Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Right. Let's just say we have a larger data set with Boudreau. Choose a guy that has steadfastly refused to win a Cup with any number of worthy teams and send him to NY to get chewed up and spit out? Wouldn't be my first instinct.
    Oh. You mean like that guy who coached the Rangers in 94? Another guy who couldn't get over that hump. You don't always have to pick the guy who already won. You can pick the guy that is due to win.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    You don't win until you win. A lot of guys that won early, like Bylsma and Crawford, weren't worth shit very quickly.

Look at Trotz.

Moderator Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Oh. You mean like that guy who coached the Rangers in 94? Another guy who couldn't get over that hump. You don't always have to pick the guy who already won. You can pick the guy that is due to win.
    Sorry. I live in DC and I loved him for winning the Southeast division 4 years running only to never get past the semis. It was fun to watch the pain and suffering all around me come springtime. But he couldn't motivate them Caps when he needed to and he wasn't very well regarded in DC. Hard for me to want that for the Rangers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Bob Hartley would be a lot of fun lol

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Panarini View Post
    Again, in a vacuum, sure. But let?s look at this team. Show me the structure, show me the system. Because if you say you can, I?m calling you a liar. There simply isn?t one.

This is not the environment you want to be developing two young, gifted offensive players. I expect guys like Panarin to wherever they go. That?s not unusual. The lack of growth from a guy like Kakko and the awful start by Laff is unusual.
    Vacuum? Funny.

What offensive gifts or dynamic skills have either of them shown to date at this level? They are way closer to having no clue as already pointed out.

I'm not even a Quinn guy but it would be great if every blue moon or so they drove the play with the puck on their stick.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You don't win until you win. A lot of guys that won early, like Bylsma and Crawford, weren't worth shit very quickly.

Look at Trotz.
    Winning is great but I think it’s only part of it. It’s also about having a clear cut focus and system. Having a philosophy that goes above holding only certain people responsible and rec league pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

Look at Trotz.
    Yeah, Trotz could have been that guy who did a good job but never won it all. (MacClellan sure thought he was. Oops.)

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To be fair, structure and system are defense. To be fair, structure and system are for defense. Offense should be free flowing. I don't put the fact that they're clueless when they have the puck on their sticks on Quinn.
    I always thought this as well. "Structure is for defending", and a "system" isn't an offensive strategy. I was always under the impression that offense was more for creativity, and talent. That, and also to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition.

Whenever I hear about "structure" or "system", I'm thinking the old "1-2-2", "man to man" or the "neutral zone trap" kinda stuff....not for offensive flow. In the offensive zone I don't think it's possible to play a "system". I can see, "don't pinch" or "don't get caught up ice". Usually I'll get the whole "Dump & Chase" or now it's "Chip & Chase", but I think the whole "Quinn doesn't have a system" thing is taken where it doesn't make sense to me.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I'll bet the Rangers are somewhere among the teams that have allowed the fewest shots on goal per game. Quinn was talking about how they held their "structure" together for 2 1/2 periods before they fucked the duck, so they must have some kinda system going on in there!

Every day with the wrong coach is one less day with the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    You know I luv ya like a brutha, my man, but what is it about Quinn that sets everyone off?

He says a lot of things that make sense, and I see him on the bench communicating well. He doesn't seem to be shitting on guys (on TV, anyway). I obviously have no clue what goes on behind the locker room door. Also seems like a fairly likeable dude. Some of his BU players really loved him, like Greenway: http://theathletic.com/293193/2018/0...tuck-st-marys/

Maybe I'm missing something? ...I dunno.

I'm curious, because you have a really good handle on this, and I keep thinking I'm not seeing the forest through the trees with this guy.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Kakko in May 2020, on a Finnish podcast: "Towards the end of the season I didn't really try anything special because if I tried something, then coach said Don't do this and don't do that". This is something nobody wants to hear coming from your elite prospects. I'm wondering if Laf is being held back from playing his game and trying to play the Quinnified hockey game.
    I see Josh already posted this quote in another thread. Oops.
    Last edited by CBrowningPI; 02-09-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Good Canadian Boy BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    You know I luv ya like a brutha, my man, but what is it about Quinn that sets everyone off?

He says a lot of things that make sense, and I see him on the bench communicating well. He doesn't seem to be shitting on guys (on TV, anyway). I obviously have no clue what goes on behind the locker room door. Also seems like a fairly likeable dude. Some of his BU players really loved him, like Greenway: http://theathletic.com/293193/2018/0...tuck-st-marys/

I'm curious, because you have a really good handle on this, and I keep thinking I'm not seeing the forest through the trees with this guy.
    Look at how they play. That's all you need to know.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    Kakko in May 2020, on a Finnish podcast: "Towards the end of the season I didn't really try anything special because if I tried something, then coach said Don't do this and don't do that". This is something nobody wants to hear coming from your elite prospects. I'm wondering if Laf is being held back from playing his game and trying to play the Quinnified hockey game.
    I see Josh already posted this quote in another thread. Oops.
    Towards the end of the season"...Kakko was the worst player in the NHL. He shouldn't have been trying to do anything special. He was awful, and that's why the coach was telling him to simplify.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post

What I see on the ice, or lack there of. No system, inconsistent play, constant line juggling, no actual philosophy or game plan, trying to fit square pegs in some players into round holes, how we look like a team in a rec league, never playing a 60 minute game, “can’t miss prospects” that are missing wildly, guys used in questionable roles, and accountability only for certain players. And everything I said above you can say at any point during the last three years sans last February really and it remains true so it’s not the roster in my opinion. It’s him.

He’s a college coach. No problem with that, but he’s currently coaching an NHL team. He’s in way over his head.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Towards the end of the season"...Kakko was the worst player in the NHL. He shouldn't have been trying to do anything special. He was awful, and that's why the coach was telling him to simplify.
    How do you know Quinn told him/them to just simplify. Like don't stick handle and carry the puck. It's the reason they were drafted high. Because of their puck skills and play making ability. Take Howden as an example. He came on the team and looked fairly offensively gifted and now he's Fast 2.0. Simplifying gifted players sounds a little counter- intuitive to me.

Senior Member Midget Division
    What I see on the ice, or lack there of. No system, inconsistent play, constant line juggling, no actual philosophy or game plan, trying to fit square pegs in some players into round holes, how we look like a team in a rec league, never playing a 60 minute game, “can’t miss prospects” that are missing wildly, guys used in questionable roles, and accountability only for certain players. And everything I said above you can say at any point during the last three years sans last February really and it remains true so it’s not the roster in my opinion. It’s him.

He’s a college coach. No problem with that, but he’s currently coaching an NHL team. He’s in way over his head.
    Last night there was no line juggling. Kakko played 17 minutes on the second line. They ran into a hot goalie and, as a young team team, got crushed and lost their steam when the Isles scored. This was a growing pains game.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Last night there was no line juggling. Kakko played 17 minutes on the second line. They ran into a hot goalie and, as a young team team, got crushed and lost their steam when the Isles scored. This was a growing pains game.
    yepp.

I was also thinking if Zibanajad had 2-3 more goals this season this team also probably has 2-3 more wins. This starts and ends with the vets- no rookie is going to perform well when the vets arent.
    Last edited by So Nashty; 02-09-2021 at 01:56 PM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    How do you know Quinn told him/them to just simplify. Like don't stick handle and carry the puck. It's the reason they were drafted high. Because of their puck skills and play making ability. Take Howden as an example. He came on the team and looked fairly offensively gifted and now he's Fast 2.0. Simplifying gifted players sounds a little counter- intuitive to me.
    When you're statistically the worst forward in the league, you shouldn't be dangling.

Any player will tell you to simplify your game during a slump.

Alright....I get where you're going.

I see the line juggling, and inconsistent play for sure. I think one feeds the other in that sort!
    I know I'd start shifting guys around to get a spark, if I was coaching (Thank god I'm not!!!) LOL

I look at Trotz though; The Isles have a playoff/Stanley Cup contending team and they had the same record as us going into last night's game. Their 4th line stepped up and won that game with some tough play and hard work. They basically waited for the Rangers to make a mistake, and they did. That's experience to me, Big K...not so much coaching. But we can differ on that...no worries.

I guess it's more the fact that I'm a "defense first" kinda guy, and I see them playing a fairly well designed defensive style that keeps teams at bay, and pressures the puck carriers when in our own zone.

I know, go figure...I'm an offensive player my whole life and I like a "defense first" coach!! I'm fucking crazy though, so there's that!!! LOL

Not necessarily. Every day with the wrong coach could just be one less day with the other wrong one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast