• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

LindG1000

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is ass. Ask the whole OP again, Mike.

Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 13 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 6 pick?

The season is effectively over. I doubt I would trade a top 5 pick away, since we do not appear to be anywhere close to contention, but it really depends. You'd have to bank on a new coach making a large enough difference to catapult this team from being a trash can to being competitive with a big move. If not, you need to keep the pick and try to unload the older, higher priced players (not Panarin) if they can.

It’s not good thus far... we are at the 1/4 pole and they’re earning less than a point per game in the standings in a VERY GOOD and competitive division.

They’ve been extremely inconsistent, results have been, on a scale of 1-9, a 3 or 4 at best.

The injuries they’ve run into haven’t helped either as they are a young team and the overall depth organizationally is shallow. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Trouba, his minutes at the least will be missed.

If it continues this way, come TDL, you do the obvious and logical thing and move pieces for youth/futures type assets in return, unless there’s a “too good to pass up” hockey trade out there.

Also, if it stays this way, they’ll probably end up with a top-10 pick again.

I’d lean towards moving that pick at this juncture as it doesn’t look to be the greatest of draft classes and they probably end up with a better player in return. Unless there’s a player available to them in the draft that’s too good to pass up that they’re totally in love with, you move the pick.

Though I do think, despite this poor first quarter of the season, they’ll eventually figure it out, provided everyone gets and stays healthy, and hit a stretch wherein they play very well.

But ultimately I think they wind up where they were basically projected to... as a bubble team.

They make it in as a low seed and get bounced early, or they miss the playoffs by a small sum of points.

Not to rain on your parade and I’m beating a dead horse one more time, but “ time to turn things around”??? How so? We have a coach who’s maximized his NHL coaching skills and he is what he is, a 500 coach. So there’s that. We keep him and the season is already over and if we fire him it’s over because who’s out there who’s willing to step in and has the coaching skills to “turn things around”? I hope you’re a fan of baseball because our NHL season is done. Seen this story too many times in my 45 years of being a fan of all sports

It’s not good thus far... we are at the 1/4 pole and they’re earning less than a point per game in the standings in a VERY GOOD and competitive division.

They’ve been extremely inconsistent, results have been, on a scale of 1-9, a 3 or 4 at best.

The injuries they’ve run into haven’t helped either as they are a young team and the overall depth organizationally is shallow. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Trouba, his minutes at the least will be missed.

If it continues this way, come TDL, you do the obvious and logical thing and move pieces for youth/futures type assets in return, unless there’s a “too good to pass up” hockey trade out there.

Also, if it stays this way, they’ll probably end up with a top-10 pick again.

I’d lean towards moving that pick at this juncture as it doesn’t look to be the greatest of draft classes and they probably end up with a better player in return. Unless there’s a player available to them in the draft that’s too good to pass up that they’re totally in love with, you move the pick.

Though I do think, despite this poor first quarter of the season, they’ll eventually figure it out, provided everyone gets and stays healthy, and hit a stretch wherein they play very well.

But ultimately I think they wind up where they were basically projected to... as a bubble team.

They make it in as a low seed and get bounced early, or they miss the playoffs by a small sum of points.

Wrong, I don’t mind trading a piece or two but to just start gutting this team for the future would be completely stupid. We have talent, we don’t have a coach. We’re not as far off as you think

Wrong, I don’t mind trading a piece or two but to just start gutting this team for the future would be completely stupid. We have talent, we don’t have a coach. We’re not as far off as you think
Where did he say to gut the team?

How does replacing the coach change how bad Z, Kreider and Trouba have been? Hard to win missing 2/3 of your top line and 1/2 your first pair.

This season looks like a wash. Moving players in the last year of their deals, especially a Buch type, makes tons of sense.

Where did he say to gut the team?

How does replacing the coach change how bad Z, Kreider and Trouba have been? Hard to win missing 2/3 of your top line and 1/2 your first pair.

This season looks like a wash. Moving players in the last year of their deals, especially a Buch type, makes tons of sense.

As good a player as Buch is, it's hard to argue that we're so strong on the wings that he's both in the "don't re-sign long term" range and the "could be a top TDL acquisition" space.

With Laf in tow, sure, I'd much rather have given Buch 5.25 than Kreider 6.5 - but that's revisionist history.

We keep this up and I'm around here:

I'm selling off Smith, Johnson, and PDG. Expiring contracts, UFA, just get the assets. We can get rid of all three with little issue - Bitetto and Hajek have been fine, and Kravtsov basically steps in PDG's spot by the TDL anyway (after Traktor gets knocked out and he completes his quarantine)

I'm fielding offers for Buch, Howden, ADA (assuming he's still here), and Kreider.

I'm actively listening on Trouba, in part because of the complexity of dealing that much cap makes it real hard to move on without a desperation throw. I doubt the TDL's the spot, but this is where you can lay groundwork for the bigger deal later on.

I'm quietly listening on Zibanejad.

As good a player as Buch is, it's hard to argue that we're so strong on the wings that he's both in the "don't re-sign long term" range and the "could be a top TDL acquisition" space.

With Laf in tow, sure, I'd much rather have given Buch 5.25 than Kreider 6.5 - but that's revisionist history.

I'm selling off Smith, Johnson, and PDG. Expiring contracts, UFA, just get the assets. We can get rid of all three with little issue - Bitetto and Hajek have been fine, and Kravtsov basically steps in PDG's spot by the TDL anyway (after Traktor gets knocked out and he completes his quarantine)

I'm fielding offers for Buch, Howden, ADA (assuming he's still here), and Kreider.

I'm actively listening on Trouba, in part because of the complexity of dealing that much cap makes it real hard to move on without a desperation throw. I doubt the TDL's the spot, but this is where you can lay groundwork for the bigger deal later on.

Only pushes I have are you're selling low on Zib and I don't see Kreider waiving his NMC one season into his deal.

Interesting.

A yard sale with only Panarin, Kakko, Laf, and Chytil not for sale up front? Two and a half of those 4 having done nothing at this level yet. Along with some plugs on the 4th line that weren't mentioned because they aren't worth of a mention. Essentially willing to blow it up and start from scratch up front. Can't say I totally disagree. But at the same time that rebuild letter may need to be refreshed and sent out again because we would still be years away. I think we would be hard pressed to find takers for the Trouba and Kreider contracts which I think will haunt us for years to come.

Interesting.

A yard sale with only Panarin, Kakko, Laf, and Chytil not for sale up front? Two and a half of those 4 having done nothing at this level yet. Along with some plugs on the 4th line that weren't mentioned because they aren't worth of a mention. Essentially willing to blow it up and start from scratch up front. Can't say I totally disagree. But at the same time that rebuild letter may need to be refreshed and sent out again because we would still be years away. I think we would be hard pressed to find takers for the Trouba and Kreider contracts which I think will haunt us for years to come.

Its not really a yard sale put front.

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko

Laf - Zib - Kravtsov

That's basically your top 6 next year regardless. The main question is if Zib can ever shake out of his funk.

Your third line can be Kreider - Strome - Gauthier, depending on whose still around.

Any combo of PDG, Rooney, Blackwell, Howden, Lemiuex is fine for the 4th line.

If Zib and/or our high first get moved it would be for a young center that would slide right into the top 6.

So long story short moving Krieder, Strome, and/or Buch isn't blowing it up. It's going to happen no matter what.

Who's going to want Johnson? Smith I could see. He seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. A team would probably want him 3rd pair/depth.

Kreider/Trouba sure, but 99% sure they wouldn't waive.

At the trade deadling, Zibanejad seems like a high risk, low reward proposition to trade. High risk because he is good enough to rebound and still be a 1/2 C for us. Low reward because we'd be selling low and likely to a contender where futures (some combo of an A prospect, B prospect, 1st, etc.) would be the return. I doubt we'd get any immediate impact pieces back. The offseason might make more sense there if push comes to shove.

Who's going to want Johnson? Smith I could see. He seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. A team would probably want him 3rd pair/depth.

Kreider/Trouba sure, but 99% sure they wouldn't waive.

At the trade deadling, Zibanejad seems like a high risk, low reward proposition to trade. High risk because he is good enough to rebound and still be a 1/2 C for us. Low reward because we'd be selling low and likely to a contender where futures (some combo of an A prospect, B prospect, 1st, etc.) would be the return. I doubt we'd get any immediate impact pieces back. The offseason might make more sense there if push comes to shove.

Yea Zib is for sure not a TDL move. If they think last year was an anomaly that's a trade for the summer.

Johnson's a UFA. If someone gives you a 7th for him, whatever.

I left Strome off my list, but you all probably just made the jump anyway that he's on the block too.

As for Kreider/Trouba- This is a weird season. I think there are going to be teams faced with truly difficult decisions on upcoming contracts and what they can and can't afford. Both players have cost certainty, term, and no-move clauses. They're well respected and have held leadership roles. That's attractive to a lot of teams that might need to sell pieces they don't want for strictly financial reasons. I'm not saying do it. I'm saying we need to listen to what's out there, because it might surprise us.

It's sort of the same with Zib, imo. He might be a sell-low right now. Fancystats basically say he's insanely unlucky and should rapidly regress to the mean here - and that's something that might be enough to flip an analytics-minded team. Again, I don't think you actively search to trade him, but I do think you have to do more than hang up the phone if someone mentions him.