Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    As good a player as Buch is, it's hard to argue that we're so strong on the wings that he's both in the "don't re-sign long term" range and the "could be a top TDL acquisition" space.

With Laf in tow, sure, I'd much rather have given Buch 5.25 than Kreider 6.5 - but that's revisionist history.

We keep this up and I'm around here:

I'm selling off Smith, Johnson, and PDG. Expiring contracts, UFA, just get the assets. We can get rid of all three with little issue - Bitetto and Hajek have been fine, and Kravtsov basically steps in PDG's spot by the TDL anyway (after Traktor gets knocked out and he completes his quarantine)
    I'm fielding offers for Buch, Howden, ADA (assuming he's still here), and Kreider.
    I'm actively listening on Trouba, in part because of the complexity of dealing that much cap makes it real hard to move on without a desperation throw. I doubt the TDL's the spot, but this is where you can lay groundwork for the bigger deal later on.
    I'm quietly listening on Zibanejad.
    Only pushes I have are you're selling low on Zib and I don't see Kreider waiving his NMC one season into his deal.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    As good a player as Buch is, it's hard to argue that we're so strong on the wings that he's both in the "don't re-sign long term" range and the "could be a top TDL acquisition" space.

With Laf in tow, sure, I'd much rather have given Buch 5.25 than Kreider 6.5 - but that's revisionist history.

I'm selling off Smith, Johnson, and PDG. Expiring contracts, UFA, just get the assets. We can get rid of all three with little issue - Bitetto and Hajek have been fine, and Kravtsov basically steps in PDG's spot by the TDL anyway (after Traktor gets knocked out and he completes his quarantine)
    I'm fielding offers for Buch, Howden, ADA (assuming he's still here), and Kreider.
    I'm actively listening on Trouba, in part because of the complexity of dealing that much cap makes it real hard to move on without a desperation throw. I doubt the TDL's the spot, but this is where you can lay groundwork for the bigger deal later on.
    Interesting.
    A yard sale with only Panarin, Kakko, Laf, and Chytil not for sale up front? Two and a half of those 4 having done nothing at this level yet. Along with some plugs on the 4th line that weren't mentioned because they aren't worth of a mention. Essentially willing to blow it up and start from scratch up front. Can't say I totally disagree. But at the same time that rebuild letter may need to be refreshed and sent out again because we would still be years away. I think we would be hard pressed to find takers for the Trouba and Kreider contracts which I think will haunt us for years to come.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 02-18-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Interesting.
    A yard sale with only Panarin, Kakko, Laf, and Chytil not for sale up front? Two and a half of those 4 having done nothing at this level yet. Along with some plugs on the 4th line that weren't mentioned because they aren't worth of a mention. Essentially willing to blow it up and start from scratch up front. Can't say I totally disagree. But at the same time that rebuild letter may need to be refreshed and sent out again because we would still be years away. I think we would be hard pressed to find takers for the Trouba and Kreider contracts which I think will haunt us for years to come.
    Its not really a yard sale put front.

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
    Laf - Zib - Kravtsov

That's basically your top 6 next year regardless. The main question is if Zib can ever shake out of his funk.

Your third line can be Kreider - Strome - Gauthier, depending on whose still around.

Any combo of PDG, Rooney, Blackwell, Howden, Lemiuex is fine for the 4th line.

If Zib and/or our high first get moved it would be for a young center that would slide right into the top 6.

So long story short moving Krieder, Strome, and/or Buch isn't blowing it up. It's going to happen no matter what.

Senior Member Junior Division

Who's going to want Johnson? Smith I could see. He seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. A team would probably want him 3rd pair/depth.

Kreider/Trouba sure, but 99% sure they wouldn't waive.

At the trade deadling, Zibanejad seems like a high risk, low reward proposition to trade. High risk because he is good enough to rebound and still be a 1/2 C for us. Low reward because we'd be selling low and likely to a contender where futures (some combo of an A prospect, B prospect, 1st, etc.) would be the return. I doubt we'd get any immediate impact pieces back. The offseason might make more sense there if push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Who's going to want Johnson? Smith I could see. He seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. A team would probably want him 3rd pair/depth.

Kreider/Trouba sure, but 99% sure they wouldn't waive.

At the trade deadling, Zibanejad seems like a high risk, low reward proposition to trade. High risk because he is good enough to rebound and still be a 1/2 C for us. Low reward because we'd be selling low and likely to a contender where futures (some combo of an A prospect, B prospect, 1st, etc.) would be the return. I doubt we'd get any immediate impact pieces back. The offseason might make more sense there if push comes to shove.
    Yea Zib is for sure not a TDL move. If they think last year was an anomaly that's a trade for the summer.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Johnson's a UFA. If someone gives you a 7th for him, whatever.

I left Strome off my list, but you all probably just made the jump anyway that he's on the block too.

As for Kreider/Trouba- This is a weird season. I think there are going to be teams faced with truly difficult decisions on upcoming contracts and what they can and can't afford. Both players have cost certainty, term, and no-move clauses. They're well respected and have held leadership roles. That's attractive to a lot of teams that might need to sell pieces they don't want for strictly financial reasons. I'm not saying do it. I'm saying we need to listen to what's out there, because it might surprise us.

It's sort of the same with Zib, imo. He might be a sell-low right now. Fancystats basically say he's insanely unlucky and should rapidly regress to the mean here - and that's something that might be enough to flip an analytics-minded team. Again, I don't think you actively search to trade him, but I do think you have to do more than hang up the phone if someone mentions him.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    fwiw - Carp saying in the comments here related to this tweet there's no way Quinn is getting canned at this point. Pretty much laughing at those suggesting it.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    31 Thoughts podcast makes a great point... Lots of teams riding out coaches and GMs because you can't interview people in person, especially if you're bringing in people from Canada to the US and vice versa.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Mercogliano said something similar on his pod - bit more of a "defense" of Quinn thing.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    fwiw - Carp saying in the comments here related to this tweet there's no way Quinn is getting canned at this point. Pretty much laughing at those suggesting it.

He can laugh all he wants. It might not happen, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Where did he say to gut the team?

How does replacing the coach change how bad Z, Kreider and Trouba have been? Hard to win missing 2/3 of your top line and 1/2 your first pair.

This season looks like a wash. Moving players in the last year of their deals, especially a Buch type, makes tons of sense.
    Buch can go. Too inconsistent
    The figure stands expressionless
    Impassive and alone
    Unmoved by this victory
    And the seeds of death he's sown
    Sworn to avenge
    Condemn to Hell
    Tempt not the blade
    All fear the Sentinel

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Number one priority should be to find a way to dump Trouba.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Number one priority should be to find a way to dump Trouba.
    And Kreider!
    Rebuild Mode.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    And Kreider!
    This too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123