• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trading Panarin?

Panarin also turns the puck over way too much, always try to force his passes
This is really nitpicking. You live with the risk for players like Panarin. He had 90 GVA last year... McDavid had 88 and Draisaitl 105, Marner 88, Pastrnak 93.

I know giveaways aren't the end all be all stat, but all creative players live and die with plays like that. I wouldn't say he does it anymore than any other player of his stature. And that's not a reason to trade him.

Also we might want to wait until someone like Laf or Kakko actually does something in this league before talking about trading an MVP candidate.

I?m not saying the turnovers is the only reason to trade him. My main reasoning is that things have changed with winning the lottery and personally I feel that Kakko and a Lafreniere would benefit with his ice time. I think his value is at its highest until the end of next year so why not entertain it at least?

I understand the points people have brought up about Kreider but I don?t see who is trading for him, without giving up more assets to go along with him.

I think Panarin is a great player, don?t get me wrong but I also think that trading him might be better for the team in the long run. This team is further out from contending than originally believed to be IMO.

But then again, do we really want Gorton handling a Panarin trade? Maybe I should stop right there

They maybe shouldn't have drafted two franchise wingers, when they had a franchise winger, and 1.5 effective centermen, with none even remotely in the pipeline.

Is Lafreniere better than Zegras + Perfetti? Maybe, but even is he is marginally better than those two combined, a C is and was really needed, particularly when you handicap yourself with buyouts, and can't go to market to get one.

Maybe that's all pie in the sky shit, as moving down from 1 or 2 OA would take massive balls, but as is, it's really hard to see any identity with this roster. Even if it's by circumstance, they're building from the wing out. That seems pretty dumb. It's like building a baseball team from LF and 1B out. They are the least important positions in tne sport.

They maybe shouldn't have drafted two franchise wingers, when they had a franchise winger, and 1.5 effective centermen, with none even remotely in the pipeline.

Is Lafreniere better than Zegras + Perfetti? Maybe, but even is he is marginally better than those two combined, a C is and was really needed, particularly when you handicap yourself with buyouts, and can't go to market to get one.

Maybe that's all pie in the sky shit, as moving down from 1 or 2 OA would take massive balls, but as is, it's really hard to see any identity with this roster. Even if it's by circumstance, they're building from the wing out. That seems pretty dumb. It's like building a baseball team from LF and 1B out. They are the least important positions in tne sport.

This is the direction I?m pointing to by trading him, fill the huge centerman hole that we currently have.

This is the direction I?m pointing to by trading him, fill the huge centerman hole that we currently have.
Yeah, I don't think they're serious anything until that happens.
But reality is they're not going to even remotely try and do this. And they can't, with a flat cap.

How many teams do you think can take on that salary and cap hit?

Lafrienere can and should be a play driver off the wing, eventually we'll see him with Zib. Is Zegras better now than Chytil? Zib and Chytil should be the 1c/2c for the foreseeable future (Zib poor start not withstanding), and I think they have good enough bottom six center depth.

I feel like the bricks are pretty much there, they just don't know what the house looks like.

Well, they did trade for Howden and draft Andersson and Chytil. Obviously two of them didnt turn into what they hoped, but they did go after centers first. Then they got a lot of D?s and lastly wingers (Kravtsov, signed Panarin, got gifted Kakko and Laf).

C is a problem, but its not a huge one honestly. Mika has been bad, but he?s still a legit 1C. Normally should be good for ~30g/70p while playing tough matchups, a lot of minutes and both PK/PP. Chytil looked good at the start of the season and I think he will get better. At best he?s a really good 2nd line center, at worst he?s a good 3rd line center.

I dont think trading Panarin for a middle-6 center is the answer. Trade Strome and Kreider + some prospect/picks if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

34 posts and not a single mention of the small issue that he has an NMC. So you sign a big free agent who takes a modest discount to come to New York, he plays even above expectations, and a year later you are leaning on him to waive his NMC? That will be the last major free agent you sign.

Put down that crack pipe, indeed. And don't get started on the acid, in the alternative.

Ok, I'd take it all that back if Gorton could swing a deal to get a package with a Lias Andersson, a Libor Hajek, an Emerson Etem, and a Yegor Rykov.

If you perpetually build for the future, the future never arrives.

This!

Well, they did trade for Howden and draft Andersson and Chytil. Obviously two of them didnt turn into what they hoped, but they did go after centers first. Then they got a lot of D’s and lastly wingers (Kravtsov, signed Panarin, got gifted Kakko and Laf).

C is a problem, but its not a huge one honestly. Mika has been bad, but he’s still a legit 1C. Normally should be good for ~30g/70p while playing tough matchups, a lot of minutes and both PK/PP. Chytil looked good at the start of the season and I think he will get better. At best he’s a really good 2nd line center, at worst he’s a good 3rd line center.

I dont think trading Panarin for a middle-6 center is the answer. Trade Strome and Kreider + some prospect/picks if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

34 posts and not a single mention of the small issue that he has an NMC. So you sign a big free agent who takes a modest discount to come to New York, he plays even above expectations, and a year later you are leaning on him to waive his NMC? That will be the last major free agent you sign.

Put down that crack pipe, indeed. And don't get started on the acid, in the alternative.

Ok, I'd take it all that back if Gorton could swing a deal to get a package with a Lias Andersson, a Libor Hajek, an Emerson Etem, and a Yegor Rykov.

If you paid any attention to the league over the past few years, but no move clause only means that you get control over where you go. Rarely has a player entirely refused to be dealt.

Also, players want to play in New York. They bought out Shattenkirk after 2 seasons and Panarin still wanted to come here. The whole "you won't be able to attract FAs" is nonsense.

So because he has a NMC, you decide to attack my opinion with crack pipe and acid references? Got it

Well as Pete has mentioned, do you even know why a player wants a NMC?

Is it a possibility? Obviously things changed with drafting Kakko and Lafreniere.

When I first saw this I was like "huh"....but I have a feeling I know where you're going with this one, Vodka. Now I'm not sure the timing on this is now, or even next season, but I get the whole "this guy may very well be expendable" now that we have Kakko and Lafreniere.

Panarin carries a heck of a cap hit, and he may not easily slide in to another teams fabric, but he certainly has massive value like you said. Thing is, I think Panarin is a player this team needs. He always brings it every game, and he's a perennial MVP candidate for that reason. He's not the guy I would move....

I'm thinking more along the lines of Kreider and Trouba...Last year if you remember I think I had a stroke when they re-signed Kreider. (thought I was having heart failure!!!) :rofl:

I was hoping Trouba would show me something this year and I gotta say, he's been shitty so far. Miller's decision making on D is better than his, and he's been in this league what, 12 games??? And Kreider, don't even get me started...I still have no idea who he is as a player. Those 2 are like anchors for this team right now in my estimation, and what's more is their value is probably not what it should be either.

Trouba's been made expendable by Miller

Kreider is expendable, and has been for a long time now

NMC's aside, those are the players I would be looking to move at the deadline. Just the cap space alone ($14.5 million) is worth unloading them. That would free up over 28 million in cap space for next season after we get past this year's buyout debacle.

Anyway, welcome back man...I hadn't seen you up here for a bit!!! Great to see you back!! :thumbs:

• Like 1

If you paid any attention to the league over the past few years, but no move clause only means that you get control over where you go. Rarely has a player entirely refused to be dealt.

Also, players want to play in New York. They bought out Shattenkirk after 2 seasons and Panarin still wanted to come here. The whole "you won't be able to attract FAs" is nonsense.

I agree. No one ever didnt sign a contract with any team thinking “oh no, i wont sign because they may trade me”

Before we start trading players which is an irreversible process with very poor recent record (take Pionk trade for example) isn’t it easier just to get rid of this coach and get a real nhl caliber coach? As far as addition by deduction goes, kreider needs to be moved down with planarian taking his spot on first line.

Before we start trading players which is an irreversible process with very poor recent record (take Pionk trade for example) isn’t it easier just to get rid of this coach and get a real nhl caliber coach? As far as addition by deduction goes, kreider needs to be moved down with planarian taking his spot on first line.

Can we talk about firing Quinn in the Fire Quinn thread, so that we don't have to have the same conversation in every single thread?

It's almost as bad as DeAngelo at this point.

Reason I mentioned Quinn was in context of trading panarin or anybody else before some other available and easier steps could be taken

I hear you, and I don't necessarily disagree, it just gets tired when that's the only conversation on the board (not your fault, I know).

• 2 weeks later...