• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McDavid vs Matthews: The Greatest Race of 2020-21

Phil

Yeah I guess performing in the shadow of McDavid doesn't get him as much attention as say if he were the top dog in a big market franchise. Also he had a couple 'slow' years to start his career before reaching an elite level in the last 2 seasons, unlike McDavid who literally exploded out of the gates. But I don't know about getting very little credit...dude literally won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award last season.

I meant mostly around fans, since there is the idea (understandably) that he simply racks up secondary assists and rides on McDavids wing which just isn’t exactly true. McDavid is 1 in my book but Draisaitl is 1a to me. The combo of a slower start plus McDavid really gets him mentioned so much less and he’s a very complete player to me. To me, if I had to start a team and was given the choice of Draisaitl or Matthews, I have no hesitation at all to picking Leon. None whatsoever.

I meant mostly around fans, since there is the idea (understandably) that he simply racks up secondary assists and rides on McDavids wing which just isn’t exactly true. McDavid is 1 in my book but Draisaitl is 1a to me. The combo of a slower start plus McDavid really gets him mentioned so much less and he’s a very complete player to me. To me, if I had to start a team and was given the choice of Draisaitl or Matthews, I have no hesitation at all to picking Leon. None whatsoever.

the only way to find out is to trade for him

• Like 1

The only reason I'd go with Matthews over Draisaitl is that Matthews faces the absolute best defensive unit the other team has to offer every single night. Draisaitl either plays with, or behind, another player who gets way more attention.

I'm also not very familiar with Draisaitl's defensive game, but Matthews is fantastic away from the puck, and getting the puck away from other players. NHL net did a whole package on it, even went so far as to say that if he PK'd, he'd be an easy Selke candidate.

The only reason I'd go with Matthews over Draisaitl is that Matthews faces the absolute best defensive unit the other team has to offer every single night. Draisaitl either plays with, or behind, another player who gets way more attention.

I'm also not very familiar with Draisaitl's defensive game, but Matthews is fantastic away from the puck, and getting the puck away from other players. NHL net did a whole package on it, even went so far as to say that if he PK'd, he'd be an easy Selke candidate.

It's actually a little surprising he doesn't PK while Marner leads all forwards in SH TOI/G for them this year.

Thays fair. I csn get with that. As for Draisatls off the puck sbolikity, he was a penalty killer up until last year I believe. Used to score a good amount of shorties

• 2 months later...