• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Broken Sticks — The New Pandemic

Ozzy

I don't know what it is lately. Maybe I just noticed it and now that I'm paying attention to it, but every game I watch around the NHL, I see players breaking sticks on virtually every shift. Either it's while taking a shot, or even breaking up a play. Sometimes it seems like a guy sneezes and the damn thing is in pieces!

Mika broke 3 sticks last game against the Caps, and last night when I watched the Isles/Sabres game, there was a pile of lumber in the corner for a minute and a half after the Isles PP in the 2nd period. Same thing in the Avs/Flames game. Gerard winds up, goes to take a shot, and half his stick turns into a boomerang!! :wtf:

What the hell is going on with these new sticks??? They're terrible, and they always seem to break at the worst times!

Back in the old days, those sticks were 100% wood, and those fuckers NEVER broke....unless you cross checked the pee outta some guy in front, or slashed him across the back! (wait.... how do I know that? ;))

I may be wrong but I haven’t noticed an uptick in the last few years. Feel like it’s been at this level for a while.

Lighter sticks come with a price- they’re not as sturdy

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yea this is nothing new.

Ok, I'm senile then....I just see this shit every game, and I'm like...."I never broke a stick on a shot like that!"...then again, I couldn't break a pane of glass with my shot, so..... But I've cross checked guys and .....ah whatever...I'm old. I didn't notice until recently.

Yeah, as other said, with the dawn of composite sticks, this really isn't super new. These guys push the limits of what these sticks can do. Any sticks you see breaking in odd ways, like receiving a pass, probably took damage earlier in the shift and they just didn't notice or didn't want to leave the play (even though they're supposed to.)

With that said you'd think after years of this manufacturers would find a way to sturdy these sticks up a bit. I refuse to spend more than $100-130 for a stick because I know it wont last me more than year on average. I can't even imagine what an athlete goes through in a season.

With that said you'd think after years of this manufacturers would find a way to sturdy these sticks up a bit. I refuse to spend more than $100-130 for a stick because I know it wont last me more than year on average. I can't even imagine what an athlete goes through in a season.

Gimme those old Sher-Wood's, KOHO's, PMP's and Victoriaville's. Those babies were solid!!!

...matter of fact I think I still have Ulf Nilsson's KOHO in my garage someplace....I have to look!

Gimme those old Sher-Wood's, KOHO's, PMP's and Victoriaville's. Those babies were solid!!!

...matter of fact I think I still have Ulf Nilsson's KOHO in my garage someplace....I have to look!

Love the old Sher-wood sticks and I believe one was called feather light if I remember.

My first stick, a straight Northland "Pro", was indestructible. After it was retired to street hockey use and wore down to the point where it couldn't be used, it made good firewood. When I was playing in the 70s, a good wood stick cost about $6 and lasted longer than these composite jobs. Are players really shooting harder with the composites? I've never seen that documented with a radar gun.

It's just the nature of thre NHL these days. Players are faster and stronger. The slap shot is most gone and replaced with snap, wrist, and whippy shots. Flexible sticks are a necessity to generate the whip necessary for explosion off the stick. It's really not a new thing though. Ben about 15 or so plus years of it. Jagr used to break his stick on shootout attempts lol

20-5196.jpg

I don't remember if it was this exact model but some of my first sticks. Loved these ^

Love the old Sher-wood sticks and I believe one was called feather light if I remember.

My first stick, a straight Northland "Pro", was indestructible. After it was retired to street hockey use and wore down to the point where it couldn't be used, it made good firewood. When I was playing in the 70s, a good wood stick cost about $6 and lasted longer than these composite jobs. Are players really shooting harder with the composites? I've never seen that documented with a radar gun.

That's the ones I remember too, Nashty!

But yeah Paddy, "Feather-light" That's right! That's the one I used.

Those Northland's were indestructible, Sod. I used to see goalies use those all the time too!!

If you remember, a year ago, the stick factories shut down. Players were "scrambling" for sticks (they werent, but there were limits on quantities)

Most likely some manufacturing issues due to resources, employees, production numbers, etc. I'd expect to be an increase in defects with any rushed mass production.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/how-the-coronavirus-is-creating-an-nhl-stick-shortage/

How the coronavirus is creating an NHL stick shortage

• Like 1

Had to have what the Rangers were using, and they switched as a team. For example, in 69-70 it was Northland and they switched to Sher-Wood for 70-71, so all youth hockey players had to switch. Equipment was uniform then. Whole team had Cooper gloves. Goalies had the same model Cooper waffle board for almost 15 years. Whole team had Tacks.

Had to have what the Rangers were using, and they switched as a team. For example, in 69-70 it was Northland and they switched to Sher-Wood for 70-71, so all youth hockey players had to switch. Equipment was uniform then. Whole team had Cooper gloves. Goalies had the same model Cooper waffle board for almost 15 years. Whole team had Tacks.

I still have my Tacks Sod. I recently asked a young hockey player if he'd ever heard of Tacks and he said "what's that"? Lol

Wow!! Tacks!!! Super Tacks too!! I had those!! Man, that brings back some memories!!!

Broken Sticks sounds like a hockey podcast with 6 listeners

It's actually a good name for some type of thing like that, right?? ;)

Just a note though...I checked out the Blackhawks/Blue Jackets game last night....I hope someone has a fireplace!!

I'm so busy watching Kane, Dubrincat and the rest, that I guess I really never noticed how many sticks break during a game...holy shit balls!!

By the way, Laine looks great with Columbus!!

I think people care about brands, but Bauer is now the go-to, where CCM hasn't been that in decades.

When specifically talking about sticks, I think this is the case. CCM skates are still solid and well thought of. TRUE hockey sticks have been the real rage lately for the youth hockey players my son's age (15). I don't know anything about them but that is the brand that seems to be talked about the most lately.

When specifically talking about sticks, I think this is the case. CCM skates are still solid and well thought of. TRUE hockey sticks have been the real rage lately for the youth hockey players my son's age (15). I don't know anything about them but that is the brand that seems to be talked about the most lately.

Yea, Marner I believe has been using True for some time and they are inexpensive for the top of the line compared to Bauer (over $100 difference).

IMO kids still use the gear their favorite player wears. I was a huge Kovalev fan growing up and used Innovative (now Warrior) fiberglass shafts with Easton blades because that's what he used. Later on I still used Bauer shit because Patrick Kane did. At that point it was less about idolizing/immitation and more about fandom. With so many choices, I'm just gonna go with what's good enough for my favorite player. Even taped my stick like he did, because why not? Who cares? LOL.