• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL May Turn to New Platforms for Big TV Money

Phil

Currently, the NHL receives $200 million per year in its 10-year, $2 billion deal from NBC, which ends at the conclusion of this season.

With the pandemic hurting NHL revenues, the league is expected to seek an increase in revenues, starting with its national TV deals. For a substantial bump, the deal will likely need to carve out some exclusive game content for one of the new subscription direct-to-consumer platforms, such as ESPN+ or Peacock. There is an expectation that the next NHL TV deal will be split between two networks with a streaming component likely, according to media executives and agents, who were surveyed for this column.

But how much regular-season and potentially postseason inventory will ends up on the emerging direct-to-consumer subscription platforms? An NHL spokesman did not return an email seeking comment.

Disney (owner of ESPN) and Comcast (owner of NBC) want to invest further in their emerging direct-to-consumer services (ESPN+ and Peacock) as their emphasis on cable slowly decreases and they hope their new businesses expand. While perhaps the favorites, they are not alone in the bidding.

Fox has joined NBC and ESPN as a potential landing spot. ViacomCBS could kick the tires on it for its Paramount Plus streaming service, but it is a less likely destination.

The Stanley Cup Final seemed destined to continue on network TV (NBC, Fox or ABC), but the NHL will have to decide if the price is right to help grow ESPN+ or Peacock. That is likely where the league will find the most money.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/17/nhls-hunt-for-tv-money-may-venture-into-new-platforms/

My only fear is having 3 different subscriptions just to watch the rangers. I’ll never understand why you can’t just pay for MSG streaming so I can get rid of cable completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's currently my dilemma with watching Manchester United in tjr English League. Nbcsn for some of their elwgue games, Peacock for the rest of their league games, and ESPN+ if I want to watch their Fa cup games. Gets out of hand.

That's currently my dilemma with watching Manchester United in tjr English League. Nbcsn for some of their elwgue games, Peacock for the rest of their league games, and ESPN+ if I want to watch their Fa cup games. Gets out of hand.

Yepp.

Already pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Apple. If I have to add disney + peacock + whatever else I might as well keep the cable.

At the very least dont black out local game when you pay for the NHL app (which is garbage too might I add- will never understand why you cant watch other content on NHL network even if you pay for the yearly game subscription).

Yepp.

Already pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Apple. If I have to add disney + peacock + whatever else I might as well keep the cable.

At the very least dont black out local game when you pay for the NHL app (which is garbage too might I add- will never understand why you cant watch other content on NHL network even if you pay for the yearly game subscription).

Yup. I'm currently subscribed to

Netflix

Peacock

Espn+

NHL package

Cable which is 200 a month for TV and internet

Amazon

Spotify Premium

Sirius

Now I get that's combining music and TV stuff together but at some point enough is enough. Thank God I don't care about basketball and enjoy baseball on the radio still

Yup. I'm currently subscribed to

Netflix

Peacock

Espn+

NHL package

Cable which is 200 a month for TV and internet

Amazon

Spotify Premium

Sirius

Now I get that's combining music and TV stuff together but at some point enough is enough. Thank God I don't care about basketball and enjoy baseball on the radio still

Forgot about Amazon haha

And I hear you.. thankfully hockeys the only sport i care about enough to watch religiously.

At the very least don't black out local game when you pay for the NHL app

Hate this part of it 100%!! The 'excuse' I've read is that for MSG, they would rather sell seats. Welp, with many games near or at sell-out capacity, WTF? I live 65 miles north of Manhattan and go to my fair share of games but to block me from watching on the app is heinous. Fortunately, I'm home for nearly all games now so viewing is not a problem, but in a normal work year...geez.

ALSO - I would pay EXTRA to hear a bench or on-ice feed for sound. Skip the traditional broadcast and just let me hear all of the trash-talk and over-the-top commentary. That would be worth the subscription.

Hate this part of it 100%!! The 'excuse' I've read is that for MSG, they would rather sell seats. Welp, with many games near or at sell-out capacity, WTF? I live 65 miles north of Manhattan and go to my fair share of games but to block me from watching on the app is heinous. Fortunately, I'm home for nearly all games now so viewing is not a problem, but in a normal work year...geez.

ALSO - I would pay EXTRA to hear a bench or on-ice feed for sound. Skip the traditional broadcast and just let me hear all of the trash-talk and over-the-top commentary. That would be worth the subscription.

I had this idea a while ago, like a HBO version of the feed or something haha

It would never happen though. One bad comment and hockey would get #cancelled

Yeah, the Premier League US streaming situation is just confusing and excessive.

its great when you and friends can all band together to watch different streaming services

for soccer I shared my ESPN+, a friend gave me CBS Sports, another friend comes in with the clutch Peacock when needed.

Hopefully this isn't a thing with NHL. Soccer is still kind of Niche in the U.S. so I get why having some games on a premium streaming service makes sense but if you want to be one of the big major sports in America, it's kind of a joke that you wouldn't make it as widely available as possible, instead of forcing people to pay extra to watch. All that says to me is they aren't interested in growing the game

NHL needs the Elementary School Drug Dealer Approach. Everything is free for 1 year, then you pay.

With ads going on wieners next season, sponsorship wont fall short, making up for 1 year of TV revenue. The following season, they'll have better TV deals and a bigger following.

Or, we can use the approach the NHL has taken the last 2 decades and institute more random rules, blackout local games and put NHL games on obscure TV stations.

My only fear is having 3 different subscriptions just to watch the rangers. I’ll never understand why you can’t just pay for MSG streaming so I can get rid of cable completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I have this problem with streaming on MSG Go. You can stream it on your phone, computer, or tablet but it doesn't have an actual TV app nor can you cast it to your TV. Somehow it knows the difference, I am sure its all in the coding, which I know nothing about, but I can confirm that it won't cast to the TV in the same fashion I can cast YouTube to my TV from my phone. The way I get around it is by streaming on my computer but then hooking it up to the TV via HDMI. It becomes an extension of the computer screen. It is far from perfect but it works. Mostly. The Sound is fine but the picture can be pretty choppy sometimes. It would be so much easier if they just developed a damn MSG Go TV streaming app version for the Fire Stick, AppleTV, Roku, etc. Pure speculation on my part but I think it is a conflict of interest for MSG and that is why they refuse to do it. MSG is owned by Dolan, Dolan owns Optimum. You need a provider account in order to log into MSG Go, such as Optimum, Altice1, etc. If they offer a TV based app then it could encourage people to not keep as many cable boxes in their homes. They charge extra for individual cable boxes. If they made the streaming easier they would be cutting their own profits.