• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Peetie said that it's unlikely management would get rid of team in this COVID affected season and all the underperforming players, and I tend to agree...but how much worse would it have to get for JD/Gorton to seriously consider pulling the trigger on a change? I mean surely the team can't be all that far from that point. Another couple weeks (~10 games) of this perhaps?

I know Peetie said that it's unlikely management would get rid of team in this COVID affected season and all the underperforming players, and I tend to agree...but how much worse would it have to get for JD/Gorton to seriously consider pulling the trigger on a change? I mean surely the team can't be all that far from that point. Another couple weeks (~10 games) of this perhaps?
Depends on how long Panarin is out, Miller is out, Zib MIA... I don't think a new coach changes any of that.

I'm ready to pull the plug, but not because I expect more wins. Maybe more from Kakko and Laf, and not having to read it every post of every thread LOL.

Everyone should be ready to pull the plug because what we accomplished last year was basically over a 6 or so week period in two sections of the season. The rest.......since three seasons ago, has been deja vu all over again regardless of personnel. The only constant is our clueless coach imo.

We have a high skill team. We try to play like a bunch of lunch pail go to work players. This is why the usual “best players” are guys like PDG, Blackwell, or whoever fits into that mold (Fast). That’s an inducement on the coach. He has no experience. No fall back on ideology. So you have a guy that is too scared to let the team he has be the team he has and instead tries to mold them into the team he feels is harder to win against. Problem is, we aren’t the 2006 hard hitting bruising type team no one wants to play. We are closer to a high scoring give up 3 but score 6 team. A coach with experience embraces that and says let’s blow them out. A coach scared to coach in this league says what Quinn does......

We will never go anywhere with him.

Everyone should be ready to pull the plug because what we accomplished last year was basically over a 6 or so week period in two sections of the season. The rest.......since three seasons ago, has been deja vu all over again regardless of personnel. The only constant is our clueless coach imo.

We have a high skill team. We try to play like a bunch of lunch pail go to work players. This is why the usual “best players” are guys like PDG, Blackwell, or whoever fits into that mold (Fast). That’s an inducement on the coach. He has no experience. No fall back on ideology. So you have a guy that is too scared to let the team he has be the team he has and instead tries to mold them into the team he feels is harder to win against. Problem is, we aren’t the 2006 hard hitting bruising type team no one wants to play. We are closer to a high scoring give up 3 but score 6 team. A coach with experience embraces that and says let’s blow them out. A coach scared to coach in this league says what Quinn does......

Yes and no. The team actually has a ton of go-to-work players. The problem is they're very low ceiling go-to-work players, and their best, or the one they pay to be the best — Kreider — is as reliable as a cheesecloth condom. It's why if the skilled guys don't carry the team, his team loses more often than they win. He/they have no reliable soldiers to fall back on, which after three years, regardless of a flat cap, is just a terrible thing to say about a guy who is renowned for his ability to recruit and build highly-effective soldiers (Bowers, Tkachuk, Greenway, Grzelcyk, Bellows, Fabbro, etc). Is that on the GM? I have no idea. But it reflects really poorly on Quinn.

I want this guy to succeed. He just really isn't, and it's mind-boggling that he's failing to at least build his own army of loyal soldiers.

i dont think the guy we want is available at the moment. not a quinn fan. thought we took the eakins approach in that we brought in all this young talent and he would be a teacher. all well and good but he's not teaching in boston anymore, he's teaching in the nhl.

i want no part of BB. Guys a meathead and everything in my mind this sport needs to get away from.

Martin has done a good job with the youth on this team. track record is not bad with him in the drivers seat and while he's on stanley twice he never got there as the HQ.

unless JD knows something regarding upcoming HQ talent theres not a lot available that blows your sox's off.

it's easy to sit back and scream for names but especially in this environment no one knows what's going on behind the scenes, larry included. at this point i'd rather make a deal for a grizzled locker room vet than move the coach and i'm no quinn fan.

growing pains. next year is the year we need to be complaining about if we continue to struggle.

keep the faith.

Wonder if JD is waiting for Tortarella to get canned by CBJ. Have no real insight, just seems odd that exactly when Quinn is making a mess Torts is rumored to be trying to get fired. By the same token though, the defense first shot blocking thing might not be a good fit for a high skill bunch of forwards. No matter what this team needs way more go to the net offensively.

Wonder if JD is waiting for Tortarella to get canned by CBJ. Have no real insight, just seems odd that exactly when Quinn is making a mess Torts is rumored to be trying to get fired. By the same token though, the defense first shot blocking thing might not be a good fit for a high skill bunch of forwards. No matter what this team needs way more go to the net offensively.
Where is there a rumor Torts is trying to get fired?

Isn't this recency bias? Last year the best players were Panarin, Zib, ADA, Fox... High skill players.

This year Panarin leads the team in points and Buch (another skill guy) had been the best forward until 3-4 games ago and Fox our best D.

Again, not against replacing Quinn, but Zib is light-years a bigger problem and it's not even close. You can replace Quinn, but if you don't have a #1C and guys like Krieder and Trouba (who have had some success under Quinn) are playing this way... It's not going to matter.

Depends on how long Panarin is out, Miller is out, Zib MIA... I don't think a new coach changes any of that.

I'm ready to pull the plug, but not because I expect more wins. Maybe more from Kakko and Laf, and not having to read it every post of every thread LOL.

Im not a Quinn hater, but if getting rid of him makes me not have to read that you have to read about him getting fired all the time, that would be nice ;)

Im trying hard to find some positives about Quinn and his coaching. Last season he was credited for Mika's amazing season, Panarin's MVP season, ADA had a really good season and that Fox played really well, but was that really on him?

This season Mika is shit, Kreider is shit, Panarin been decent, but not at his best, Buch was good at the beginning, then he had a couple bad games and Quinn puts him on the 3rd line. I won't go in on the ADA story, but thats also a part of this.

So this year he's struggling to get anything out of our "veteran stars" (Mika, Kreider, Trouba, "Panarin"). So lets look at the young guys:

Lafreniere - Horrible. Not played all too bad, but he just looks lost. Skates around in the wrong areas, bumping into teammates and just dont know what to do. Thats on the coach.

Kakko - Looks a lot better this season, but I cant really credit Quinn for a lot of this. He was horrible last year and we barely saw any progression. Now he's had some months in Finland and he looks like another player. Coincidence? I think not. And even if he plays good, he's not putting up the points. I think Quinn needs to take some responsiblity for that aswell. Moves him around the lineup every game and there's no real system in the offense.

Chytil - Looked really good before the injury.

Howden - I just cant take it anymore. 0 goals in 15 games, still playing every game on the 3rd line. He's horrible. Quinn still loves him, but cant get ANYTHING out of this kid.

Fox - He's a stud. Was that before we got him and just keeps getting better. Props to Quinn for giving him the ice-time to learn. Quinn deserves some credit here, but Fox would've been a stud even if I was coaching this team.

Miller - Looks good, nothing to say on Quinn here. Have used him well.

What has Quinn done to deserve to still be the coach? Where's the positives? I see a lot of negatives, but Im struggling to see any positives at the moment to be honest.

I’m not a Quinn hater either but you have to admit;

-them coming out flat every game is concerning

-in game decisions are just weird at times

-the fact that face offs still haven’t been addressed on a major level (wasn’t associate gm Chris drury pretty good at them?)

-I’m not the best person to ask about systems but if everyone is struggling perhaps this system is just not the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Im not a Quinn hater, but if getting rid of him makes me not have to read that you have to read about him getting fired all the time, that would be nice ;)

Im trying hard to find some positives about Quinn and his coaching. Last season he was credited for Mika's amazing season, Panarin's MVP season, ADA had a really good season and that Fox played really well, but was that really on him?

This season Mika is shit, Kreider is shit, Panarin been decent, but not at his best, Buch was good at the beginning, then he had a couple bad games and Quinn puts him on the 3rd line. I won't go in on the ADA story, but thats also a part of this.

So this year he's struggling to get anything out of our "veteran stars" (Mika, Kreider, Trouba, "Panarin"). So lets look at the young guys:

Lafreniere - Horrible. Not played all too bad, but he just looks lost. Skates around in the wrong areas, bumping into teammates and just dont know what to do. Thats on the coach.

Kakko - Looks a lot better this season, but I cant really credit Quinn for a lot of this. He was horrible last year and we barely saw any progression. Now he's had some months in Finland and he looks like another player. Coincidence? I think not. And even if he plays good, he's not putting up the points. I think Quinn needs to take some responsiblity for that aswell. Moves him around the lineup every game and there's no real system in the offense.

Chytil - Looked really good before the injury.

Howden - I just cant take it anymore. 0 goals in 15 games, still playing every game on the 3rd line. He's horrible. Quinn still loves him, but cant get ANYTHING out of this kid.

Fox - He's a stud. Was that before we got him and just keeps getting better. Props to Quinn for giving him the ice-time to learn. Quinn deserves some credit here, but Fox would've been a stud even if I was coaching this team.

Miller - Looks good, nothing to say on Quinn here. Have used him well.

What has Quinn done to deserve to still be the coach? Where's the positives? I see a lot of negatives, but Im struggling to see any positives at the moment to be honest.

Agree with a lot of this, but I've seen the Kakko "got away from Quinn" comment a few times and wanted to address that.

He had 18 years in Finland before coming here and still was trash. It's not Quinn's fault Kakko is an underweight kid who can't skate and was homesick.

Glad he's doing better now. Last night may have been his best overall game as a Ranger.

I’m not a Quinn hater either but you have to admit;

-them coming out flat every game is concerning

-in game decisions are just weird at times

-the fact that face offs still haven’t been addressed on a major level (wasn’t associate gm Chris drury pretty good at them?)

-I’m not the best person to ask about systems but if everyone is struggling perhaps this system is just not the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes.

Yes.

Drury is AGM not faceoffs coach. He already has a job. ;-)

There is no discernable system.

This is the crux of it. I actually quite like the guy. He seems like a decent dude. But I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why he should be the coach. Why he should be given the benefit of the doubt? Some people run with the "he's a young coach, hopefully he grows with the team", but I'm yet to hear anyone lay out what it is exactly that we're waiting for. He's been here 3 years and there has been virtually no development from a team perspective. The only actual development from a coaching perspective is this years play in the defensive zone, which is hard to give him credit for given it perfectly aligns with Martin coming in.

I've said it for a while, we're in a holding pattern with this guy in charge. I've seen literally nothing to suggest he's capable of setting up an NHL team to contend.

I'd get on the horn to Gallant personally. He took a bunch of castoffs that nobody gave a chance in hell, devised a system that suited them, made sure guys knew exactly what was expected of them and had them performing miles above their station. It's basically yin to Quinns yang.

Agree with a lot of this, but I've seen the Kakko "got away from Quinn" comment a few times and wanted to address that.

He had 18 years in Finland before coming here and still was trash. It's not Quinn's fault Kakko is an underweight kid who can't skate and was homesick.

Glad he's doing better now. Last night may have been his best overall game as a Ranger.

Well, he was seen as the 2nd best player in the world after the 18 years in Finland.

He got here and met Quinn and all of a sudden had no idea how to play hockey. Ofcourse he was small and slow and didnt look good, and most of that was on him, but when we now see the exact same thing with one of the most talked about #1 OA picks in some years, then you have to look at other things than just the player.

This is the crux of it. I actually quite like the guy. He seems like a decent dude. But I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why he should be the coach. Why he should be given the benefit of the doubt? Some people run with the "he's a young coach, hopefully he grows with the team", but I'm yet to hear anyone lay out what it is exactly that we're waiting for. He's been here 3 years and there has been virtually no development from a team perspective. The only actual development from a coaching perspective is this years play in the defensive zone, which is hard to give him credit for given it perfectly aligns with Martin coming in.

I've said it for a while, we're in a holding pattern with this guy in charge. I've seen literally nothing to suggest he's capable of setting up an NHL team to contend.

I'd get on the horn to Gallant personally. He took a bunch of castoffs that nobody gave a chance in hell, devised a system that suited them, made sure guys knew exactly what was expected of them and had them performing miles above their station. It's basically yin to Quinns yang.

Agree with a lot of this. Was happy to have him grow into role, but he hasn't grown.

I don't really buy into the "he's trying to force them to play a certain way", I don't think he's trying to get them to play ANY way, at all. That's why they all look like strangers and have bad habits like forwards dropping too low in the D zone. Conversely, they have no good habits because he's not reinforcing anything.

He really was just relying on skill players and talent, but that's not there right now.

Gallant I'm on the fence about. There's something about him that's wearing at his welcome even when he's having success. Also that Vegas team was loaded with talent, it wasn't your normal expansion team.

Well, he was seen as the 2nd best player in the world after the 18 years in Finland.

He got here and met Quinn and all of a sudden had no idea how to play hockey. Ofcourse he was small and slow and didnt look good, and most of that was on him, but when we now see the exact same thing with one of the most talked about #1 OA picks in some years, then you have to look at other things than just the player.

Kakko was the 2nd best player in the WORLD? You sure about that?