• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Censorship II

BrooksBurner

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This assumes there's good faith undergirding the request, which isn't likely to be the case. Instead, it's going to end up used as a sounding board to bitch about how it's "unfair" that you are removed, as well as a path to demand that others were removed as well. Literally no different than when warnings and infractions are given. In other words, an extension of the very threads you are being removed for for similar behavior. Sorry, not interested.

I'll settle on this, instead: we'll post a warning in threads that are encroaching on the need to remove members without naming them personally that instructs everyone to lower the temperature because removals are coming next.

This assumes there's good faith undergirding the request, which isn't likely to be the case. Instead, it's going to end up used as a sounding board to bitch about how it's "unfair" that you are removed, as well as a path to demand that others were removed as well. Literally no different than when warnings and infractions are given. In other words, an extension of the very threads you are being removed for for similar behavior. Sorry, not interested.

I'll settle on this, instead: we'll post a warning in threads that are encroaching on the need to remove members without naming them personally that instructs everyone to lower the temperature because removals are coming next.

In this instance I was unaware I did anything wrong, other than having a minority opinion, so I'm not sure what good a public thread warning would have helped. I would have assumed it was directed towards others.

So you'd rather the warnings and/or infractions, then? We can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'd rather some honesty about who's at fault. I won't name names, but I think it's obvious the common denominator around here in who escalates 90% of the disagreements on this board to a level that requires the mods to step in. The efforts to protect that poster are far and wide, but others shouldn't carry the weight of it as a response.

Your board, your rules, as you've said, but when posters are banned from hockey discussions without a small note of explanation, it stifles poster participation across the board. I just thought I can't be the only one this has happened to, and it deserved a discussion for the betterment of the board and a more enjoyable experience. I like to come here and talk about the Rangers with most everyone here, so I figured I'd bring it up.

I won't make another comment here unless prompted to. If I'm the only one speaking about it, then this thread will die anyway.

• Like 1

Threadbans are meant to be a low maintenance way for us to moderate discussions that go slightly off the rails (or are about to) without having to issue warnings/infractions, which can add up to a ban, or close the threads completely, which stifles participation because of a few "bad apples."

You are welcome to PM to a member of the moderation staff to see what the deal is, but I think it's safe to assume that something you were doing was considered to degrade the quality of the thread you were posting in.

This isn't about censorship - it's about keeping threads from going off a cliff. And, honestly, the schoolyard "well he started it" stuff usually doesn't matter if two or more people kept it going after someone "starts" it.

While it may be bait, there’s also truth to it. It touches on that old discussion that this place is not what it use to be.

We say this about every board in the past.

But this board has been pretty much the same ,of course it changes a little there ,it goes with the change of members

While it may be bait, there’s also truth to it. It touches on that old discussion that this place is not what it use to be.

The world isn't what it used to be. The forum is just a microcosm of the world.

But, let's be honest, everyone is responsible. It's not just the staff, it's the users, too. Even the folks making comments here aren't honest actors. If you think there's a "common denominator around here in who escalates 90% of the disagreements on this board to a level that requires the mods to step in" then ignore that person. If you go at that person, they're likely to go back, so you're part of the problem. Also realize that there are other people on the board who probably feel that way about you.

If you're coming here to complain about the board by saying it was created to "express different, individual opinions in a way to better understand... everything and each other", but then you ridicule (not just disagree, but mock) other people's posts, then you're part of the problem.

The minute people start pointing fingers at everyone else and not realizing the role they play in the evolution of this forum, it becomes dishonest.

Now I'm sure the people I quoted will say "But you do this, too!", and they might be right, but I also ain't up in here getting self righteous about the way the board is run, either. I take it as it comes. You want to have a civil conversation with me, let's do it. You want to get snarky and be an asshole, I can can be a bigger one. But don't act like we didn't all play a role in how we got here.

I miss this board from it?s infancy stages, much happier times here back then. It?s a shame that politics and other beliefs have divided this place because everyone who came over from the old board was on the same side at one time and we?re all still here whether it?s leaving and coming back, lurking, or posting every day. We?ve had these convos and threads before and inevitably it all stems back and circles around the same shit over and over. My ideas may suck and not be as good as others or as reasonable as others, but facts are facts .... politics divided this board just like they divide everything else in life.

The majority of you know me pretty well here, on and off the board. You all know I don?t really have a political bone in my body. Fuck, I?ve never voted a day in my life. I know, blasphemy, right ! While I don?t judge any of you for whatever side you?re on, and I pretty much get along with everyone even if we?ve had run ins in the past, there?s a reason for it ... Because any arguments we?ve had didn?t involve politics. No one is changing anyone?s mind in politics, never. Pete and I can go at it about coaching, the pp, whatever .. and there?s passion in it because we love hockey and the Rangers, but I don?t want to light his house on fire because he likes 1-2-2 forecheck and I prefer a 2-2-1. We move past it, it?s hockey. But once you get red / blue , left / right , up / down involved ... Game Over.

Some of things I read here and see others talk about is pretty wild considering you?re angry at each other over beliefs. No one kicked your puppy or stabbed your kitten. No one fucked your wife here (well maybe), or beat your mother up. Chill out, because whether you want to believe it or not, the guys at each other?s throats constantly probably have a lot more in common than they think. It?ll remain untapped though because it seems to be at a point of no return here. I was part of the problem here, I?ve probably told every mod here to go fuck themselves at one point or another, but I?m actually friends with all of them now, mostly because our exchanges were not politically driven. From my seat, there?s good in all of you but you guys will never know it or believe it because of what you think about a politician, a vaccine, a gun, a gay dude, a black dude, etc ... I?ve said it a million times here and you have all proved my point for the last x amount of years ... politics suck and they divide friendships. Family members don?t talk anymore bc of politics, what did you think would happen if you leave it for discussion on a hockey forum? Regardless of what happens here, good luck to all of you and stay in touch with me, I like most of you.

I miss this board from it’s infancy stages, much happier times here back then. It’s a shame that politics and other beliefs have divided this place because everyone who came over from the old board was on the same side at one time and we’re all still here whether it’s leaving and coming back, lurking, or posting every day. We’ve had these convos and threads before and inevitably it all stems back and circles around the same shit over and over. My ideas may suck and not be as good as others or as reasonable as others, but facts are facts .... politics divided this board just like they divide everything else in life.

The majority of you know me pretty well here, on and off the board. You all know I don’t really have a political bone in my body. Fuck, I’ve never voted a day in my life. I know, blasphemy, right ! While I don’t judge any of you for whatever side you’re on, and I pretty much get along with everyone even if we’ve had run ins in the past, there’s a reason for it ... Because any arguments we’ve had didn’t involve politics. No one is changing anyone’s mind in politics, never. Pete and I can go at it about coaching, the pp, whatever .. and there’s passion in it because we love hockey and the Rangers, but I don’t want to light his house on fire because he likes 1-2-2 forecheck and I prefer a 2-2-1. We move past it, it’s hockey. But once you get red / blue , left / right , up / down involved ... Game Over.

Some of things I read here and see others talk about is pretty wild considering you’re angry at each other over beliefs. No one kicked your puppy or stabbed your kitten. No one fucked your wife here (well maybe), or beat your mother up. Chill out, because whether you want to believe it or not, the guys at each other’s throats constantly probably have a lot more in common than they think. It’ll remain untapped though because it seems to be at a point of no return here. I was part of the problem here, I’ve probably told every mod here to go fuck themselves at one point or another, but I’m actually friends with all of them now, mostly because our exchanges were not politically driven. From my seat, there’s good in all of you but you guys will never know it or believe it because of what you think about a politician, a vaccine, a gun, a gay dude (Dan), a black dude (Dan), etc ... I’ve said it a million times here and you have all proved my point for the last x amount of years ... politics suck and they divide friendships. Family members don’t talk anymore bc of politics, what did you think would happen if you leave it for discussion on a hockey forum? Regardless of what happens here, good luck to all of you and stay in touch with me, I like most of you.

I do agree with the politics section playing a key role (and even when I was a mod I lobbied hard to get rid of it, or make that section opt-in only), but not for the same reasons...Normally we get a break from each other over the summer, no one is really posting. But much like the normal news cycle, the last 4 years have been hyperpolitical so there was always something Trump related to talk about when there was no hockey, and especially now with COVID there really has been no break at all. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I miss this board from it’s infancy stages, much happier times here back then. It’s a shame that politics and other beliefs have divided this place because everyone who came over from the old board was on the same side at one time and we’re all still here whether it’s leaving and coming back, lurking, or posting every day. We’ve had these convos and threads before and inevitably it all stems back and circles around the same shit over and over. My ideas may suck and not be as good as others or as reasonable as others, but facts are facts .... politics divided this board just like they divide everything else in life.

The majority of you know me pretty well here, on and off the board. You all know I don’t really have a political bone in my body. Fuck, I’ve never voted a day in my life. I know, blasphemy, right ! While I don’t judge any of you for whatever side you’re on, and I pretty much get along with everyone even if we’ve had run ins in the past, there’s a reason for it ... Because any arguments we’ve had didn’t involve politics. No one is changing anyone’s mind in politics, never. Pete and I can go at it about coaching, the pp, whatever .. and there’s passion in it because we love hockey and the Rangers, but I don’t want to light his house on fire because he likes 1-2-2 forecheck and I prefer a 2-2-1. We move past it, it’s hockey. But once you get red / blue , left / right , up / down involved ... Game Over.

Some of things I read here and see others talk about is pretty wild considering you’re angry at each other over beliefs. No one kicked your puppy or stabbed your kitten. No one fucked your wife here (well maybe), or beat your mother up. Chill out, because whether you want to believe it or not, the guys at each other’s throats constantly probably have a lot more in common than they think. It’ll remain untapped though because it seems to be at a point of no return here. I was part of the problem here, I’ve probably told every mod here to go fuck themselves at one point or another, but I’m actually friends with all of them now, mostly because our exchanges were not politically driven. From my seat, there’s good in all of you but you guys will never know it or believe it because of what you think about a politician, a vaccine, a gun, a gay dude, a black dude, etc ... I’ve said it a million times here and you have all proved my point for the last x amount of years ... politics suck and they divide friendships. Family members don’t talk anymore bc of politics, what did you think would happen if you leave it for discussion on a hockey forum? Regardless of what happens here, good luck to all of you and stay in touch with me, I like most of you.

You saying you’ll start posting again if the political BS here would stop?

I do agree with the politics section playing a key role (and even when I was a mod I lobbied hard to get rid of it, or make that section opt-in only), but not for the same reasons...Normally we get a break from each other over the summer, no one is really posting. But much like the normal news cycle, the last 4 years have been hyperpolitical so there was always something Trump related to talk about when there was no hockey, and especially now with COVID there really has been no break at all. Familiarity breeds contempt.

There’s only something to talk about if people want to talk about it. Doesn’t matter who the president is. I find it hard to believe that our summers were less quiet during the Obama administration because he was just spectacular. I’m not making a debate out of this, but I think it’s hard to argue that if we polled the Obama haters we can come up with some more threads that would last until your kids are in HS.

There’s only something to talk about if people want to talk about it. Doesn’t matter who the president is. I find it hard to believe that our summers were less quiet during the Obama administration because he was just spectacular. I’m not making a debate out of this, but I think it’s hard to argue that if we polled the Obama haters we can come up with some more threads that would last until your kids are in HS.

Yea, we're not going to agree on the bolded so I'm not going to answer. COVID point still stands.

The world isn't what it used to be. The forum is just a microcosm of the world.

But, let's be honest, everyone is responsible. It's not just the staff, it's the users, too. Even the folks making comments here aren't honest actors. If you think there's a "common denominator around here in who escalates 90% of the disagreements on this board to a level that requires the mods to step in" then ignore that person. If you go at that person, they're likely to go back, so you're part of the problem. Also realize that there are other people on the board who probably feel that way about you.

If you're coming here to complain about the board by saying it was created to "express different, individual opinions in a way to better understand... everything and each other", but then you ridicule (not just disagree, but mock) other people's posts, then you're part of the problem.

The minute people start pointing fingers at everyone else and not realizing the role they play in the evolution of this forum, it becomes dishonest.

Now I'm sure the people I quoted will say "But you do this, too!", and they might be right, but I also ain't up in here getting self righteous about the way the board is run, either. I take it as it comes. You want to have a civil conversation with me, let's do it. You want to get snarky and be an asshole, I can can be a bigger one. But don't act like we didn't all play a role in how we got here.

I?m sorry, I never said I didn?t do anything wrong over the years, we all have our faults but I will say that I?ve tried to be better and change my ways here (not always perfect). As Mikey has said, all of this stems from the political fights and many just can?t get past the left or right side even on other parts of the forum, seems like everything spills over. I?m not going to harp on the last paragraph of your post otherwise it will just become a back and forth.

I?d be perfectly fine if we banned political discussion here. Or at least banned it outside of the politics thread entirely.

I?m all for talking red or blue, I don?t participate nearly as much as some of you do mostly because the effort you guys put into sourcing things and writing up long posts etc is a little to much for me to devote time to but I respect that a lot of you do on both sides.

But it leads to too much bad blood in my opinion- every thread turns into some sort of red/blue deangelo/trump haters, masks/no masks etc etc chat.

Let it go.. there?s plenty to talk about other than that. Hell, most of you guys probably have more in common than you disagree on. No ones changing their opinion and at a certain point it changes from discourse to nagging and baiting and prodding.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m sorry, I never said I didn’t do anything wrong over the years, we all have our faults but I will say that I’ve tried to be better and change my ways here (not always perfect). As Mikey has said, all of this stems from the political fights and many just can’t get past the left or right side even on other parts of the forum, seems like everything spills over. I’m not going to harp on the last paragraph of your post otherwise it will just become a back and forth.

I mean, I didn't quote you in those comments, so it wasn't directed at you. Don't take it personally. I quoted your post just because you said this place isn't what it used to be, and I was offering a reason that it's not.