• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#14) Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils // COVID-River Rivals

Phil

If he could only win a draw, I really think he's a great 3C. There's lots to like with Strome. He's a hockey player, we don't have enough of those.

I was embarrassed for him last night, watching a child take his draws. Ouch.

Yea, it's real bad when you have to throw Rooney out in the last few minutes of games. Brutal.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, it's real bad when you have to throw Rooney out in the last few minutes of games. Brutal.

Lafreniere, Kreider, Rooney and Howden were taking the draws in crunch time. I don't know if people understand how big of a deal this is. Lafreniere losing the draw led directly to the Devils 3rd goal. It's a joke these NHL centerman can't win a faceoff.

Lafreniere, Kreider, Rooney and Howden were taking the draws in crunch time. I don't know if people understand how big of a deal this is. Lafreniere losing the draw led directly to the Devils 3rd goal. It's a joke these NHL centerman can't win a faceoff.

NHL centers who can't really win a respectable number of faceoffs shouldn't be centers. If we keep him, Strome should be moved out to the wing, and we can figure something else out at the center position.

NHL centers who can't really win a respectable number of faceoffs shouldn't be centers. If we keep him, Strome should be moved out to the wing, and we can figure something else out at the center position.

If you take this approach to Strome, you'd probably have to consider doing it with Zib too. They are not that drastically different in FO%

Zibanejad:

Career FO% - 49.5

This Season FO% - 44.4

Strome:

Career FO% - 45.7

This Season FO% - 41.94

If you take this approach to Strome, you'd probably have to consider doing it with Zib too. They are not that drastically different in FO%

Zibanejad:

Career FO% - 49.5

This Season FO% - 44.4

Strome:

Career FO% - 45.7

This Season FO% - 41.94

Or the coach could have them practice more, have the wingers jump in quicker and help, etc.

Faceoffs aren't always all on the C. It's a team philosophy.

Zibanejad:

Career FO% - 49.5

This Season FO% - 44.4

Strome:

Career FO% - 45.7

This Season FO% - 41.94

A 4% swing is larger than you think. Crosby's career FO% is 52.7. That's 3.2% more than Zibanejad and he's very good at faceoffs. Zibanejad has always hovered near average. You also need to account for the much larger sample size, and the fact centers who are playing on a #1 line are taking on better centers in the dots.

Or the coach could have them practice more, have the wingers jump in quicker and help, etc.

Faceoffs aren't always all on the C. It's a team philosophy.

Agree. Was just making a point against his "switch to wing" suggestion.

Even if they were to entertain that, the Rangers would be stuck trying to find a 1C/2C which is a huge undertaking.

Agree. Was just making a point against his "switch to wing" suggestion.

Even if they were to entertain that, the Rangers would be stuck trying to find a 1C/2C which is a huge undertaking.

Agreed, and it's an undertaking they need to start working on. Strome isn't the solution at center if you want the team to turn into a Cup contender.

Agreed, and it's an undertaking they need to start working on. Strome isn't the solution at center if you want the team to turn into a Cup contender.

Agreed and I don't think the Rangers think so either. I'm okay with him at 3C but he may price himself out for that role. It would also mean Chytil moves to wing.

Either way, finding a second line center should be a priority.

Agreed and I don't think the Rangers think so either. I'm okay with him at 3C but he may price himself out for that role. It would also mean Chytil moves to wing.

Either way, finding a second line center should be a priority.

Yes, Chytil is terrible in the dot. I think he'll develop into a top 6 talent, but I agree with previous sentiment from others on the board that he's probably better suited to be a wing. Maybe he naturally takes Buchnevich's spot, and Buchnevich is part of a deal for a center.