• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Drury No Longer Interested in Pens GM Role

Phil

"As of late Thursday afternoon twenty different candidates had expressed and reached out interest to the Penguins for that [GM] job. Some of their own directly, others, other people doing it on their behalf. Some of the names on the radar for the Penguins include Jason Botterill, Chris Drury, Ron Hextall, Mark Hunter, Tom Fitzgerald, etc."

— Pierre LeBrun, paraphrased from the latest Insider Trading

https://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-discussing-the-present-and-future-of-the-penguins~2128090

2/3/21 Update:

Tweet:

7. Pittsburgh will begin interviews with its “long list” of GM candidates this week. Many names are already out there, but what we’re still waiting for is clarity on Rangers assistant GM Chris Drury. If he’s involved in this process, he’s a serious contender.

A couple newer names to keep an eye on: former Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk and Jason Karmanos, who was part of the Penguins’ front office until being fired during the off-season. (More on him in a second.) Nieuwendyk has preferred low-profile roles in Carolina and Seattle over the past few years, but there are rumblings Pittsburgh would like to talk to him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-sabres-islanders-postponement-cause-concern/

It's not all merit/performance based, just like any other job.

A buddy of mine went from working construction and out of hockey, to running a regional scouting program for an NHL team overnight because of a regime change involving "his people".

They're all known to each other, many have been close since childhood, theres's a lot of dynamics at play.

Drury's resume isn't incredibly long, but it isn't short, either, and he's been promoted multiple times within the NYR organization. He was hired as Director of Player Development in September of 2015, was promoted to AGm a year later, and named HFD GM a year after that. He's also had a direct role in recruitment efforts. He was one of the reasons Vesey cited feeling comfortable signing here, and I'm pretty sure they've continuously used his college connections to attract NCAA players — a practice they're pretty reliant on of late — since he was first hired.

Given the small circles the NHL tends to operate within, it's not all that shocking he's seen as having rising stock around the league.

Drury's resume isn't incredibly long, but it isn't short, either, and he's been promoted multiple times within the NYR organization. He was hired as Director of Player Development in September of 2015, was promoted to AGm a year later, and named HFD GM a year after that. He's also had a direct role in recruitment efforts. He was one of the reasons Vesey cited feeling comfortable signing here, and I'm pretty sure they've continuously used his college connections to attract NCAA players — a practice they're pretty reliant on of late — since he was first hired.

Given the small circles the NHL tends to operate within, it's not all that shocking he's seen as having rising stock around the league.

His biggest success is the Hartford Wolfpack.

I think that's his point. There's actually no history of success in the business.

Let's call a spade a spade - Old Boys Club

Drury has a chance to be coach or GM for the Rangers next season if shit doesn't pick up.

is it that, or is there something going on with Pitt that is making the job unattractive?

there were rumors that a trade that Rutherford tried to make was slapped down by someone higher up. If I'm a GM taking a job I want to be able to take the reigns and make moves, not have an ownership/higher management step in and tell me how to run the team.

pure speculation could it be that several good players want out? Malkin has looked disinterested

It might be a bad time to jump on that horse. Let the wheels fall off and be the guy to rebuild them from scratch, not the guy who gets blamed for the implosion

is it that, or is there something going on with Pitt that is making the job unattractive?

there were rumors that a trade that Rutherford tried to make was slapped down by someone higher up. If I'm a GM taking a job I want to be able to take the reigns and make moves, not have an ownership/higher management step in and tell me how to run the team.

pure speculation could it be that several good players want out? Malkin has looked disinterested

It might be a bad time to jump on that horse. Let the wheels fall off and be the guy to rebuild them from scratch, not the guy who gets blamed for the implosion

This.

Sid and Malkin are on their last legs and there's nothing in the cupboard. No draft capital. And who knows about ownership.

The demise of the Pens will be sweet.

Pittsburgh is the complete opposite of the rangers.. in complete denial that their run is over. unless they have some secret prospects in the system that no one else knows about I don?t see this team being any better than they currently are any time soon. Sid?s not even that old but the team around him is really nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rutherford either had a deal in place for Letang or was trying to deal him and it got shelved from above which is why he left. So whoever comes in is coming in with one hand tied behind their backs like most of you have pointed out. From outward appearances it would seem like Malkin is disinterested (maybe he wants out and in that case they would move him), but apparently Letang and obviously Sid aren't going anywhere.

Just think what they could get if they went to the big three and said we're rebuilding so there's no point in being here and then traded them at the deadline. The haul from those three would leave them in great shape for the future.

I can see the other side of the argument. You can five rebuilds without ever getting a player like Crosby, so you want to try and get as much out of him for as long as you can.