players being skill oriented or the coach not drilling that home? I dunno. But imagine based on games like Friday, Quinn is saying those things in practice and during games. Quinn never fails to talk about competing for pucks and battling.

Poorly played game by the Rangers but these are the real Bruins and not what they faced the other night. You could just tell that there was more energy in the Boston lineup as they were nowhere near as sluggish as the prior game coming off a back-to-back.

The Rangers are still without an identity. There's nothing that drives them toward winning, they just sometimes pull one out of their asses. Strome alluded to them figuring out that they needed to simplify their game in order to win the last one. None of that simplification existed today. It's always the same shit. "They wanted it more." "We need to simplify." So do something different and make it a routine.

No one should expect the Rangers to win every game. We just aren't there yet. The lack of passion or effort is the concerning part. I know they actually care but they odnt match or exceed the opposition's passion sometimes, make any adjustments that actually show results. A lot of reasons for that but it's something that needs to change when it happens as often as it does with us.

Don't know why this team is so perimeter oriented; when they've had success it's been from keeping it simple, shooting, going to the net. But they fall in love with trying to making the perfect pass. Is that the players being skill oriented or the coach not drilling that home? I dunno. But imagine based on games like Friday, Quinn is saying those things in practice and during games. Quinn never fails to talk about competing for pucks and battling.

Bruins are beatable every night as the Islanders and Rangers proved it by pounding the hits on the star players and keeping the Ranger game simple. Shoot, go to the net and stay off the perimeter play. Quinn see ya, send Howden, Rooney and Johnson down bring up Reunanen, Barron and Newell to see what they have unless Chtyl ready. If everyone says the short season is a loss then the Rangers have nothing to loose.

No one should expect the Rangers to win every game. We just aren't there yet. The lack of passion or effort is the concerning part. I know they actually care but they odnt match or exceed the opposition's passion sometimes, make any adjustments that actually show results. A lot of reasons for that but it's something that needs to change when it happens as often as it does with us.

This.

DeAngelo had a career year under Quinn offensively. Full stop. I'm also not turning this into an argument about him. You can't tell me a player who was top 5 in D scoring last season was held back offensively. That wasn't the issue.

I remember that comment by Quinn re: Hajek because you posted it and I addressed it then. You can go find that post, I'm not trying to recreate it.

None of the Rangers defensemen have been held back offensively. Fox had 40 points as a rookie defenseman last season. He's still thriving. Miller gets time on the second powerplay unit and has had a few moments where he's carried the puck the full length to start a play. Lindgren has been engaging offensively and shooting more. I don't see an issue.

I don't like Quinn but this isn't an issue.

As I said. He had no choice but to use DeAngelo. I'm nda obvious he didn't really want to. Considering the short leash he was always on, it kinda tells the story. Either be an all-star caliber offensive D man, or you're out.. Prior to last season season, DeAngelo needed injuries to the lineup to get a chance... I'm not trying to make this about him though.

As for the post about what Quinn said.. ?? You addressed it? And? So that means it can't be discussed further, weeks later?

Why skip over my points about Hajeks play to start last season? Or why he was aquired to begin with? They obviously want to dial him back and change his game. Otherwise he would have been an automatic roster spot and there would be no Johnson signing. Nevermind that he's been playing over both Hajek and Reunanen. If there is no issue with Hajeks game, why hasn't he been getting any minutes . Why no top 6 spots? That comment was obviously a shot and not a compliment.

Again. Quinn doesn't use young D men, unless he's forced to. Nevermind if they are offensie first types.

I wonder how much of a disconnect there is between Gorton and Quinn. Gorton seems to continue to draft and aquire non Quinn type of young players.

Fox is the anomaly as he's obviously well rounded and was known to be so when they traded for him. How'd Pionk do under Quinn? Shattenkirk?

Miller is playing big minutes because he is a mega talent and is striving mostly due to his raw talent that needs some pollish. I'd say it's a miracle Lindgren got the chance to prove himself. People here wrote the kid off a year after the Rangers got him.

I don't give Quinn credit for any prospects. I think they do well inspite of him. Don't agree? Fine. I've shown reasons why I feel that way. You've shown reasons why you disagree. Maybe you can move along with the subject and it can be discussed further with others?

As I said. He had no choice but to use DeAngelo. I'm nda obvious he didn't really want to. Considering the short leash he was always on, it kinda tells the story. Either be an all-star caliber offensive D man, or you're out.. Prior to last season season, DeAngelo needed injuries to the lineup to get a chance... I'm not trying to make this about him though.

As for the post about what Quinn said.. ?? You addressed it? And? So that means it can't be discussed further, weeks later?

Why skip over my points about Hajeks play to start last season? Or why he was aquired to begin with? They obviously want to dial him back and change his game. Otherwise he would have been an automatic roster spot and there would be no Johnson signing. Nevermind that he's been playing over both Hajek and Reunanen. If there is no issue with Hajeks game, why hasn't he been getting any minutes . Why no top 6 spots? That comment was obviously a shot and not a compliment.

Again. Quinn doesn't use young D men, unless he's forced to. Nevermind if they are offensie first types.

I wonder how much of a disconnect there is between Gorton and Quinn. Gorton seems to continue to draft and aquire non Quinn type of young players.

Fox is the anomaly as he's obviously well rounded and was known to be so when they traded for him. How'd Pionk do under Quinn? Shattenkirk?

Miller is playing big minutes because he is a mega talent and is striving mostly due to his raw talent that needs some pollish. I'd say it's a miracle Lindgren got the chance to prove himself. People here wrote the kid off a year after the Rangers got him.

I don't give Quinn credit for any prospects. I think they do well inspite of him. Don't agree? Fine. I've shown reasons why I feel that way. You've shown reasons why you disagree. Maybe you can move along with the subject and it can be discussed further with others?

Why ignore them? Because I addressed them in the post about Hajek a week ago. I don't need to make the same point again because it still stands.

Hajek hadn't been playing because he hadn't been good enough. Simple as that. He was on the outside looking in after being a player they held in high esteem. Others jumped him and usurped his spots. Lindgren's was guaranteed a spot. Miller has more than earned his. That leaves one spot that was originally left for a veteran in either Smith or Johnson rotating. DeAngelo's departure forced him back to the right and allowed Hajek an eventual chance to perform. You're also speaking as though Johnson is still playing over Hajek. He isn't. Johnson returned and Bitetto got scratched. Seems like Hajek is still getting his licks.

The Rangers top 4 defense is comprised of young defensemen. A rookie and two sophomores. Quinn's matchup pairing to end last season was Lindgren-Fox. You can't argue that he doesn't use his young defensemen because that's just false. It's literally incorrect. He didn't use Hajek last season who struggled and was sent down. He worked his way back into the lineup and he stayed. DeAngelo struggled with him and eventually earned enough trust for a greater role, but his CONDUCT was the issue.

Shattenkirk played one season under Quinn. He went on to play for a Stanley Cup-winning Tampa Bay Lightning where he was frequently paired with either McDonagh or Hedman for most of the season. He produced a whopping 6 more points than his prior season with the Rangers. He was also 30 years old. What does he have to do with this conversation?

Pionk was played as a top-pairing defenseman under Quinn. He went on to Winnipeg where he'd double his PP time. Not exactly like he underperformed here. They just thought they'd get something better out of Trouba. They were wrong.

You're arguing that defensemen don't perform offensively under Quinn and yet defense is the position where we've actually seen young players thrive over the last few years. Seems like there's a disconnect there. You can't say Lindgren, Miller, Fox, etc. are all succeeding and then doing it in spite of Quinn who is restricting them. Is he restricting them or isn't he? The Rangers for the first time since 1994 had two defensemen with 40+ seasons last year and yet somehow Quinn is impeding their offense.

Just no.

Why ignore them? Because I addressed them in the post about Hajek a week ago. I don't need to make the same point again because it still stands.

Hajek hadn't been playing because he hadn't been good enough. Simple as that. He was on the outside looking in after being a player they held in high esteem. Others jumped him and usurped his spots. Lindgren's was guaranteed a spot. Miller has more than earned his. That leaves one spot that was originally left for a veteran in either Smith or Johnson rotating. DeAngelo's departure forced him back to the right and allowed Hajek an eventual chance to perform. You're also speaking as though Johnson is still playing over Hajek. He isn't. Johnson returned and Bitetto got scratched. Seems like Hajek is still getting his licks.

The Rangers top 4 defense is comprised of young defensemen. A rookie and two sophomores. Quinn's matchup pairing to end last season was Lindgren-Fox. You can't argue that he doesn't use his young defensemen because that's just false. It's literally incorrect. He didn't use Hajek last season who struggled and was sent down. He worked his way back into the lineup and he stayed. DeAngelo struggled with him and eventually earned enough trust for a greater role, but his CONDUCT was the issue.

Shattenkirk played one season under Quinn. He went on to play for a Stanley Cup-winning Tampa Bay Lightning where he was frequently paired with either McDonagh or Hedman for most of the season. He produced a whopping 6 more points than his prior season with the Rangers. He was also 30 years old. What does he have to do with this conversation?

Pionk was played as a top-pairing defenseman under Quinn. He went on to Winnipeg where he'd double his PP time. Not exactly like he underperformed here. They just thought they'd get something better out of Trouba. They were wrong.

You're arguing that defensemen don't perform offensively under Quinn and yet defense is the position where we've actually seen young players thrive over the last few years. Seems like there's a disconnect there. You can't say Lindgren, Miller, Fox, etc. are all succeeding and then doing it in spite of Quinn who is restricting them. Is he restricting them or isn't he? The Rangers for the first time since 1994 had two defensemen with 40+ seasons last year and yet somehow Quinn is impeding their offense.

Just no.

You didn't talk about Hajeks play last season in the other thread other than he needs to gain confidence after a bad showing, which isn't exactly true.. Your take seemed more like, I misinterpreted what Quinn said. You took it as a positive outlook on the player. I didn't.

I've noted that Quinn uses youngsters when there is no other option. That pretty much tells you MY take on why the young players played.. There was no other option.

Johnson WAS playing over Hajek! He was brought in KNOWING the depth of youth was waiting for their shot... Why? The coach will play a vet over a kid.

What other choice did he have to use Lindgren and Fox? Had Gorton brought in more gets, I honestly don't think we would see Lindgren grow into what he became with playing time. Again I don't credit Quinn for using his ONLY option. They tried milking every last drop out of Staal, Smith and Skjei before they finally gave time to Lindgren. So, yeah, no.

My bad on Shattenkirk. I thought he did much worse here. Still. He played like shit and played over DeAngelo and Pionk.. My point was going to be that offensive D men don't do well under him. He didn't play well at all and seemed like a different player with less offensive ability. Thought he did worse.

Pionk was a disaster under Quinn. They tried to use him as a top pairing guy expecting defensive ability from him. As usual tried to change the player... They got nothing instead. You say Winnipeg doubled his PP time.. Who was getting that time over him here? Why wasn't he used? That was obviously the kids strong point. Bet he was on the PK though..

If Quinn had other options. We wouldn't see these kids play and force his hand. That's my point.

Again if you disagree. Fine. Move on. I've clearly made my point

Quinn hates kids.

Plays Fox 30 mins a night.

Played Key over Smith from the start of the year and on top pair with Trouba.

Played a clearly struggling Kakko all last year and a clearly struggling Lafreniere this year. Neither player saw press box.

Benched Lundy for Geo and Shesty.

Yes he hates youth.

Where do people get this stuff from?

I've noted that Quinn uses youngsters when there is no other option. That pretty much tells you MY take on why the young players played.. There was no other option.

Johnson WAS playing over Hajek! He was brought in KNOWING the depth of youth was waiting for their shot... Why? The coach will play a vet over a kid.

So the crux of your argument is effectively based on a hypothetical while real life has supported the contrary. Yeah, I'm done here too.

So the crux of your argument is effectively based on a hypothetical while real life has supported the contrary. Yeah, I'm done here too.

Real life shows that he's had no other options on D.

At forward he does have options. And he's fucking up our supposed generational talents while giving valuable minutes to AHL lifers. How has this team failed to produce NHL forwards, with top overall picks, while employing the likes of Michael Haley, Gregg McKegg, Di Giuseppe, Blackwell and other garbage? This after dropping/ruining forward prospects like Andersson, and failing to utilize other possible talent like Gauthier.

So he somehow is a magician with top tier potential D men when forced to use them, but can't get all world talent forwards to play past a 4th line role, when he plays vet trash ahead of them?? This makes sense how?

Had the Rangers brought back a scrub like Claesson last season, we would never have heard from Lindgren. There's developing the talent and there's having no choice but to use what's given to you. Quinn gets the credit by default with the D men he HAD to use.

Real life shows that he's had no other options on D.

At forward he does have options. And he's fucking up our supposed generational talents while giving valuable minutes to AHL lifers. How has this team failed to produce NHL forwards, with top overall picks, while employing the likes of Michael Haley, Gregg McKegg, Di Giuseppe, Blackwell and other garbage? This after dropping/ruining forward prospects like Andersson, and failing to utilize other possible talent like Gauthier.

So he somehow is a magician with top tier potential D men when forced to use them, but can't get all world talent forwards to play past a 4th line role, when he plays vet trash ahead of them?? This makes sense how?

Had the Rangers brought back a scrub like Claesson last season, we would never have heard from Lindgren. There's developing the talent and there's having no choice but to use what's given to you. Quinn gets the credit by default with the D men he HAD to use.

Because that's how rosters work. Coaches utilize the players provided by the GM. So Quinn, like literally any other coach, has used young defensemen and they've thrived under him. There is no "but if he had other players" because he doesn't and there have been no long-term instances of him doing so.

This started as a discussion about Quinn developing defensemen and their skills offensively. Defensemen continue to develop under him and continue to have room to thrive offensively. I won't be joining you on other tangents.

Because that's how rosters work. Coaches utilize the players provided by the GM. So Quinn, like literally any other coach, has used young defensemen and they've thrived under him. There is no "but if he had other players" because he doesn't and there have been no long-term instances of him doing so.

This started as a discussion about Quinn developing defensemen and their skills offensively. Defensemen continue to develop under him and continue to have room to thrive offensively. I won't be joining you on other tangents.

It’s quite possible that the both of you are right though. Just taking the D itself and forgetting the forward crop and a point can be made either way in my opinion. Fox has developed under Quinn. No brainer. He’s on pace for about another 45 point season.

Miller has but it’s been way too early to call a success and he’s also sort of regressed a bit in recent games as bigger minutes have been given. He’s young though.

Now Trouba. Has he regressed as a player or developed since he got here from Winnipeg? I’d say regressed even if we are talking purely offensively. Obviously part of that is from lesser pp minutes but he does not look like even the same person mobility wise in his breakout. He honestly looks like a 32 or 33 year old Girardi rather than a guy that just turned 27 in his prime. If this is his prime then holy shit. I know it’s more on Gorton for the trade but Quinn hasn’t exactly gotten the best out of him. 3 points in 14 games. Three ! My god.

That’ll bring us lastly to our favorite non Ranger member of the club in ADA. The easy thing to say is he flourished because well, last year. Wouldn’t be a bad point either. And yes he does have attitude problems and is temperamental. He still was and is their best offensive defenseman though and went into this year, settled out of arbitration, during the few days of camp publicly said he wanted to play either side L or R to just do whatever is best for the team, then got thrown under the bus for an entire dogshit team performance on opening night. ADA then went straight downhill. I don’t see many other players held accountable for stupid penalties. He then got further sat, and was removed day 1 of his return from pp1 where likely it’s the only place he truly is worth his money all while literally being paired with, statistically, one of the worst defensemen in the entire league. That’s not putting someone in a position to succeed either so for whatever thriving ADA did under Quinn was ripped apart right then and there. If you have a pp specialist then by god use him that way. I know Fox is good and is a much better well rounded player but he’s not Superman either. Can’t run him into the ground. Point is, you can make an easy case in my mind ADA hardcore regressed as well. I think that’s on both player and coach. Not excusing ADA at all, but I think it’s more than just Tony being Tony.