• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

M.I.A. Zibanejad?

Keirik

It's a shame too, if he were even what he was most of his career I'd be comfortable keeping him considering he probably signs for a bit less with covid cap around and takes the security. He's just been so awful though that if he ends up with a 10 goal 20 assist season it would be considered a step up from what he's doing now and then we start getting into the guessing game of which is the real Ziby.

He's still got one more year left on his deal after this season, Big K....Zib's been a good player for us, just not this season (so far). Something's up...and I don't think we'll know what it is...ever. I don't get the feeling of "this is who he really is". He's showed so much for quite a while, so I'm gonna roll with that, but I totally get the hesitation to buy in.

I have plenty of confidence in Zib.....just a drop off year for him....he'll be back.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's still got one more year left on his deal after this season, Big K....Zib's been a good player for us, just not this season (so far). Something's up...and I don't think we'll know what it is...ever. I don't get the feeling of "this is who he really is". He's showed so much for quite a while, so I'm gonna roll with that, but I totally get the hesitation to buy in.

I have plenty of confidence in Zib.....just a drop off year for him....he'll be back.

I know he does but if they want to retain him they are going to look into doing it before the end of next season. No way they want a part of him getting to July 1st or whenever free agency opens up next off season

I know he does but if they want to retain him they are going to look into doing it before the end of next season. No way they want a part of him getting to July 1st or whenever free agency opens up next off season

Agreed man!

We should have plenty of time to get a good idea of what's up, K. I'm thinking he'll pick it up in a few weeks...with him I think it's sooner than later. He's showing signs of life already. The setup to Kreider on Friday, and the shot attempts are there. He has to get a few through to the net now.

It's a shame too, if he were even what he was most of his career I'd be comfortable keeping him considering he probably signs for a bit less with covid cap around and takes the security. He's just been so awful though that if he ends up with a 10 goal 20 assist season it would be considered a step up from what he's doing now and then we start getting into the guessing game of which is the real Ziby.

Hopefully he has a 5G, 10A season, massively reducing his value when they go into this summer and negotiate his contract extension. And then he gets back to normal next season and going into his new deal :D

You need to change your name to Big Oz

You need to change your name to Big Oz

Ozzy the Great and Powerful would also suffice.

After watching Friday's game in the bar, I'm changing it to "Red, White, & BREW!"...damn I was a drunken mess playing that drinking game!!!

Friday night Rangers games are going to be a wild event for me going forward!!! :rofl:

im surprised you two arent best drinking buds

Covid won't last forever, CC. We're probably going to get a group together one night for a game, and have a blast!

I can see those posts now on the GDT:

"Ozzy just bought another round of shots and I feel like Howden does in the faceoff circle....LOST!"

Hopefully he has a 5G, 10A season, massively reducing his value when they go into this summer and negotiate his contract extension. And then he gets back to normal next season and going into his new deal :D

Yeah and hopefully my wife starts doing shit arou d the house. We all have pipe dreams

He's been almost unnaturally unlucky. Same with Lafreniere, actually.

He seems a bit slower than last year, but the real issue is that his shot isn't going in. A player like Mika is due to regress to at least the mean - he's not going to shoot 3.5% all season, and he's not going to be some 5% under flat PDO with a 93% on-ice save percentage.

I think he's got to start creeping closer to center with his shots, and maybe do a little less corner-picking and a little more "shoot for the rebound", but it really just looks like horrendous luck from the fancy-stats perspective.

He's down an entire point per game. Literally. 1.32 P/GP last year. 0.32 this year. Devastating.

They haven't played a game since?

He assisted on Laf's goal...

Woah. I didn’t know they canceled the rest of the game after his benching lol

I was legit asking, did he look any different afterwards? I didn’t physically see the 3rd period and I figured it’s also a good way to spark future conversation.

I was legit asking, did he look any different afterwards? I didn’t physically see the 3rd period and I figured it’s also a good way to spark future conversation.

I told you he assisted on Laf's goal!

There was no noticeable difference IMO.

I'm just not a fan of benching in game like that. I understand when there is a point. I. E. Players taking stupid penalties or repeated mistakes, etc. The effort is there though with Mika. Demote him to another like then but an emotionally broken player isn't going to get better with a benching. He clearly knows what's up. You're almost better off healthy scratching him rather than screwing up an entire game line combos by sitting him like that.

somebody said it here yesterday he had that 1000 yard stare in his eyes while he was slumped over on the bench for the whole game. Guys yucking it up on both sides of him at one point (maybe after Laf's goal) and he really was having none of it.

I'm just not a fan of benching in game like that. I understand when there is a point. I. E. Players taking stupid penalties or repeated mistakes, etc. The effort is there though with Mika. Demote him to another like then but an emotionally broken player isn't going to get better with a benching. He clearly knows what's up. You're almost better off healthy scratching him rather than screwing up an entire game line combos by sitting him like that.

He got it easy, IMO. Should have been benched and healthy scratched long ago.

Pete brought up yesterday that Lafreniere was trying to emulate Blackwell, as he saw him get rewarded with playing time. Well, then Zibanejad can’t get “gifted” playing time for looking like shit

Quinn reiterated all of it after last nights game.

As for the long stares - those worry me for concussions, not depression

He was more engaged and involved, but gripping the stick afraid to make mistakes. Joe and Sam were going off about his poor play and lack of confidence - to the point I wanted them to shut up.

The play he made on the Laf goal was good Zibanejad. Made a good defensive play and an instinctive pass. Shows he’s not overthinking or trying too hard

Hope that continues.

• Like 1

I also don't think it has anything to do with effort. He's not cheating the play or not hustling. He just seems to have lost his hands completely and he's often off balance. It really is almost unfathomable how a player so good all of a sudden lost his ability to play hockey. There almost has to be something we don't know. Some kind of injury, personal issues, covid, or something that would make sense of this. Anyway a night off or more might do him a world of good. At this point in this season it can't hurt.