• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL, ESPN Reach Seven-Year U.S. Broadcast Deal

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Does that mean the CAP can go up so we can spend more?

Not necessarily. The league was always going to strike a new deal. If it's lucrative enough, its possible you'll see a rise again soon, but not for next season.

Inject Gary Thorne into my veins.

As awesome as that would be, he hasn't done hockey consistently on TV since 2004....and hasn't called a hockey game since 2016-17.....His time as a hockey announcer might be over, maybe they'll bring him back for their first broadcast for nostalgia, and maybe sprinkle him in once in a while.

Obvious choice could be Bucci, since he usually calls the frozen four for ESPN. But would he step away from the sportscenter desk? IMO they'll go with someone new that will be on their knees for ESPN.

As awesome as that would be, he hasn't done hockey consistently on TV since 2004....and hasn't called a hockey game since 2016-17.....His time as a hockey announcer might be over, maybe they'll bring him back for their first broadcast for nostalgia, and maybe sprinkle him in once in a while.

Obvious choice could be Bucci, since he usually calls the frozen four for ESPN. But would he step away from the sportscenter desk? IMO they'll go with someone new that will be on their knees for ESPN.

I think you see Bucci and Steve Levy. They do the Frozen Four games when they're on ESPN. I'm sure Linda Cohn will also be involved in some way.

I'm just dreading Barry Melrose.

The NHL back on ESPN might be enough to get Buchigross back on the desk, I hope. Now that Milbury was let go by NBC, I really hope ESPN doesn't bring him aboard. I'd rather have Melrose, I think. LOL For play-by-play I wouldn't mind Levy, since I always thought he was very good too.

The NHL back on ESPN might be enough to get Buchigross back on the desk, I hope. Now that Milbury was let go by NBC, I really hope ESPN doesn't bring him aboard. I'd rather have Melrose, I think. LOL For play-by-play I wouldn't mind Levy, since I always thought he was very good too.

how about JR? i'd bring him in