• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Portzline: Laine benched because he 'verbally disrespected' a coach

BrooksBurner

Mod Note:

Moving this out into its own thread because it's far more likely to generate a conversation not buried in a trade thread.

--

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Blue Jackets star forward Patrik Laine was benched during Monday’s win over Carolina because he “verbally disrespected” a member of the coaching staff, a source told The Athletic on Tuesday.

Laine didn’t play for the final 26:19, missing the entire third period in a tight game, but it wasn’t the result of his repeated defensive miscues.

Neither Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen nor coach John Tortorella would comment when reached by The Athletic. Laine’s agents, Mike Liut and Andy Scott, did not respond to requests for comment.

The Columbus Dispatch was the first to report Laine’s flare-up with a coach.

It’s unclear which coach had the interaction with Laine or if it was a single interaction or a series of events. Brad Larsen coaches the Blue Jackets’ forwards, while Brad Shaw coaches the defensemen. Those two, along with Tortorella, are on the bench during games.

The fact that Laine wasn’t benched until late in the second period suggests his punishment was in response to something that happened on the bench during the game, though that could not be confirmed.

https://theathletic.com/2378807/2021/02/09/blue-jackets-patrik-laine-benched-because-he-verbally-disrespected-a-coach/

--

Verbally disprecting a coach within a handful of games on a new team sounds like a recipe for success.

It's almost as if anyone with their pulse on Laine and Tortorella could have told you this was a match made in hell?

We really should start measuring Laine's time in Columbus in hockey Scaramuccis: [Jeff] Carters.

I think they can Torts. Can't have a black hole of a city that can't pull talent because the coach is a hardass.

*cough* TORTS COME BACK!!* cough*

Wait, so you guys are okay with a *NEW* player cursing out a coach on the bench?

Fuck no. I'd have benched him, too. I'm not excusing what Laine did, I'm pointing out how this was probably doomed to fail before it was ever even agreed to because of who Laine is. He's not and probably never will be a 200 foot player, a guy renowned for his work ethic, or someone you can rely on in his own end pretty much ever. You can't hide these glaring errors playing for Torts, who demands that everyone buy in.

Fuck no. I'd have benched him, too. I'm not excusing what Laine did, I'm pointing out how this was probably doomed to fail before it was ever even agreed to because of who Laine is. He's not and probably never will be a 200 foot player or a guy renowned for his work ethic. You can't hide that playing for Torts, who demands that everyone buy in.

Torts was just waiting to play the Alpha Male card.

Little guy needs to bark at the big dog.

I'd like to hear the convo. in-game hockey conversations are usually pretty disrespectful.

Fuck no. I'd have benched him, too. I'm not excusing what Laine did, I'm pointing out how this was probably doomed to fail before it was ever even agreed to because of who Laine is. He's not and probably never will be a 200 foot player, a guy renowned for his work ethic, or someone you can rely on in his own end pretty much ever. You can't hide these glaring errors playing for Torts, who demands that everyone buy in.
but to be clear, that's not why he was benched. Don't know why that's a discussion point for this thread.

pretty sure Maurice would have bench them for that kind of behavior, too.

Wait, so you guys are okay with a *NEW* player cursing out a coach on the bench?

Certainly not okay with that sort of conduct. Kind of shitty for a new guy to have the chutzpah to even talk back. What I meant was more so, between PLD and Laine; if both can't get along with the coach then eventually you have to look at the common denominator. Way too early to make that determination though.

Certainly not okay with that sort of conduct. Kind of shitty for a new guy to have the chutzpah to even talk back. What I meant was more so, between PLD and Laine; if both can't get along with the coach then eventually you have to look at the common denominator. Way too early to make that determination though.
What coach is going to get along with one player who quit on his team, and another player who cursed out another coach