• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bitetto Brotherhood

Phil

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they got lucky and found that glue guy that all good teams have with Bitetto. He seems like a great guy to have around and his solid play has been spectacular lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He’a like one of those feel good players u like to have when you are a bottom feeder, but once you become serious team with aspirations, you dump him cause he sucks in reality

He's been surprisingly good. He makes the simple play and is definitely serviceable. Reminds me of Doug Lister. Nothing to get excited about but does his job night in night out. When you compare him to a guy like Jack Johnson it's night and day. For the life of me I don't understand what they see in Johnson. You notice him almost every shift for all the wrong reasons. Bitetto you wouldn't notice ever unless you were purposely watching him. Of course other than that insane goal he scored.

He's been surprisingly good. He makes the simple play and is definitely serviceable. Reminds me of Doug Lister. Nothing to get excited about but does his job night in night out. When you compare him to a guy like Jack Johnson it's night and day. For the life of me I don't understand what they see in Johnson. You notice him almost every shift for all the wrong reasons. Bitetto you wouldn't notice ever unless you were purposely watching him. Of course other than that insane goal he scored.

I disagree. I think he’s a borderline NHLer, a 7th D at best

Historically that's what he's been but so far for the Rangers he's filled in above that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because the organization is in his blood. Its like one of us is playing. Thats what makes him the perfect glue guy for this team. Not sure if it will happen with COVID, but I hope his mom gets to go on a mom's trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He doesnt do any of that lol. It's just trying to force a feel good story after the mess of the ADA situation. Hes had a few decent games, scored a nice goal, but he's not transforming anything.

You know what, would be some awesome glue? Zibanejad scoring, ALF starting to take over, and Kreider to start his reappearance. All happened yesterday so let's hope it's a start.

To be fair, we don't know what Bitetto does in the room but numerous players have talked about his energy on the bench.

Not everything is about ADA. Safe to say the team has collectively moved on, and we should, too.

Well, im not trying to bring it to ADA at all for the record. I just think obviously the Rangers are looking for a good story out of this considering the recent past right before he played. Thats all. The players rarely are going to ever not say something positive about anyone if asked "What has Bitetto brought since his insertion in the lineup" so yeah.

Either way, nice journeyman local kid getting a chance.

He doesnt do any of that lol. It's just trying to force a feel good story after the mess of the ADA situation. Hes had a few decent games, scored a nice goal, but he's not transforming anything.

You know what, would be some awesome glue? Zibanejad scoring, ALF starting to take over, and Kreider to start his reappearance. All happened yesterday so let's hope it's a start.

Eh, I think every good team has their Jed Ortmeyer or whatever who does just enough to be an on-ice presence but whose true value is stuff like that. For what it's worth Bitetto's been serviceable - he's stepped onto the ice and hasn't really been on the wrong end of too many high danger chances (opponents shooting 7.5% against, which is better than average). That's impressive, especially considering his partner is Libor Hajek.

At the end of the day with someone like Bitetto, anything you get is good. But I think Blueshirts Breakaway said it best - what the fuck kind of season would you think we're having if I had told you we just won a game against the Flyers in which Colin Blackwell scored a powerplay goal with the primary assist going to Anthony Bitetto? That happened. Yeah, it'd be better if it was more like yesterday, where our bigger guns went to work, ALF, Strome, and Panarin were the sparks - sure.

Let's just be happy we get to see a local kid live his dream and do it at a rate that lets him hold down a spot. It's a good story, and we're fine with him on the third pair (and apparently special teams).

In my opinion the tda issue was handled poorly by everybody involved but that has nothing to do with bitteto other than giving him the opportunity. If any injury was the reason for opportunity nothing would be said we would just the players game. Up to this point his game has been surprising adequate. Nothing to get excited about but I’m also not desperately looking for his replacement. He’s the furthest thing from the problems this team has experienced

• Like 1

I agree that every player has a role and you do need the pluggers especially in the fwd ranks because they allow your best players to focus on being your best players rather than the mundane work. Can’t all be the same dimension. I just think specifically to say Bitetto himself is bringing the team together is a bit of a stretch. It could be part of it but he hasn’t been some revelation. He’s been decent. A few good games mixed in with a few not so good games. Brings a decent energy and probably positive vibes since he’s just happy to specifically be here.

I think though the glue we are talking about, comes from getting on a roll with wins. That smoothes out imperfections a ton more than everything else. Ortmeyers glue mostly came to me because of the Jags, Straka, Nylander of the world but I do understand your point.

100% agree with getting to see a local guy with pride putting on our sweater

In my opinion the tda issue was handled poorly by everybody involved but that has nothing to do with bittedo other than giving him the opportunity. If any injury was the reason for opportunity nothing would be said we would just the players game. Up to this point his game has been surprising adequate. Nothing to get excited about but I’m also not desperately looking for his replacement. He’s the furthest thing from the problems this team has experienced

Great post and welcome to the site

In my opinion the tda issue was handled poorly by everybody involved but that has nothing to do with bitteto other than giving him the opportunity. If any injury was the reason for opportunity nothing would be said we would just the players game. Up to this point his game has been surprising adequate. Nothing to get excited about but I’m also not desperately looking for his replacement. He’s the furthest thing from the problems this team has experienced
Bitetto did get his opportunity due to an injury, JJ's injury.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Bitetto is exactly what he is: A depth defenseman that's a bit of a spark plug. You can plug him in and he can play solid D, PK and even on the PP in a pinch. He's a guy that won't hurt us, and that's value right there in my opinion.

I don't expect him to be a Fox or Miller. He's a very solid complimentary depth player in my eyes, and he's really fun to root for....especially because he brings that energy a team can build momentum with during a game. He should breath on Kreider!!! ;)

You need your 6th/7th Dman to not be a problem, and he hasn't been a problem. Should he get a 5 year deal with a full no move? no. Is it cool to see a local guy who sounds like he'd argue with Mike Francessa about the Rainjuhs actually play for the team and do fairly well, fuck yeah it is

Sounds like Brendan Smith a little bit...

I actually like Brendan Smith, but I just don't like that contract. Those type deals are the ones I'd like to see us get away from....then we get Trouba's deal....:doh:

I like what Josh said, "role player"...kinda what I was alluding to with "depth defenseman". He's not going to win you any games, the trick is to have guys that don't LOSE them for us!! ;)

Why? Glue unites the team. Glue helps set the tone. Leads by example of hard work.

He's not the MVP or leading scorer or top pair D. He brings the players together.

What makes you think he’s the one who brings players together. Sounds like pure speculation.

Plus, if a 7th D journeyman is your team’s “glue”, team has real deep issues.

What makes you think he’s the one who brings players together. Sounds like pure speculation.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/anthony-bitetto-waited-whole-life-for-this-rangers-chance/

His vivacious personality and thick New York accent have been a part of his charm throughout his entire hockey career. It was the first thing Jeff Blashill, now head coach of the Red Wings, noticed when he traded for Bitetto during the 2008-09 season while he was coach and general manager of the United States Hockey League’s Indiana Ice.

“Right away, he was able to integrate himself with his teammates, because of who he was as a person,” Blashill said. “And then he played hard and he brought some physicality to our team.

“Then he brought that great big personality and fun-loving — but competitive. He was a great addition to the team.”

The Indiana Ice won the Clark Cup during that 2008-09 season and Blashill said Bitetto was a key piece in the team’s success. He had an impact on the ice, but an even bigger influence in the locker room.

Bitetto has been a leader on nearly every team he’s played on. When Jim Madigan became the head coach of Northeastern in 2011 during Bitetto’s sophomore year, he recognized how much the team loved and respected him.

There was a passion that Bitetto brought to the game that his Huskies teammates and Madigan knew was worthy of the alternate captain title.

It has been just a few short weeks, but Bitetto has brought to the Rangers the leadership, passion and joy that carried him to the NHL. It has come through even stronger this time around, for his childhood team.

Feel free to watch countless interviews since he entered the lineup. If a 7th D journeyman is your team’s “glue”, team has real deep issues? Why? Being a glue guy isn't about being the leading scorer, or a minute eating shut down D man. This is about who Bitetto is as a person, how he carries himself, and all of those intangibles that you can't teach are magnified by the fact that he is a Ranger.

That's not true. The glue guys are often players who play lower down the lineup or are extras.