• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin Taking Leave of Absence Amid 2011 Abuse Allegations; Political Hit Job?

Morphinity 2.0

1. The Artemi Panarin situation is incredibly challenging for the player, the Rangers and the league. It’s a serious accusation from former NHLer Andrei Nazarov, but his word alone is not going to convince anyone. The Rangers unconditionally backed Panarin. There is, as this is written, no police report, and if one does show up it will be heavily scrutinized.

There’s no feel for how long Panarin might be away, and no desire to pressure him for an answer. His Instagram support for Vladimir Putin rival Alexei Navalny makes him a political target. And undoubtedly, he must be worried about family back in Russia, too. This is bigger than hockey, and the Rangers will be sensitive to that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-will-2021-nhl-entry-draft-take-place/

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're concerned about your family in Russia...

I'd imagine the leave of absence is because these are pretty serious allegations. It's pretty difficult to focus on hockey with that sort of thing hanging over you.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that his family is in any sort of grave danger because of his comments. Sure, Russia under Putin is a pure dictatorship and going against the government can be dangerous, but it's not common place for the government to liquidate the grandma's and mothers of outspoken people.

I'd imagine the leave of absence is because these are pretty serious allegations. It's pretty difficult to focus on hockey with that sort of thing hanging over you.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that his family is in any sort of grave danger because of his comments. Sure, Russia under Putin is a pure dictatorship and going against the government can be dangerous, but it's not common place for the government to liquidate the grandma's and mothers of outspoken people.

At the time he took his LoA we knew much less about what was going on and where the allegations were coming from.

Regardless I don't see taking an LoA as any kind of admission of guilt.

At the time he took his LoA we knew much less about what was going on and where the allegations were coming from.

Regardless I don't see taking an LoA as any kind of admission of guilt.

Neither do I. I just think we can pump the brakes a bit on the idea of his family being in immediate danger based on what he's said. What he's said and done to criticize the regime is commendable, but it's also pretty low level in the greater scheme of things.

Neither do I. I just think we can pump the brakes a bit on the idea of his family being in immediate danger based on what he's said. What he's said and done to criticize the regime is commendable, but it's also pretty low level in the greater scheme of things.
Agree, and easier to say that now that we have evidence it's Nazarov acting on his own.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/22/...ng-the-price-for-speaking-out/

I think the most important thing is this article is that Larry states that this didn't come from Putin. It was the ex-coach going rogue in an effort to suck the balls of Putin and the Russian hockey federation. If that's the case hopefully there's no real threat to Artemi or his family and this blows over way sooner than if Putin was directly or even indirectly involved.

I could see the FSB wanting to put a shot across Panarin's bow and quietly suggesting to Nazarin that it would please Putin. Non-traceable, no muss, no fuss. Complete deniability.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just seems weird to be politically motivated considering his interview criticizing Putin was in 2019, no? I don’t believe the allegations at all but the timeline seems way off with what Artemi said.

He was messaging support for Navalny in January, I believe.

More. Apparently, Panarin may have been hazed. Talks about times players left Panarin with the bill.

https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1094264615-roman-lyuduchin-nazarov-nagovarivaet-na-panarina-vozmozhno-eto-mest-za.html

Love google translate!

Obviously, Nazarov is slandering Panarin. Perhaps this is revenge on Artem for his political position from Nazarov, the amount of cotton wool in his head in recent years has exceeded all limits.

By the way, in the hockey party, the fact is known that in Vityaz Panarin was Nazarov's favorite, and later, when Nazarov became the coach of Severstal, he really wanted to see Panarin in his new team, but he refused the former coach, after which their relationship deteriorated and Nazarov did not miss a reason to prick his former favorite.

Sam and Joe were mentioning that he'll have to go on quarantine protocol before he can join the team and play, so everyone's assuming he went back to Russia

I believe they were referring to the protocol of them being tested everyday as a part of the NHL protocol every team goes through now as a team. Stepping away to CT removes him from that, they were dancing around how he would be allowed back into that routine.

I believe they were referring to the protocol of them being tested everyday as a part of the NHL protocol every team goes through now as a team. Stepping away to CT removes him from that, they were dancing around how he would be allowed back into that routine.

could be. i was under the impression he went back to russia

everything that im reading about it in russian is pointing to Nazarov going after Panarin. Most calling Nazarov empty-headed idiot who is also vicious.

personally im not sure why Panarin took time off and why he would fly back to russia?

That's what I'm not understanding about the whole thing. From everything, its pretty clear that some idiot made a false claim. Everyone publicly has backed Panarin saying its false on both continents, and i don't think there is much evidence he actually went back to Russia at all. The whole thing is very confusing. If Panarin didnt take time off, i think it would have blown over even faster for being such a ridiculous claim.

That's what I'm not understanding about the whole thing. From everything, its pretty clear that some idiot made a false claim. Everyone publicly has backed Panarin saying its false on both continents, and i don't think there is much evidence he actually went back to Russia at all. The whole thing is very confusing. If Panarin didnt take time off, i think it would have blown over even faster for being such a ridiculous claim.

There wasn't this level of detail around the claim and who it was coming from. Put yourself in Panarin's shoes, I'm guessing he got on a flight to Russia right away thinking the State might have played a role.

I know that's what I would do.

There wasn't this level of detail around the claim and who it was coming from. Put yourself in Panarin's shoes, I'm guessing he got on a flight to Russia right away thinking the State might have played a role.

I know that's what I would do.

I just put myself in his shoes, and going back to Russia would be the last thing I would do if I thought it was retaliation for a public comment I made in opposition of Putin.