• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McDavid vs Matthews: The Greatest Race of 2020-21

Phil

If you ever watch McDavid & Edmonton, you'd know why I say dont trade off assets until McDavid demands a trade in the next few seasons.

I don't think there's a single thing I wouldn't trade for him (on its own) for him.

Like, if that deal starts with Kakko, Lafreniere, Shesterkin, whatever. I don't care. The answer is yes.

I don't think there's a single thing I wouldn't trade for him (on its own) for him.

Like, if that deal starts with Kakko, Lafreniere, Shesterkin, whatever. I don't care. The answer is yes.

Nah. Cuz then you just wind up as the Oilers, now.

Nah. Cuz then you just wind up as the Oilers, now.

Not necessarily. I didn't say I'm giving them all up, I said I don't think there's a single player/piece I would balk at the deal centering around.

Let me put it this way: would I trade, say, Lafreniere, Lundkvsit, Buchnevich, and a couple firsts for him? In a heart beat.

As long as we are talking about trading for him today then yes I agree.

in 10 years not so much

Not necessarily. I didn't say I'm giving them all up, I said I don't think there's a single player/piece I would balk at the deal centering around.

Let me put it this way: would I trade, say, Lafreniere, Lundkvsit, Buchnevich, and a couple firsts for him? In a heart beat.

Agree.

Matthews is like a 200 foot Brett Hull, that plays Center. He's closer to McDavid than some would care to admit.

Yup. He's an absolute force. To me, the NHL basically goes (1) McDavid, (2) Matthews, (3) everyone else, mix and match as you see fit. The first two never move. They're locked in. Like Gretzky/Lemieux.

McDavid hands down. Hell I'd take Draisatl over Matthews too

Draisatl? lol A fantastic player for sure but great at racking up those secondary assists and power play assists. He doesn't really strike me as that impressive even strength. Matthews scoring ability is lethal and at a whole other level.

Draisatl? lol A fantastic player for sure but great at racking up those secondary assists and power play assists. He doesn't really strike me as that impressive even strength. Matthews scoring ability is lethal and at a whole other level.
Last year Draisaitl 29 secondary assists out of 67. McDavid 25 secondary assists out of 63. Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer. Draisaitl also won a playoff series.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well, I don’t know about that. From 18/19 to now,

even strength

Draisaitl is second in the entire league in even strength points. Matthews is 9th. Goals Matthews is 2nd, Leon is 4th with only 9 less. Primarybassists, Leon is 7th while Matthews is like 41st.

If you look at all strengths combined

points, Leon is 2nd while Matthews is 12th. Goals Leon is 2nd, Matthews is one behind for 3rd. Primary assists, Leon is 6th, Matthews is 49th.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

I think Leon gets very little respect. Matthews is a better pure goal scorer but Draisaitl is a pretty complete player IMO.

Yea, if we're talking...

Yup. He's an absolute force. To me, the NHL basically goes (1) McDavid, (2) Matthews, (3) everyone else, mix and match as you see fit. The first two never move. They're locked in. Like Gretzky/Lemieux.

...then Draisaitl is Jagr.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I really like Draisaitl. 10 gwg last year, even penalty killed in the past. He really gets very little credit.

Yeah I guess performing in the shadow of McDavid doesn't get him as much attention as say if he were the top dog in a big market franchise. Also he had a couple 'slow' years to start his career before reaching an elite level in the last 2 seasons, unlike McDavid who literally exploded out of the gates. But I don't know about getting very little credit...dude literally won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award last season.