Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McDavid vs Matthews: The Greatest Race of 2020-21

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Draisatl? lol A fantastic player for sure but great at racking up those secondary assists and power play assists. He doesn't really strike me as that impressive even strength. Matthews scoring ability is lethal and at a whole other level.
    Well, I don’t know about that. From 18/19 to now,
    even strength

Draisaitl is second in the entire league in even strength points. Matthews is 9th. Goals Matthews is 2nd, Leon is 4th with only 9 less. Primarybassists, Leon is 7th while Matthews is like 41st.

If you look at all strengths combined

points, Leon is 2nd while Matthews is 12th. Goals Leon is 2nd, Matthews is one behind for 3rd. Primary assists, Leon is 6th, Matthews is 49th.
    http://www.naturalstattrick.com/play...&draftteam=ALL

I think Leon gets very little respect. Matthews is a better pure goal scorer but Draisaitl is a pretty complete player IMO.
    Last edited by Keirik; 02-22-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yea, if we're talking...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yup. He's an absolute force. To me, the NHL basically goes (1) McDavid, (2) Matthews, (3) everyone else, mix and match as you see fit. The first two never move. They're locked in. Like Gretzky/Lemieux.
    ...then Draisaitl is Jagr.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Yea, if we're talking...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I really like Draisaitl. 10 gwg last year, even penalty killed in the past. He really gets very little credit.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Yea, if we're talking...

Yup, that's probably right.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I really like Draisaitl. 10 gwg last year, even penalty killed in the past. He really gets very little credit.
    Yeah I guess performing in the shadow of McDavid doesn't get him as much attention as say if he were the top dog in a big market franchise. Also he had a couple 'slow' years to start his career before reaching an elite level in the last 2 seasons, unlike McDavid who literally exploded out of the gates. But I don't know about getting very little credit...dude literally won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Yeah I guess performing in the shadow of McDavid doesn't get him as much attention as say if he were the top dog in a big market franchise. Also he had a couple 'slow' years to start his career before reaching an elite level in the last 2 seasons, unlike McDavid who literally exploded out of the gates. But I don't know about getting very little credit...dude literally won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award last season.
    I meant mostly around fans, since there is the idea (understandably) that he simply racks up secondary assists and rides on McDavids wing which just isn’t exactly true. McDavid is 1 in my book but Draisaitl is 1a to me. The combo of a slower start plus McDavid really gets him mentioned so much less and he’s a very complete player to me. To me, if I had to start a team and was given the choice of Draisaitl or Matthews, I have no hesitation at all to picking Leon. None whatsoever.

Banned Junior Division
    I meant mostly around fans, since there is the idea (understandably) that he simply racks up secondary assists and rides on McDavids wing which just isn’t exactly true. McDavid is 1 in my book but Draisaitl is 1a to me. The combo of a slower start plus McDavid really gets him mentioned so much less and he’s a very complete player to me. To me, if I had to start a team and was given the choice of Draisaitl or Matthews, I have no hesitation at all to picking Leon. None whatsoever.
    the only way to find out is to trade for him

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    the only way to find out is to trade for him
    Oilers owe us for trading Bernie Nichols to them

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The only reason I'd go with Matthews over Draisaitl is that Matthews faces the absolute best defensive unit the other team has to offer every single night. Draisaitl either plays with, or behind, another player who gets way more attention.

I'm also not very familiar with Draisaitl's defensive game, but Matthews is fantastic away from the puck, and getting the puck away from other players. NHL net did a whole package on it, even went so far as to say that if he PK'd, he'd be an easy Selke candidate.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only reason I'd go with Matthews over Draisaitl is that Matthews faces the absolute best defensive unit the other team has to offer every single night. Draisaitl either plays with, or behind, another player who gets way more attention.

I'm also not very familiar with Draisaitl's defensive game, but Matthews is fantastic away from the puck, and getting the puck away from other players. NHL net did a whole package on it, even went so far as to say that if he PK'd, he'd be an easy Selke candidate.
    It's actually a little surprising he doesn't PK while Marner leads all forwards in SH TOI/G for them this year.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thays fair. I csn get with that. As for Draisatls off the puck sbolikity, he was a penalty killer up until last year I believe. Used to score a good amount of shorties

Senior Member Midget Division
    Didnt Draisaitl play on the first line last year while McDavid was out? He tore it up as far as goals and points, playing against top line competitions.
    Rebuild Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    Didnt Draisaitl play on the first line last year while McDavid was out? He tore it up as far as goals and points, playing against top line competitions.
    I'm not sure when but yeah he has.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12