Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Should Name Chris Kreider Captain in Wake of Tony DeAngelo Debacle

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

Rangers Should Name Chris Kreider Captain in Wake of Tony DeAngelo Debacle

I am not going to draw a straight line between the absence of a captain and the Dust-Up in the Tunnel between Tony DeAngelo and Alex Georgiev following Saturday night’s overtime defeat to the Penguins that has rocked the franchise’s world and all but certainly signaled the end of No. 77’s Broadway run.

Mark Messier, Vic Hadfield, Barry Beck, Ron Greschner and Ryan Callahan could all have been wearing the sweater and the “C” on Saturday and they would not have been able to prevent the spontaneous combustion that occurred.

But I do believe that the Rangers, who seem to be dealing with all sorts of issues as they struggle to find equilibrium out of the gate and recover the positive 2019-20 vibes they apparently left behind in the Toronto bubble, do need a captain. I think they do need an identifiable leader among the leadership group.

And at this juncture, there is no better man for the job than Chris Kreider, who in his 10th year with the organization has emerged as the voice of the team.
    And that would be Kreider, who has had blue blood running through his veins since joining the Rangers at the start of the 2012 playoffs just a couple of days off the BC Chestnut Hill campus.

There may be management concerns — there certainly had been through No. 20’s formative years — that Kreider internalizes too much, worries too much and that the captaincy would become a burden for him.

But the growth in Kreider’s stature has been steady even if consistency on the ice remains elusive. Saturday, visibly upset (and now we know why there was reason to be, beyond the outcome) on the Zoom call with the media, Kreider called the team out for its woebegone performance in letting another third-period lead get away.

This wasn’t Kreider in his locker speaking softly to an individual journalist in order to get the message out. This was Kreider using his platform to tell his teammates that it just hasn’t been good enough. And knowing Kreider, it is all but certain that he sent that message directly before blasting it into cyberspace, where it will remain for all eternity or until the cloud is full.
    A young team with a still young-in-NHL experience coach is in the midst of a crisis of confidence. The goaltending has been shaky. The structure has been transient. Now this, prompting the enforced departure of one of last season’s most important assets.

The Rangers need a leader. They need a captain.
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/ranger...site%20buttons
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    They definitely need a C, but i think Kreider is going to be traded in the near future. No point of giving it to Kreider.
    Rebuild Mode.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    It makes sense at first glance, at least to me, but the guy just disappears for games at a time.

Still, if they're going to name one, I can't think of a better candidate, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    They definitely need a C, but i think Kreider is going to be traded in the near future. No point of giving it to Kreider.
    We say this, but that doesn't necessarily make it true for two key reasons:

1. Kreider's deal has full trade protection through 2023-24.
    2. Lafreniere's next deal will not hit the books until 2023-24.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    We say this, but that doesn't necessarily make it true for two key reasons:

1. Kreider's deal has full trade protection through 2023-24.
    2. Lafreniere's next deal will not hit the books until 2023-24.
    Your right! Legitimate concern is does he deserve a C?
    Rebuild Mode.

Probably. I've said for years and maintain that leadership/letters are one of a few facets of the game we as fans have next to zero insight on. Being a captain or a team leader is a 24/7 job that carries a ton of responsibility, most of which never sees the light of day. What we see is like the tip of the iceberg.

In effect, he "deserves it" as long as the front office and coaching staff believe he do. They actually have that insight. They're making calculated decisions. We're just guessing because we like how hard a guy hits or tries or delivers a post-game remark.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    I've been pretty down on Kreider, and I gotta say, I kinda wished they had dealt him last season at the deadline. I don't think his deal is an absolute killer, but I'm thinking that if they give this guy the "C", he's going to be "the example" for all these kids. Kreider, when he's on is a top flight power forward, in my opinion. If we can get some kind of sustain to his game by making him Captain, then I say sure! Let's roll with it.

He would HAVE TO be the example night in and night out...every game, otherwise we're just jerkin' our gherkin with him. But I think he's earned some love, and I'll finally come around, and give him a chance to see if he can be the answer.

They can always change that later when Laffy becomes the NEW King of NY...which I think he eventually will.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    You do not make the captain the guy that takes weekly sabbaticals during each season. Stop it.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    You do not make the captain the guy that takes weekly sabbaticals during each season. Stop it.
    I've been on his ass for how long now, Keirik?? Forever!! I'd piss on a spark plug if I knew it'd start a fire under this guy's ass!!

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If this event proved anything it's not that there's no captain, it's that there is no leader.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    If this event proved anything it's not that there's no captain, it's that there is no leader.
    Perfect way of saying it!
    Rebuild Mode.

Spot on 3-1 !!!!!!!
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Boom.

Is the captaincy that important any more? Rangers traded their captain, Ryan Callahan, in 2014 and went to the Finals. Not saying it?s nothing merely perhaps it not nearly the big deal we think it is. But gives Brooks several easy columns every year that write themselves .Rangers right now are a bad team that has played poorly. Naming a captain doesn?t change those shortcomings. But it sounds great .

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not sure this is accurate. There may be no leader, but let's not pretend that having one would have somehow prevented this from happening. Two Blues players — Bortuzzo and Sanford — beat the living fuck out of each other the same year they won the Cup. Is that an indictment on Pietrangelo being a fake leader?
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Lundqvist had his moments, but I kind of thought of him as the team's defacto captain anyway.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm not sure this is accurate. There may be no leader, but let's not pretend that having one would have somehow prevented this from happening. Two Blues players ? Bortuzzo and Sanford ? beat the living fuck out of each other the same year they won the Cup. Is that an indictment on Pietrangelo being a fake leader?
    What's going on here is different than a fight during the heat of practice.

Senior Member Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Lundqvist had his moments, but I kind of thought of him as the team's de facto captain anyway.
    Similar to Luongo when he was in Vancouver.
    It's not personal, it's strictly business

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What's going on here is different than a fight during the heat of practice.
    No, I get that, but my point is that having a captain versus doesn't magically cure teams of problems between players, no matter their magnitude.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    There probably are leaders. Whether they do much is another thing. Ultimately the leader with a young team like this will be the coach with some longer term vets if they buy in to what Quinn sells.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast