• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth it for the GIF alone.

But in all seriousness, I'd consider it if only for the offense. Bruce unlocks scoring like an XBox achievement and this team needs more out of Lafreniere and Kakko. He'd probably have Fox in Norris contention by the points alone.

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I really would like to see Quinn get a good chance with this squad. It's not like we're stuck with him. The Rangers can cut him loose at any time, but I just have a gut feeling if we give him at least the rest of this season, we're going to see some really excellent progress out of a lot of these guys.

I realize he gets killed for Kakko and Laffy at times, but he's been pretty good with Miller and Chytil...

I just think these young guns are going to "get it" at their own pace, and I can't make Quinn the whipping boy for everything. He'll make some questionable decisions at times, sure. I just think that's part of him learning the team, and the chemistry of the guys.

I may change my mind down the road on him, but I just would like to see what he can do this year with these kids...it's still only 10 games in.

Well, he's definitely not going anywhere during the season. It's also too bad it's not a full 82 game season because a lot of these rookies and young players could use is. But, if the production isn't great after year is over, I think you have to make a decision. JD is the President and Quinn was not his pick, he wasn't here and didn't have a say. So, it's something that bears watching anyway.

Well, he's definitely not going anywhere during the season. It's also too bad it's not a full 82 game season because a lot of these rookies and young players could use is. But, if the production isn't great after year is over, I think you have to make a decision. JD is the President and Quinn was not his pick, he wasn't here and didn't have a say. So, it's something that bears watching anyway.

I totally get that one, Sharpy. I can dig that, but at least we'll get a 56 game look at where we are....instead of just 10 with this nucleus. I can't count last year because, well...it's kind of really a whole different feel. I think the team we have now is going to be the "core" of where we're going. But we'll see...no rose colored glasses either, I promise. If he sucks, I'll join ya!! ...matter of fact, I'll get the guillotine!! ;)

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I really would like to see Quinn get a good chance with this squad. It's not like we're stuck with him. The Rangers can cut him loose at any time, but I just have a gut feeling if we give him at least the rest of this season, we're going to see some really excellent progress out of a lot of these guys.

I realize he gets killed for Kakko and Laffy at times, but he's been pretty good with Miller and Chytil...

I just think these young guns are going to "get it" at their own pace, and I can't make Quinn the whipping boy for everything. He'll make some questionable decisions at times, sure. I just think that's part of him learning the team, and the chemistry of the guys.

I may change my mind down the road on him, but I just would like to see what he can do this year with these kids...it's still only 10 games in.

So, I do not agree with that progress is at our doorsteps, but I'm going to breakaway from that for a moment to say:

Nothing of what DQ does has any sort of systematic reasoning or rationale, for the most part. He isn't coaching or installing a system that players are adjusting to and the challenge is to get them playing the game within his parameters (ala JT Miller/AV), he simply does not coach with intent strategically speaking. They're free form jazz with a bunch of low level orchestral players, and a handful of guys who can sell out the Lincoln Center.

• Like 1

Right. Choose a guy that has steadfastly refused to win a Cup with any number of worthy teams and send him to NY to get chewed up and spit out. Wouldn't be my first instinct.

1. Welcome to the NHL. This is how coaching works.

2. If you're thinking big picture/long term, you're thinking about the kids who are the foundation of this team, and who need some offensive structure to feed off of.

3. DARN!!!

Am I missing something?

Bruce Boudreaux is a jackass. He's one of those coaches who succeeds only when his teams are stacked and even then success is only 82 games long. He has no history with rebuilding teams. He has no championship pedigree. In fact every time he's hired, I'm shocked.

Also they're not gonna fire David Quinn when the team is actually looking good. They'll fire him when they're ready to make the playoffs/make a run and when that becomes the case, Boudreaux is last on my list.

I just don't get any sense that Quinn is in trouble.

He's the embodiment of everything this franchise loves. The anti-Canadian style, Prep School educated, upper crust, uber-principled, blue blood. They've been waiting for this guy. I think he's got a lot of leash left.

He's the embodiment of everything this franchise loves. The anti-Canadian style, Prep School educated, upper crust, uber-principled, blue blood. They've been waiting for this guy. I think he's got a lot of leash left.

I think you're right, at least about the part that he isn't in trouble. This isn't a real season, it's COVID clusterfuck. There would have to be some kind of verifiable malfeasance to unload Quinn during abnormal world. Not only that, but Gorton is going to buy him at least one shiny new toy after unloading the Smith contract and the Hank/Shatty buyout money. If he crashes Dad's super fancy 21-22 model Rangers, he's out. But I doubt very much he's going anywhere before then.

(But go ahead and try to tell the "blue-bloods" that an Irish Catholic jock with a pronounced Boston accent and a tendency to repeat the same cliches over and over again is one of them. The blue bloods let the jocks into prep school for a reason, but it isn't to be one of them.)

yeah we have a lot of 9 minute kakko and lafreniere, 15min Phillip Di Giuseppe games left

• Like 1

Am I missing something?

Bruce Boudreaux is a jackass. He's one of those coaches who succeeds only when his teams are stacked and even then success is only 82 games long. He has no history with rebuilding teams. He has no championship pedigree. In fact every time he's hired, I'm shocked.

Also they're not gonna fire David Quinn when the team is actually looking good. They'll fire him when they're ready to make the playoffs/make a run and when that becomes the case, Boudreaux is last on my list.

Huh? He made a name for himself being an extremely good AHL coach and literally every team he touches he turns them into an offensively good squad. He won the Jack Adams Award with a very young capitals team too.

Do I think Bruce is perfect, or for that matter will win us a cup? No I do not. I think he will install a more potent offense and help get the young talent we have to come out of their shell.

And Quinn absolutely has his job on the line. Maybe it?s not this off-season, but if he starts slow or similar next year, he won?t be here.

I think this team never goes anywhere with Quinn at the helm. Honestly, if nothing else, I’d think the ADA debacle shows how little of a grip he actually has on things and what’s going on with the team. Let’s not even forget he’s gone, NOT because of Quinn, but because of Gortons ultimatum.

I said it in another thread but I really would be very intrigued by Babcock. I know what his past is, but I also think he had enough time to rethink his legacy and coaches do evolve, like Torts sort of did. Not saying I’d definitely want him but he would really intrigue me for a guy with structure and commands respect

Other guys?

Boudreau

Bylsma

Sutter

Gallant

Hitchcock

Am I missing something?

Yea, he was not good in Minny.

The whole point of Boudreau is to unlock offense. Just like he did for countless players for the Wild, including who we were convinced was an utterly broken down Eric Staal, who went from 6 points in 20 games with the Rangers (0.30 P/GP) to 65 points in 82 games (0.79) and 76 points in 82 games (0.93) in back-to-back years under Bruce.

Similar spikes? Mikhail Granlund from 44 points to a team-leading 69. Nino Neiderreiter 43 to 57 (4th on team). Charlie Coyle 42 to 56. Spurgeon went from 29 to 38. Dumba from 26 to 34. Even 34-year-old Jason Pominville went from 36 to 47.

I don't have the numbers right next to me, but I'm willing to bet this is a fact everywhere he went. The reason teams hire him is to unlock offense.

Now, look at Kakko and Lafreniere and tell me they wouldn't benefit immensely from playing for Bruce instead of Quinn. Same for Gauthier, Chytil, and others. This team is designed to play Boudreau hockey, not Quinn hockey. Quinn belongs coaching the current Wild squad with Fiala, Bjugstad, Greenway, Foligno, etc.

• Like 1

I think this team never goes anywhere with Quinn at the helm. Honestly, if nothing else, I’d think the ADA debacle shows how little of a grip he actually has on things and what’s going on with the team. Let’s not even forget he’s gone, NOT because of Quinn, but because of Gortons ultimatum.

I said it in another thread but I really would be very intrigued by Babcock. I know what his past is, but I also think he had enough time to rethink his legacy and coaches do evolve, like Torts sort of did. Not saying I’d definitely want him but he would really intrigue me for a guy with structure and commands respect

Other guys?

Boudreau

Bylsma

Sutter

Gallant

Hitchcock

This team, coming off of ADA, has absolutely no business courting Mike Babcock. They're living a PR nightmare, or were. They're not stupid enough to walk head-first into another. Everyone else, fine. Not Mike. His half life is still raging.

This team, coming off of ADA, has absolutely no business courting Mike Babcock. They're living a PR nightmare, or were. They're not stupid enough to walk head-first into another. Everyone else, fine. Not Mike. His half life is still raging.

I can get that, but for the accountability and redemption of himself it would be an interesting interview. Of that list, I personally wouldn’t mind Bylsma for his work with a young Pitt and got immediate results.