Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Panarin Taking Leave of Absence Amid 2011 Abuse Allegations; Political Hit Job?

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    I quoted a Panarin interview and only discussed Panarin.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Anyone have a link to what was said today on wean or paraphrase?

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I mentioned what they said about Panarin but it was deleted to ensure no one thought it might have been about DeAngelo.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Wean?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Wean?
    wfan. sorry, autocorrect to something weenie like

Let's Get Saucy BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I mentioned what they said about Panarin but it was deleted to ensure no one thought it might have been about DeAngelo.
    How exactly did your post address any of this? If it did, it would’ve stayed up.

wfan. sorry, autocorrect to something weenie like
    Ah, gotcha. I haven't seen anything yet — I'm sure someone will have some quotes up soon.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Here's a segment WFAN posted themselves, though this is from 16h ago:

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/22/ranger...-speaking-out/

This seems a little bit of a good thing:

A well-positioned source with knowledge of the political dynamic in Russia told The Post that this spurious attack against the 29-year-old native of Korkino was not a direct retaliatory governmental measure against Panarin but rather Nazarov going rogue.
    It is believed Nazarov, who has been extremely critical of Panarin’s opposition to Putin, was attempting to curry favor with the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and its First Vice President, Roman Rotenberg, whose family has close ties to Putin.
    Remember this, too: At the time of the alleged assault, Panarin was regarded as a run of the mill 20-year-old who had been passed over entirely by the NHL during two draft years. He was certainly not a high-profile athlete. As such, there’d have been little reason to engage in bribery and engineer a cover-up.
    If Panarin was an innocent before, and he is far too intelligent and perceptive to be labeled na?ve, then he certainly is not now. The prospect of retaliation and retribution through different means has always existed, even if this attack against him appears to have been launched by a private citizen with an agenda and not through a coordinated effort directed by the Kremlin.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/22/ranger...-speaking-out/

This seems a little bit of a good thing:
    This would be a sigh of relief in a way. If it's someone going rogue, and not a coordinated attack that's a good thing.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Boomer's take.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    Wait,where the Hell have I been, this is the same Nazarov that played with the sharks way back in the day??I remember that thug

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    Wait,where the Hell have I been, this is the same Nazarov that played with the sharks way back in the day??I remember that thug
    Yep. Same dude. Was apparently 6'5 245 in his heyday.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, I was actually a fan when he played for the Flames. He was a mean SOB.

Junior Member Mite Division Art20c's Avatar
    Actually this smear campaign was initiated here in usa. On feb 16th, 4 days prior that interview with Nazarov, Caleb T. Maupin published an article about this alleged incident. Caleb, originally from ohio, is living in New York now and working for Russia Today which is Russian State backed international anti western propaganda outlet, masquerading itself as independent news media.
    https://www.greanvillepost.com/2021/...-ugly-history/

1. The Artemi Panarin situation is incredibly challenging for the player, the Rangers and the league. It’s a serious accusation from former NHLer Andrei Nazarov, but his word alone is not going to convince anyone. The Rangers unconditionally backed Panarin. There is, as this is written, no police report, and if one does show up it will be heavily scrutinized.

There’s no feel for how long Panarin might be away, and no desire to pressure him for an answer. His Instagram support for Vladimir Putin rival Alexei Navalny makes him a political target. And undoubtedly, he must be worried about family back in Russia, too. This is bigger than hockey, and the Rangers will be sensitive to that.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ft-take-place/
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    If I'm Panarin and the allegations are completely false I would just keep playing.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    If I'm Panarin and the allegations are completely false I would just keep playing.
    Unless you're concerned about your family in Russia...

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Unless you're concerned about your family in Russia...
    I'd imagine the leave of absence is because these are pretty serious allegations. It's pretty difficult to focus on hockey with that sort of thing hanging over you.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that his family is in any sort of grave danger because of his comments. Sure, Russia under Putin is a pure dictatorship and going against the government can be dangerous, but it's not common place for the government to liquidate the grandma's and mothers of outspoken people.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I'd imagine the leave of absence is because these are pretty serious allegations. It's pretty difficult to focus on hockey with that sort of thing hanging over you.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that his family is in any sort of grave danger because of his comments. Sure, Russia under Putin is a pure dictatorship and going against the government can be dangerous, but it's not common place for the government to liquidate the grandma's and mothers of outspoken people.
    At the time he took his LoA we knew much less about what was going on and where the allegations were coming from.

Regardless I don't see taking an LoA as any kind of admission of guilt.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast