• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wandavision

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I love it, honestly. Appointment television is great for keeping people guessing. It drives genuine interest. Dumping every episode is wonderful for a quick consumption, but it's the Chinese food method of delivery. You'll just be hungry again an hour later. It also drastically reduces the kind of immediate spoilers that absolutely ruin the fun for anyone who wasn't fast enough to watch it the night it releases.

I wish more companies would do this and stagger their releases.

I love it, honestly. Appointment television is great for keeping people guessing. It drives genuine interest. Dumping every episode is wonderful for a quick consumption, but it's the Chinese food method of delivery. You'll just be hungry again an hour later. It also drastically reduces the kind of immediate spoilers that absolutely ruin the fun for anyone who wasn't fast enough to watch it the night it releases.

I wish more companies would do this and stagger their releases.

Totally agree. Especially a show like WandaVision that relies on secrecy.

I'm making a wild generalization here, but in my circles I find it's people who generally have nothing else to do who not only binge these shows but ruin it for those of us who can't. If you want to watch the entire season of The Boyz the day it comes out because you don't have a job or have kids or whatever....Do you—but shut the fuck up on Twitter and the group text you god damn stupid fucking moron.

Totally agree. Especially a show like WandaVision that relies on secrecy.

Right. There's certain genres this just completely applies to. Remember the journey for the first season of True Detective? Absolutely incredible. That show is still good, but a cultural dud if you just fucking dumped all eight episodes on HBO Max one Friday night. There's just something so natural and engaging about releasing a show on, say, a Friday night, and then being able to actually talk about that episode — which is a lot harder to 'miss' than an entire season — with friends/family even if they don't watch until Sunday.

There's almost no theorizing that happens with binge-watching. It's devour consumption, that requires that everyone eat as fast as you, and enjoy feeling that bloated, and somehow still hunger for another season.

I'm making a wild generalization here, but in my circles I find it's people who generally have nothing else to do who not only binge these shows but ruin it for those of us who can't. If you want to watch the entire season of The Boyz the day it comes out because you don't have a job or have kids or whatever....Do you—but shut the fuck up on Twitter and the group text you god damn stupid fucking moron.

Same. I'm pretty sure that's a universal standard.

:rofl:

I guess I don't disagree, but I still prefer a long binge session.

I'm not anti-binge. I'm just anti-binge everything. Appointment television allows for organic growth. They build suspense in a community. Like I just said above, the ability to theorize on the go is just so much more attractive to me than having to watch an entire season of something to only be able to guess on what might happen in the next season. I want to guess what's happening in the next episode.

I'm not anti-binge. I'm just anti-binge everything. Appointment television allows for organic growth. They build suspense in a community. Like I just said above, the ability to theorize on the go is just so much more attractive to me than having to watch an entire season of something to only be able to guess on what might happen in the next season. I want to guess what's happening in the next episode.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. Watching The Boys, WandaVision, and The Mandalorian has gotten me used to the traditional wait despite the platform. I prefer it from the discussion perspective and I'm sure the companies relish the hype that comes with weekly discussion. I think binging works for Netflix productions because some of them are produced quite literally with the purpose of binging. I have no issue with that style, I'll consume it if it's good, but it also comes at the cost of a different type of storytelling and editing.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, did you guys check out the post-credits? This is 100% a direct connection to Multiverse of Madness.

It also a direct connection to the next Captain Marvel movie. I kind of hope they do go on to do a second season of this, there is so much they can do with this. I was hoping they were going to introduce Mephisto in this and bring him in as one of the main bad guys now that Thanos is gone.

• Phil changed the title to Wandavision