• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: Would Crosby Seek Trade to Rangers or Avalanche if Pens Miss Playoffs?

Phil

This from Dreger on TSN TV:

For me, it's all about this season. If the Pittsburgh Penguins were to miss the playoffs this year, I think it's a real tough conversation for Ron Hextall, Brian Burke and Sidney Crosby in the offseason. It wouldn't' shock me at all if Sid said "Look ? I want my legacy to be, you collected the pieces, based on moving me, to the Colorado Avalanche or the New York Rangers, or whatever the team is ... that are going to really jump start a rebuild that will make this team a contender in the next five years."

--

If you really listen to the clip, this was purely just his own conjecture, and the Avs clearly make the most sense of any team I can think of, but let's not pretend the Rangers don't. The prospect of linking Crosby with Lafreniere while shoring up a clear organizational depth issue with Crosby right when your window to contend effectively opens? I get the cost would likely be significant, but sign me up. The goal is to win Cups, not the greatest collection of prospects.

This from Dreger on TSN TV:

--

If you really listen to the clip, this was purely just his own conjecture, and the Avs clearly make the most sense of any team I can think of, but let's not pretend the Rangers don't. The prospect of linking Crosby with Lafreniere while shoring up a clear organizational depth issue with Crosby right when your window to contend effectively opens? I get the cost would likely be significant, but sign me up. The goal is to win Cups, not the greatest collection of prospects.

We trading Lafreniere for him

Yea, much more likely Malkin gets traded and they try to surround Sid with a new generation before his deal runs out in 2025.

Much more interesting/realistic conversation, what would you give up if Malkin became available over the Summer?

My thought is Chytil or Kravtsov, Robertson or Schneider, Gauthier or Barron and a conditional first may be enough to get it done if the decide to retool it for the next generation and keep Crosby considering that malkin has one year left on his contract.

Much more interesting/realistic conversation, what would you give up if Malkin became available over the Summer?

My thought is Chytil or Kravtsov, Robertson or Schneider, Gauthier or Barron and a conditional first may be enough to get it done if the decide to retool it for the next generation and keep Crosby considering that malkin has one year left on his contract.

Totally unrealistic. Given that he is in decline, more so than Crosby, and has an $9.5 million cap hit next year, I would perhaps part with a 7th round draft pick for him. We're not a cup contender. His trade value will be at its peak at the deadline as it will be driven up by contenders, before falling considerably after the season.

If Rutherford left because he didn't want to stay the course with their big three stars, I don't think Hextall and Burke have any mandate or consent to trade these guys.

No way on Malkin!!!

Sid???? Hmmmmmmmmm...Probably cost more than Bernie Nicholls, Louie DeBrusk and Steven Rice....The Pens, would probably want Laf, Fox, Miller, and Chytil or a combo of them.

If the Avs get him, they'd have MacKinnon/Sid as their 1-2-punch up the middle....Wowza!!!

He had 74 points in 55 games last year...

I don't get where all of the "he is done" chatter comes from either. He has been over a point per game player since the 2011 season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/evgeni-malkin

While it is true that most forward's production do start to dip at around 34-35, you can't tell that he would not be a massive upgrade over Ryan Strome. If he could traded for something reasonable, and will to sign something like a 3 year 6 million extension, why wouldn't you want him to be part of that cup window the Rangers are aiming for?

I don't get where all of the "he is done" chatter comes from either. He has been over a point per game player since the 2011 season.

While it is true that most forward's production do start to dip at around 34-35, you can't tell that he would not be a massive upgrade over Ryan Strome. If he could traded for something reasonable, and will to sign something like a 3 year 6 million extension, why wouldn't you want him to be part of that cup window the Rangers are aiming for?

I don't think he fits this team, Muddy. He's going to be 35 this July, and I'm thinking by the time the "window" on this team truly opens, he'll be past his prime by a LOT. He was hardly moving the other night. He looked like a phantom of his former self...we already have that with Kreider! ;)

Sid's a different story...way different.

If we're gonna pay a king's ransom for a center, I'd like to see us go get Big Mac out in Colorado. That fucking guy can turn goat piss into gasoline! LOL

It'll never happen, but just think: Kakko/MacKinnon/Lafreniere :thumbs:

He had 74 points in 55 games last year...

Because done doesn't always mean in production. Dude takes weeks off at a time, and i dont mean skating around aimlessly which he does too sometimes. I mean every single year he takes a good 15+ games off out of the lineup for a multitude of things. Think he's played about 70+ games twice since 2011. Is that what we really need on our team? You think that will improve at 35 when he's already won and is now in Brighton Beach en joying retirement here? It's the worst lateral "Ranger" move ever.

Feb 20, 2020 Missed 1 game (illness).

Dec 17, 2019 Missed 2 games (illness).

Nov 01, 2019 Missed 11 games (leg injury).

Apr 04, 2019 Missed 8 games (upper body injury).

Feb 14, 2019 Missed 1 game (suspended by nhl).

Feb 11, 2019 Missed 5 games (upper body injury).

May 01, 2018 Missed the last 3 playoff games (leg injury).

Dec 01, 2017 Missed 4 games (upper body injury).

Apr 11, 2017 Missed the last 13 regular season games (shoulder injury).

Feb 14, 2017 Missed 7 games (lower body injury).

Apr 16, 2016 Missed the last 15 regular season and first playoff games (upper body injury).

Feb 27, 2016 Missed 10 games (lower body injury).

Apr 05, 2015 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).

Mar 28, 2015 Missed 6 games (lower body injury).

Feb 04, 2015 Missed 5 games (lower body injury).

Apr 16, 2014 Missed the last 11 regular season games (foot injury).

Jan 05, 2014 Missed 9 games (lower body injury).

Dec 09, 2013 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).

Apr 23, 2013 Missed 4 games (upper body injury).

Mar 28, 2013 Missed 9 games (upper body injury).

Mar 04, 2013 Missed 4 games (concussion).

Oct 25, 2011 Missed 5 games (knee injury).

Oct 13, 2011 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).