Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

Senior Member Midget Division
    For all of the talk about having Messier, Drury, Boyle or blast-from-the-past Moore or McTavish help with our FO proficiency, has any one of us ever read about that happening? The eye-test certainly would seem to confirm that it has not. This ailment has been symptom of our poor string of results for quite a while and this year is no different. Why do we seem to be stuck in this rut?

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Blackwell is the best face-off guy on our team and he doesn't even take draws. Morgan Barron was and exceptional face-off guy as a prospect and he has begun his Hartford career playing exclusively LW. Makes a lot of sense.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    I'd hire Doug Jarvis if anyone as a faceoff coach!! Best faceoff man I've ever seen!! That guy could win a draw against Satan!! LOL

Cannot agree with Trouba!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I think the Rangers have a strong foundation. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Zib, Panarin, Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Shesterkin.

They've got a ton of pieces in the pipeline, especially on defense. Nils Lundkvist is a beast and should make the team next season.

What they need now are established players to fill in around the youngest roster in the league. They need to decide if Zibanejad is their #1 center and where Strome fits in long term - which I don't think he does. Personally, I'd love to see them make a splash at center and fill in the bottom 6 with workman-like players who have been around the block. Not fringe players, but bonefide 3rd and 4th liners. I'd like to see them take the approach the Leafs took. They need veteran leadership.

IMO, they're in a good spot. They can trade their 1st and some pieces for a center if they want. Then make moves in free agency - not to bring in stars, but to fill out the bottom 6. Any big contract they bring in should be via trade, not free agency.
    Rebuild Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Blackwell is the best face-off guy on our team and he doesn't even take draws. Morgan Barron was and exceptional face-off guy as a prospect and he has begun his Hartford career playing exclusively LW. Makes a lot of sense.
    You don't necessarily have to play C to take draws. I've seen it before where the wing will take a draw and then go back to his regular assignments after the draw is taken.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    put it simple as possible: OILERS 2.0

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    put it simple as possible: OILERS 2.0
    Yeah, I sense some of that. Rebuilds guarantee as much perpetual failure as they do success. Success isn't just the names in the sweaters.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    This team is ass. Ask the whole OP again, Mike.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This team is ass. Ask the whole OP again, Mike.
    Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 13 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 6 pick?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Junior Division
    The season is effectively over. I doubt I would trade a top 5 pick away, since we do not appear to be anywhere close to contention, but it really depends. You'd have to bank on a new coach making a large enough difference to catapult this team from being a trash can to being competitive with a big move. If not, you need to keep the pick and try to unload the older, higher priced players (not Panarin) if they can.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I hope we get the 1st pick again if only to piss people off 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If we can only get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    I hope we get the 1st pick again if only to piss people off ��

Rebuild Mode.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    It’s not good thus far... we are at the 1/4 pole and they’re earning less than a point per game in the standings in a VERY GOOD and competitive division.
    They’ve been extremely inconsistent, results have been, on a scale of 1-9, a 3 or 4 at best.
    The injuries they’ve run into haven’t helped either as they are a young team and the overall depth organizationally is shallow. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Trouba, his minutes at the least will be missed.

If it continues this way, come TDL, you do the obvious and logical thing and move pieces for youth/futures type assets in return, unless there’s a “too good to pass up” hockey trade out there.
    Also, if it stays this way, they’ll probably end up with a top-10 pick again.
    I’d lean towards moving that pick at this juncture as it doesn’t look to be the greatest of draft classes and they probably end up with a better player in return. Unless there’s a player available to them in the draft that’s too good to pass up that they’re totally in love with, you move the pick.

Though I do think, despite this poor first quarter of the season, they’ll eventually figure it out, provided everyone gets and stays healthy, and hit a stretch wherein they play very well.

But ultimately I think they wind up where they were basically projected to... as a bubble team.
    They make it in as a low seed and get bounced early, or they miss the playoffs by a small sum of points.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    I hope we get the 1st pick again if only to piss people off ��

Piss off who Nashty, most of us here, when the guy pick # 1 lays an egg next season?

Last edited by jsrangers; 02-17-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    The draft this year isn't overly deep, right? Say if they pick top five or top ten, I'm sure a pretty good center would be available somewhere.

Not to rain on your parade and I’m beating a dead horse one more time, but “ time to turn things around”??? How so? We have a coach who’s maximized his NHL coaching skills and he is what he is, a 500 coach. So there’s that. We keep him and the season is already over and if we fire him it’s over because who’s out there who’s willing to step in and has the coaching skills to “turn things around”? I hope you’re a fan of baseball because our NHL season is done. Seen this story too many times in my 45 years of being a fan of all sports
    The figure stands expressionless
    Impassive and alone
    Unmoved by this victory
    And the seeds of death he's sown
    Sworn to avenge
    Condemn to Hell
    Tempt not the blade
    All fear the Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    It’s not good thus far... we are at the 1/4 pole and they’re earning less than a point per game in the standings in a VERY GOOD and competitive division.
    They’ve been extremely inconsistent, results have been, on a scale of 1-9, a 3 or 4 at best.
    The injuries they’ve run into haven’t helped either as they are a young team and the overall depth organizationally is shallow. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Trouba, his minutes at the least will be missed.

If it continues this way, come TDL, you do the obvious and logical thing and move pieces for youth/futures type assets in return, unless there’s a “too good to pass up” hockey trade out there.
    Also, if it stays this way, they’ll probably end up with a top-10 pick again.
    I’d lean towards moving that pick at this juncture as it doesn’t look to be the greatest of draft classes and they probably end up with a better player in return. Unless there’s a player available to them in the draft that’s too good to pass up that they’re totally in love with, you move the pick.

Though I do think, despite this poor first quarter of the season, they’ll eventually figure it out, provided everyone gets and stays healthy, and hit a stretch wherein they play very well.

But ultimately I think they wind up where they were basically projected to... as a bubble team.
    They make it in as a low seed and get bounced early, or they miss the playoffs by a small sum of points.
    Wrong, I don’t mind trading a piece or two but to just start gutting this team for the future would be completely stupid. We have talent, we don’t have a coach. We’re not as far off as you think
    The figure stands expressionless
    Impassive and alone
    Unmoved by this victory
    And the seeds of death he's sown
    Sworn to avenge
    Condemn to Hell
    Tempt not the blade
    All fear the Sentinel

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by EZRider View Post
    Wrong, I don’t mind trading a piece or two but to just start gutting this team for the future would be completely stupid. We have talent, we don’t have a coach. We’re not as far off as you think
    Where did he say to gut the team?

How does replacing the coach change how bad Z, Kreider and Trouba have been? Hard to win missing 2/3 of your top line and 1/2 your first pair.

This season looks like a wash. Moving players in the last year of their deals, especially a Buch type, makes tons of sense.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Piss off who Nashty, most of us here, when the guy pick # 1 lays an egg next season?

I did say everyone lol

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Where did he say to gut the team?

How does replacing the coach change how bad Z, Kreider and Trouba have been? Hard to win missing 2/3 of your top line and 1/2 your first pair.

This season looks like a wash. Moving players in the last year of their deals, especially a Buch type, makes tons of sense.
    As good a player as Buch is, it's hard to argue that we're so strong on the wings that he's both in the "don't re-sign long term" range and the "could be a top TDL acquisition" space.

With Laf in tow, sure, I'd much rather have given Buch 5.25 than Kreider 6.5 - but that's revisionist history.

We keep this up and I'm around here:

I'm selling off Smith, Johnson, and PDG. Expiring contracts, UFA, just get the assets. We can get rid of all three with little issue - Bitetto and Hajek have been fine, and Kravtsov basically steps in PDG's spot by the TDL anyway (after Traktor gets knocked out and he completes his quarantine)
    I'm fielding offers for Buch, Howden, ADA (assuming he's still here), and Kreider.
    I'm actively listening on Trouba, in part because of the complexity of dealing that much cap makes it real hard to move on without a desperation throw. I doubt the TDL's the spot, but this is where you can lay groundwork for the bigger deal later on.
    I'm quietly listening on Zibanejad.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast