• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Officiating is Garbage: Example #1209841

CBJ-CAR game is tied 3-3 with 1:15 left in the 2nd. Trocheck scores for Carolina. Columbus challenges for offside, and the refs said the goal counts. Columbus has to kill a penalty for the failed challenge. So they kill off the first 1:15 of the penalty and go to intermission. The 3rd period starts and the penalty is gone. During the intermission the NHL determined the play was offside and instead of taking the goal away, they decided to just remove the remaining 45 seconds of the penalty.

Here's the video of the saga:

Here's the view of the offisde:

k1t3lgwqo4g61.jpg

The official word from the NHL was that a "miscommunication occurred" leading the refs to look at the wrong replay.

Tweet:

It's unbelievable that a) this could happen and b) they let the goal stand.

Columbus went on to lose 6-5.

That was really bad. The linesmen couldn't tell that the video replay they were seeing clearly wasn't the play that they should have been reviewing?! On the disputed goal, the Carolina player clearly was carrying the puck into the zone. On the replay they were sent, the Carolina player dumped the puck in.

Yup. So get rid of the stupid ass rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not an old man but my take is an old man yelling at the clouds kind of take:

remove the ability to make calls via replay

The only thing that makes sense is a soccer style VAR system that decides if the puck actually goes in the net. Everything else, get rid of it! I don't care if the guy is offside by 1/2 an inch. If it's goalie interference, call it on the ice. That's the whole point of having a referee. Yeah, sometimes they miss shit. That's part of the game.

Having replay opens yourself up to THIS kind of bullshit. You can't have replay and STILL get the ruling wrong. It defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Get rid of it all. Tell me if the puck went in the net. That's it.

I'm not an old man but my take is an old man yelling at the clouds kind of take:

remove the ability to make calls via replay

The only thing that makes sense is a soccer style VAR system that decides if the puck actually goes in the net. Everything else, get rid of it! I don't care if the guy is offside by 1/2 an inch. If it's goalie interference, call it on the ice. That's the whole point of having a referee. Yeah, sometimes they miss shit. That's part of the game.

Having replay opens yourself up to THIS kind of bullshit. You can't have replay and STILL get the ruling wrong. It defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Get rid of it all. Tell me if the puck went in the net. That's it.

That's pretty much what we have. What I think you're advocating is the goal line judge stuff various soccer leagues use. But that's only possible because the ball has a chip in it.

I think eventually we'll get there with the NHL, but they're still having trouble manufacturing the pucks correctly, so it's still probably a ways out.

That's pretty much what we have. What I think you're advocating is the goal line judge stuff various soccer leagues use. But that's only possible because the ball has a chip in it.

I think eventually we'll get there with the NHL, but they're still having trouble manufacturing the pucks correctly, so it's still probably a ways out.

Right. I'm just talking about the puck crossing the line. everything else should be non-reviewable.