• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jim Rutherford Resigns as GM of Pens for Personal Reasons

Phil

Honestly, I'm not surprised considering how the Penguins were embarrassed by the Canadiens in the qualifying round of the Playoffs. I'm surprised by the timing. I think he could've left after the second Cup win in 2017, allowing him to go out on a George Constanza high note. Look at his moves after that Cup win, and you'll see why.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

"I think we have to see how the rest of the season goes. If the Pittsburgh Penguins don't qualify for the playoffs, if they don't do well in the playoffs, I think there is the potential for a seismic shift. If new management comes on board and says we have to embrace a renovation here, the Penguins as an organization owe it to Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and to some degree Kris Letang, to have a conversation and say this is the direction we are going in. Malkin has one more year after this season remaining on his contract, but do those players — especially Sidney Crosby — want to chase a Stanley Cup elsewhere or is retiring as a Penguin equally important? The direction of the club over the next two years is going to determine how that discussion goes as early as this summer, but imagine if those names were in play at some point int he near future?"

— Darren Dreger, paraphrased from the latest episode of Insider Trading

https://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-discussing-the-present-and-future-of-the-penguins~2128090