• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin Taking Leave of Absence Amid 2011 Abuse Allegations; Political Hit Job?

Morphinity 2.0

I just put myself in his shoes, and going back to Russia would be the last thing I would do if I thought it was retaliation for a public comment I made in opposition of Putin.

Well, that's you. He was worried about his family and I don't blame him.

That said, we don't know if he's even in Russia.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's you. He was worried about his family and I don't blame him.

That said, we don't know if he's even in Russia.

I also wouldn't be talking shit against Putin if I had family over there that could be put at risk as a result. Panarin might be good at hockey, but maybe he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

There wasn't this level of detail around the claim and who it was coming from. Put yourself in Panarin's shoes, I'm guessing he got on a flight to Russia right away thinking the State might have played a role.

I know that's what I would do.

I hear ya.. Listening to the interview he said back right before he signed with us, he joked that he didnt care what the govt thinks. If he were worried about retribution with family, I think he would have made sure anyone close to him wasnt in a position of harm first before he made that interview. He's not exactly naive to what goes on there. Besides, again, this came from a former NHL player, not Putin. I get the connection totally though so it is what it is. As much though as we hate some things in our country, it really makes you appreciate some of the things we dont have to worry about here.

I hear ya.. Listening to the interview he said back right before he signed with us, he joked that he didnt care what the govt thinks. If he were worried about retribution with family, I think he would have made sure anyone close to him wasnt in a position of harm first before he made that interview. He's not exactly naive to what goes on there. Besides, again, this came from a former NHL player, not Putin. I get the connection totally though so it is what it is. As much though as we hate some things in our country, it really makes you appreciate some of the things we dont have to worry about here.

Right, my only point was at the time he took leave, we didn't know that so I'm sure there was more of a fearful reaction.

I also wouldn't be talking shit against Putin if I had family over there that could be put at risk as a result. Panarin might be good at hockey, but maybe he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

smiles too much. could be an idiot

and there's a story that his teammates left him in a restaurant with the bill and he didnt have enough money to pay.

but Putin wouldnt do it himself, he'd do it thru his cronies like Nazarov

It was either during the broadcast last night or McKenzie or even Weeks prior to the game on the NHL channel that mentioned Panarin was at his home in CT. That would make sense, he bought a home in Greenwich with his GF when he first signed here.

It was either during the broadcast last night or McKenzie or even Weeks prior to the game on the NHL channel that mentioned Panarin was at his home in CT. That would make sense, he bought a home in Greenwich with his GF when he first signed here.

Hope so.

hello, is this thing on?

Kinda strange to me the longer this goes on the less I understand it. Sure in the beginning it made total sense to step away to sort things out, but it seems to been debunked swiftly by many sides yet there's no talk of his return (that I've seen anyway). I'm starting to not understand why it's dragging on.

I dont know the Criminal law system over there, but maybe he is getting railroaded and possibly charged with something and questions of extradition and such have come up. Who knows?!? I am blissfully ignorant of the Russian CJ system.

The last update was that he's day-to-day. Now what does day-to-day mean when dealing with personal 'business' such as this? A couple more days of crap to sort out or he's waiting on something which is expected any day, who knows. All I hope is that when he does eventually return to the lineup, it'll be the last of this saga...

Very long with not much to go on. Very weird.

If the Rangers and the NHL are treating this as a politically motivated hit piece, I'd imagine they're looking to say as little as possible - possibly even for Panarin's/his family's safety. I don't think it's weird, but it's definitely disconcerting.

As for being moved to non-roster; I'm sure it's a paper transaction with a cap implication.

If the Rangers and the NHL are treating this as a politically motivated hit piece, I'd imagine they're looking to say as little as possible - possibly even for Panarin's/his family's safety. I don't think it's weird, but it's definitely disconcerting.

Normally, i would agree because I think we all know what Russia is capable of even with the spotlight on but the longer this goes silent, the worse it seems for Artemi. The initial reports were that this was all a bunch of nonsense. I still think that's the case. There hasn't been one bit of evidence to suggest otherwise. However, I'd think a slightly more public approach would behoove Artemi a bit more here. It might even have gotten our government involved especially if he claimed asylum for himself and his family.

I wonder if it's a bit more of a case where his family isn't as supportive of his position in the first place so it's making things a lot more difficult to just get his family up and out of that situation.

Normally, i would agree because I think we all know what Russia is capable of even with the spotlight on but the longer this goes silent, the worse it seems for Artemi. The initial reports were that this was all a bunch of nonsense. I still think that's the case. There hasn't been one bit of evidence to suggest otherwise. However, I'd think a slightly more public approach would behoove Artemi a bit more here. It might even have gotten our government involved especially if he claimed asylum for himself and his family.

I wonder if it's a bit more of a case where his family isn't as supportive of his position in the first place so it's making things a lot more difficult to just get his family up and out of that situation.

I can't even imagine what goes into clearing up all of this. He's probably needed a team of lawyers - Latvian, Russian, American criminal and nationalization law experts, immigration and asylum experts if he feels there is a threat to his family, potentially to him, probably accountants and business experts, and god knows what else.

This is probably a much more complicated thing than we're giving it credit for at face value. His silence isn't worrisome just yet. I'd say if he's not allowed the team to update his status by next week or so, then it might be a bit scary.

I'm just confused by the day-to-day status. What's that even mean? Do they really have no idea at all when he's coming back? Is he just going to show up at the rink one day?

IMO they don't know when he's coming back so they're not putting a timeline on it. Artemi could be out for the season if he's trying to uproot his family and move them to the US. He could be back tomorrow if he's not. Rangers clearly don't want to give out any info on his whereabouts and it seems like personal safety is the reason.

The Post has confirmed that Panarin has been moved to non-roster status.

4. There is no update or ETA regarding Panarin, who continues to tend to issues that have arisen in conjunction with the uncorroborated and discredited assault allegations levied against him in Russia more than two weeks ago.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/08/rangers-need-to-test-igor-shesterkins-limits-after-injury/