• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stepan or McDonagh ? Which Trade Was Worse?

Phil

To recap:

To ARI: Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta

To NYR: Tony Deangelo, 7th overall (Lias Andersson)

--

To TBL: Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller

To NYR: Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, First-round pick in 2018 (Nils Lundkvist), Conditional second-round pick in 2019 (Karl Henriksson), Vladislav Namestnikov

To recap:

To ARI: Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta

To NYR: Tony Deangelo, 7th overall (Lias Andersson)

--

To TBL: Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller

To NYR: Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, First-round pick in 2018 (Nils Lundkvist), Conditional second-round pick in 2019 (Karl Henriksson), Vladislav Namestnikov

Tampa was by far a worse trade, I don't think it's even close. Stepan is who he is and Raanta...We had goalies coming. The Arizona trade was fine, we just made an awful pick.

I laugh angrily when thinking about the Arizona trade and cry miserably when being reminded of the Bolts trade. In the end we'll lose Howden for nothing to Seattle and Hajek surely returns to Europe for the rest of his small market career. Lundkvist must become Hedman 2.0 to make this deal halfway acceptable lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Both terrible. All we ended up to show for the Stepan Raanta trade was 60th overall pick.

Even if Lundqvist turns out to be an excellent player, he won't have been worth McDonaugh and Miller. You are talking a first unit defender on the best team in the league and a major scorer.

You'd make that 2nd trade all day long knowing that Lundkvist is in it so I don't know how that one could be considered bad. He's currently the most valuable piece listed there from either team in either trade.

Like yeah he's still a prospect and no lock to develop as projected, but based on current value and performance, he is through the roof. RD still 20 years old and already 20 goals and 54 points in 82 Swedish league games. On pace to break records for points of any player that age ever to play in that league. Plus he plays actual defense. It's like asking if you would trade Miller and McDonagh for Fox before he turned pro. Yes, great trade and then you hope he pans out.

The other trade was actually good too, we just botched the 7th overall pick.

Arizona deal was fine just a brutal bust with the 7 pick. We were so happy to get that pick for Stepan. It was just a major miss.

Tampa doesn?t bother me either. I forget JT Miller is in the league. McDonagh is clearly missed now. So I guess that?s the worse trade of the two currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tampa. We got nothing to show for it on the roster, 3 years later. Lundkvist has yet to play an NHL game, and isn't a lock to want to sign here, especially seeing the disaster of how the top picks in the last 2 years are being handled. Why would he want sign, when he can hold out and become a UFA.

Tampa. We got nothing to show for it on the roster, 3 years later. Lundkvist has yet to play an NHL game, and isn't a lock to want to sign here, especially seeing the disaster of how the top picks in the last 2 years are being handled. Why would he want sign, when he can hold out and become a UFA.

I'm pretty sure he'll be here this season when his Swedish one ends. Why wouldn't he sign here. We're the NY Rangers and we suddenly have a big opening on RD?

Both trades are actually fine in theory, but they're both killed by poor evaluation of talent.

The Yotes trade: A good but older pro and a backup goalie for a high 1st rounder and a reclamation project with huge upside. You'll take that all day long. Obviously, using that pick on Andersson submarines it.

The Bolts trade: A 1st rounder, conditional second, two "top" prospects and Namestnikov. Now, if Howden and Hajek were actually top prospects that would've been good. Possibly even a win, given how Lundkvist looks. But the fact that one of the prospects can't make what is possibly the worst D corps in the world 3 years in, and the other is a 4th liner means the deal is laughably bad.

If they had their evaluations right on Andersson (ie pick someone else) and Howden/Hajek (ie ask for someone else) both trades would've been fine. Ultimately it's on Gortons plate, but it doesn't reflect tremendously well on Gordy and his people, to put it mildly.

Arizona deal was fine just a brutal bust with the 7 pick. We were so happy to get that pick for Stepan. It was just a major miss.

Tampa doesn?t bother me either. I forget JT Miller is in the league. McDonagh is clearly missed now. So I guess that?s the worse trade of the two currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You forget Miller is in the league because he's a Canuck. He's almost p/g there lol.

Both trades are actually fine in theory, but they're both killed by poor evaluation of talent.

The Yotes trade: A good but older pro and a backup goalie for a high 1st rounder and a reclamation project with huge upside. You'll take that all day long. Obviously, using that pick on Andersson submarines it.

The Bolts trade: A 1st rounder, conditional second, two "top" prospects and Namestnikov. Now, if Howden and Hajek were actually top prospects that would've been good. Possibly even a win, given how Lundkvist looks. But the fact that one of the prospects can't make what is possibly the worst D corps in the world 3 years in, and the other is a 4th liner means the deal is laughably bad.

If they had their evaluations right on Andersson (ie pick someone else) and Howden/Hajek (ie ask for someone else) both trades would've been fine. Ultimately it's on Gortons plate, but it doesn't reflect tremendously well on Gordy and his people, to put it mildly.

Doesn't this all mean that the deals were bad lol?

I really hated trading McDonagh. He was a defensive stalwart here and even though he's aging a bit, this team could use as much defensive help as they could get. But, I understand cap situations even though I don't recall what their cap situation was at that time. I thought getting what was the #7 pick for a guy like Stepan was huge. They just whiffed big time on the pick. I liked Stepan, but he had already peaked here and really wasn't going to get any better. Trading Raanta kind of sucked since he really seemed to have found a home here, and Allaire was just great for him. They went with Pavelec who wasn't that great, and now could really use some goaltending stability.

I guess if I had to choose, I would definitely say the Tampa trade, even though they completely flubbed the seventh overall pick. If you're going to trade a guy like McDonagh to Tampa, and not get one of their really good prospects or defenseman on the active roster, that's not a good job to me.

The deal that got Lias here was great!! I watch that highlight of him tripping over the wire at least once a week!! :rofl:

The most impressive thing about Lias Andersson is that the unquestioned highlight of his time in NY is him tripping over a wire during introductions.

The defenseman that was picked 6 spots ahead of Lundkvist is playing 20 minutes a night and being used in all situations as a 21 year old rookie. Fox played 20 min a night last year and put up 40 points as a 21 year old rookie last year. Huge disasters. 18/19 year old forwards adjusting to the NHL isn't gonna impact the decision of a 21 year old d-man.