Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

  1. #1
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,236
    Rep Power
    387

    If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

    Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 12 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

    We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

    What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 7 pick?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    11784
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    11
    If we lose to a Devils team that just started practicing roughly a month after their last game, it's time to go to DEFCON 3.
    #bebadforBeniers

  3. #3
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,236
    Rep Power
    387
    I'll confess that part of the reason for this thread is a discussion on what value our top pick really has to us versus to others this offseason. If we're sitting in that top 5 range, in a draft that's heavy on defenders, hasn't really got a sure-shot talent on offense - isn't that better used as an accelerator for our rebuild? I'd much rather see what this pick as the centerpiece of a package gets us on the trade market.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  4. #4
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    92,046
    Rep Power
    598
    Assuming nothing changes to right the ship between now and then, I think it's two separate conversations with two mostly unique markets.

    Deadline? Ship off expendable pieces for futures. A flat cap with multiple franchises dealing with internal caps of their own due to a depressed market and what will likely be mandatory quarantine protocols make the idea of a blockbuster deal or deals unlikely. I think you mostly see some movement for effective players at moderate prices, similar to last season. The days of getting a first-round pick for Paul Gaustad are well behind us.

    Draft? I'd think long and hard about moving that pick. This coming draft isn't considered especially deep. There's no consensus first overall, and most projections show a slew of interchangeability among most projected first-rounders. That fluidity makes parting with a pick a lot more attractive, IMO, especially for a Rangers team that's coming off back-to-back top-of-class picks in as many years, with multiple first-rounders and highly-touted prospects on the way still (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc). What they really need is some offensive impact. They've fallen off a cliff offensively this season. The current squad is 27th in GF/GP. Paging Jack Eichel.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,812
    Rep Power
    434
    I'd definitely look to trade this pick as what's normally a murky prognostication business is even murkier with many of these kids not playing much.

    If they pick 2 or 3 OA again, they may as well just trade the vets, and take the longgggg view. I'd rather not, but I would have also looked to moved our previous two high picks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Rep Power
    43
    I think with another very high pick likely, now may be as good a time as any to make a run at Eichel. I think it's time for him to leave Buffalo, and it's time for the Rangers to acquire some more offensive talent. They are pretty much set for the future on defense (maybe not so much an offensive defenseman). They need more weapons.

  7. #7
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    92,046
    Rep Power
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'd definitely look to trade this pick as what's normally a murky prognostication business is even murkier with many of these kids not playing much.

    If they pick 2 or 3 OA again, they may as well just trade the vets, and take the longgggg view. I'd rather not, but I would have also looked to moved our previous two high picks.
    The idea of Brady Tkachuk +3/5 for that pick is looking so fucking nice right about now.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    3,209
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 12 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

    We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

    What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 7 pick?
    My take is that we still have some work to do with unloading some big time cap issues after this year, G Man. 12 million in dead cap doesn't usually bode well for filling in the gaps on what we can use, that's for sure.

    I think after this season it's time to make a few more adjustments, and there should be some players that will be moved. One we already know won't be back, and I'll refer to him as "that guy", but I think a lot depends on what happens with other teams as this season approaches the deadline. If a team's star support cast gets hit with injuries, I would look into sending a few "expendables" packing.

    It looks at this point that were going to at least have a top-10 pick in the upcoming draft...maybe top 5, but there comes a point where we may have to draw the line, and use that pick to obtain a player that fits what we have now. I think if we go one more draft (this year), and make another solid selection (hopefully a good young center), we'll have all the tools needed to be a perennial competitor going forward.

  9. #9
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,433
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'd definitely look to trade this pick as what's normally a murky prognostication business is even murkier with many of these kids not playing much.

    If they pick 2 or 3 OA again, they may as well just trade the vets, and take the longgggg view. I'd rather not, but I would have also looked to moved our previous two high picks.
    i'd still draft a highest ranking center. With Miller made the 2nd black captain in NHL history, Laf, Kakko and the new center===cup in 3 years

  10. #10
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,236
    Rep Power
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    My take is that we still have some work to do with unloading some big time cap issues after this year, G Man. 12 million in dead cap doesn't usually bode well for filling in the gaps on what we can use, that's for sure.

    I think after this season it's time to make a few more adjustments, and there should be some players that will be moved. One we already know won't be back, and I'll refer to him as "that guy", but I think a lot depends on what happens with other teams as this season approaches the deadline. If a team's star support cast gets hit with injuries, I would look into sending a few "expendables" packing.

    It looks at this point that were going to at least have a top-10 pick in the upcoming draft...maybe top 5, but there comes a point where we may have to draw the line, and use that pick to obtain a player that fits what we have now. I think if we go one more draft (this year), and make another solid selection (hopefully a good young center), we'll have all the tools needed to be a perennial competitor going forward.
    There's still a lot of time to right the ship, so to speak. We're still just 4 points out of a playoff spot.

    I'm going out on a limb some here: if this season starts to go up in flames, that cap issue sorts itself out. We're on 26M in space without considering the following:

    1 - In an ass-end season, Buchnevich probably gets dealt at the TDL, especially if Kravtsov comes over.
    2 - In almost any scenario, Ryan Strome gets dealt at the TDL or draft. He's not the answer at 2c. He isn't the right talent profile for 3c or 4c. That's 4.5M in space back - we're up to 30.5 (pending return, so let's say we're at 28.5)
    3 - Obviously 12M in buyouts dropping to 4.5 or so (assuming ADA buyout)
    4 - We have three contracts that have to get done no questions asked - Chytil (who I figure to make 2-3M for 2 years), Lindgren (same, lower end), and Shesterkin (3.5 or so on a bridge). Figure we've got 20M left.

    Further, this draft is...confusing. There does not appear to be a true can't miss. There doesn't really appear to be a top player or two - there's like clusters. It's almost as if the draft starts at #4 or so talent-wise. Further, it's all defense.

    I have to think that top pick is in play for a real piece, especially with teams struggling on attendance and revenue. I don't know if it puts us in the Eichel or Crosby conversation, but with the ability to eat every ounce of cap on a player, I have to imagine players like Bo Horvat on the lower end or Brayden Point/Alex Barkov on the higher end might be in real consideration here.

    Bluntly, assuming we get a 1st or a few seconds for Buch - does #5 overall, the Buch pick(s), Matt Robertson, and a B-level put us in the conversation for a top center already on a deal? I'd have to think so.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  11. #11
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,534
    Rep Power
    292
    If we continued like this for the rest of the year, id hope by then the higher ups would finally see we need to fire Quinn. Then I think you need to look at who the coach is and where his philosophy lies. The idea of taking the even longer route lies with Gorton and I'm not so sure he would want to rip it up again and basically sign his own dismissal since the ones that really would need to be traded in a tear down would be his fault for having around mostly (Kreider, Trouba, etc). So therein lies where we are kind of stuck.

    I think we would be looking at moving the pick, a prospect, and a talent for something impactful. For who probably depends on what team by next offseason needs a shakeup. The clear obvious right now is Eichel.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    50
    I think Don't Shoot Buchnevich and Wave that Stick Strome are really the only logical items to be traded at the deadline, and I don't think either one rates a No. 1 pick.

    As the youngest team in the league, we have far more roster players who are not eligible for the expansion draft than most teams. In fact, we may have some open spots and a good opportunity to trade on the cheap for a couple of decent players whose teams are not in a position to protect them.

    If the season continues on its current trajectory, DQ will be gone and the first media whispers, led by Uncle Larry, will start questioning Gorton's stewardship.

  13. #13
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,409
    Rep Power
    196
    Trade Panarin, yea I said it!
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Rep Power
    43
    Shesterkin for Hogberg straight up.

  15. #15
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,433
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Trade Panarin, yea I said it!
    you take that back!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,413
    Rep Power
    237
    I think the Rangers have a strong foundation. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Zib, Panarin, Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Shesterkin.

    They've got a ton of pieces in the pipeline, especially on defense. Nils Lundkvist is a beast and should make the team next season.

    What they need now are established players to fill in around the youngest roster in the league. They need to decide if Zibanejad is their #1 center and where Strome fits in long term - which I don't think he does. Personally, I'd love to see them make a splash at center and fill in the bottom 6 with workman-like players who have been around the block. Not fringe players, but bonefide 3rd and 4th liners. I'd like to see them take the approach the Leafs took. They need veteran leadership.

    IMO, they're in a good spot. They can trade their 1st and some pieces for a center if they want. Then make moves in free agency - not to bring in stars, but to fill out the bottom 6. Any big contract they bring in should be via trade, not free agency.

  17. #17
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,433
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I think the Rangers have a strong foundation. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Zib, Panarin, Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Shesterkin.

    They've got a ton of pieces in the pipeline, especially on defense. Nils Lundkvist is a beast and should make the team next season.

    What they need now are established players to fill in around the youngest roster in the league. They need to decide if Zibanejad is their #1 center and where Strome fits in long term - which I don't think he does. Personally, I'd love to see them make a splash at center and fill in the bottom 6 with workman-like players who have been around the block. Not fringe players, but bonefide 3rd and 4th liners. I'd like to see them take the approach the Leafs took. They need veteran leadership.

    IMO, they're in a good spot. They can trade their 1st and some pieces for a center if they want. Then make moves in free agency - not to bring in stars, but to fill out the bottom 6. Any big contract they bring in should be via trade, not free agency.
    we need better bottom 6. North American grinders and physical players who put up an occasional goal

  18. #18
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,413
    Rep Power
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    we need better bottom 6. North American grinders and physical players who put up an occasional goal
    No doubt and I think that's a good place to add vets. Depending on price, obviously, I think they should be interested in players like Getzlaf, Perry, Krecji, Bonino, etc.

  19. #19
    Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    2,755
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

    This coming draft isn't considered especially deep. There's no consensus first overall, and most projections show a slew of interchangeability among most projected first-rounders. That fluidity makes parting with a pick a lot more attractive, IMO, especially for a Rangers team that's coming off back-to-back top-of-class picks in as many years, with multiple first-rounders and highly-touted prospects on the way still (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc).
    Would seem to make complete sense why we would deal the pick, at the same time because of the interchangeability it would seem to lower the value of the return imo. Kind of reading this as there's a whole bunch of not so great prospects in this draft with very few standing out. So the difference between say drafting 6 and 9th for example won't get you a whole lot? Just trying to level my expectations a little bit based on the knowledge you guys have I don't follow that stuff like you guys do and well bought into.....what the experts (outside of here) were selling the last two years.

  20. #20
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,433
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    No doubt and I think that's a good place to add vets. Depending on price, obviously, I think they should be interested in players like Getzlaf, Perry, Krecji, Bonino, etc.
    not exactly physical grinding types. i like Bonino tho

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •